Locast now on TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by OrangeCrush, Sep 25, 2019.

1. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Looks like Locast launched a TiVo app:

Locast Launches a TiVo App - Cord Cutters News

Has anyone tried this? I'm not in a market that Locast covers so I haven't tried. I figure it's just a standard app like Netflix/Hulu/Plex and doesn't actually integrate into the main guide or allow recording but I'd be pretty impressed if this offered the full TiVo experience for folks who can't get good reception of their locals.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I tried locast several months ago on a firetv with a vpn set to a market that locast covers and it seemed to work fine. With Tivo I think you would have to configure a vpn on your router.

3. suzannesstud

suzannesstud Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Do we know when this app will become available, and if this app is a regular TiVo app to be in the app menu or if it is something in the Vewd App Store you can access from the menu? I have a Premier Series 4 which has integrated cable and antenna all-in-one.

4. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade Member

Aug 20, 2013
    But... why? If you have a Tivo, one would assume you're getting locals from either OTA or cable. If you purchased a Tivo to use solely as a media streamer, well bless your heart.

compuguy and dishrich like this.
  5. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    I can't believe someone actually went through the effort to create an app for TiVo. What's next, locast on a Blackberry?

I'm not sure what the use case would be to have locast on a cable subscription, but I do see a use for OTA where a user may not be able to pick up certain stations based on antenna design/location.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Poor/limited reception?

OrangeCrush likes this.
  7. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a CableCARD TiVo on Spectrum, and I can tell you that Spectrum in my area only carries some of the local broadcast subchannels. I could see myself using a Locast app to view the local subchannels that Spectrum doesn't carry.

wish_bgr and compuguy like this.
  8. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    This will be more useful on the dongle to come, but they already have an android app anyway.

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Locast only does the main channels.

compuguy likes this.
  10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    In some areas, it picks up at least some sub-channels as well--e.g. a quick check just now showed Locast providing StartTV, where StartTV broadcasts on a main station's sub-channel.

compuguy likes this.
  11. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I tried using Locast and they are obnoxious. They are supposedly a non-profit, but every 5 minutes they interrupt your programming asking for a monthly "donation". The more you watch the more obnoxious it becomes. Sounds more like a "fee" than a donation.

12. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Non profit doesn't mean it has to be free. Not sure which is more obnoxious, asking for donations or expecting to be able to use a service without paying your share of expenses.
    Locast could require subscriptions. Users need to put up with frequent reminders or pay up.

compuguy and kpeters59 like this.
  13. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    Locast also has very limited areas they cover. No Florida cities at all.

14. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    … And may not be around in the future depending on how their court case turns out, either.

15. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Definition of the word "donation": Donation is the act by which the owner of a thing voluntarily transfers the title and possession of the same from himself to another person, without any consideration; a gift.

If the service is not free then don't ask for a "donation". Most churches ask for a donation, but if you don't give one that doesn't mean you can't attend a service. If Locast wants your money then it should charge a subscription fee, not a donation.

16. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Locast is in the VEWD app, under Apps > News. Don't know if it matters if you're in a covered area or not, but that's where it is for me.

Not great performance. And it hung my box when exiting.

compuguy, wish_bgr and Donbadabon like this.
  17. gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Active Member

Nov 5, 2015
    If they *required* subscriptions it is not clear that their legal framework would survive (duck test would apply, just like Aereo). Strongly requesting voluntary donations (by passing the plate down the aisle regularly) is not quite the same (legally).

18. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The "loophole", locast is operated by a non-profit. Aereo was a for profit company. There is a non-profit exemption allowing re-transmission. Non-profits are allowed to charge. Look at museums, zoos, consumers reports...

19. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Interesting (I must admit, I hadn't paid any attention to Vewd before), but I don't think that's what they mean when they talk about a TiVo app? I'm assuming something more "native". (There's a Tubi app under Vewd, and also a native one. I'm not sure about other overlap.)

But yeah, that's the only one I see so far.

Edit: Wait, now I see: "Vewd was formerly known as Opera TV or Opera TV App Store." So maybe this is the only version there will be.