Locals over Sat for portland, or 1/10/2006

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by sriggins, Dec 10, 2005.

1. sriggins

sriggins New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Just had my DirecTiVoHD installed. Had a little BBQ antenna installed inside, works fine. He said 1/10/2006 is the date for the HD channels to be available over the sat for here in Portland, or.

What is the quality difference between say OTA ABC and a DTV hosted ABC? Does DTV re-compress the signal in mpeg2 or something like that?

Steve

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I wouldn't hold my breath expecting local HD channels in Portland next month. They're just now going "live" with the new MPEG4 satellite in a few cities (Detroit, Atlanta, San Francisco).

Initial quality reports from the first rollout cities is that the quality is quite good, although OTA is still a bit better.

3. Fluffybear

Fluffybear New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Georgia
    If my calculation is correct (according to all the official press releases), DirecTV now offers HD LIL in 10 cities with LA and NY suppose to go live with MPEG 4 this month.

It is very possible that Portland could be going live in January. Portland could be one of the initial markets they plan for Spaceway 2

4. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Don't hold your breath :)

5. sriggins

sriggins New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Well the installer said he has heard from 4 people in the officde that 1/10 is our date. Time will tell!

My OTA seems to work for now... curious to see the quality difference!

6. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    I think DirecTV is planning for HD locals in at least 100 markets, or is it 150. That's with 4 satellites. So it wouldn't surprise me if they can accomodate Portland, which is DMA #23, with just one operational Spaceway satellite.

Also, some reports have said that NY and LA won't get MPEG-4 until later, since they're already served by existing MPEG-2 HD. That's two more DMA's that should be "ahead" of PDX that are being skipped.

Finally, DirecTV seems to be quickly pushing HD out to many markets. I would have thought they would be much more deliberate in the rollout. That also points to them getting to PDX in the near future.

But only time will tell. Also maybe KOIN will again be holdouts.

7. Fluffybear

Fluffybear New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Georgia
    A little birdie told me today that 12 more markets are going live prior to SuperBowl Sunday. DirecTV wants to get as many markets online possible prior to the superbowl and winter olympics.

8. formulaben

formulaben Formula Tivo Racing

Jan 27, 2003
    Les Bois
    What a brilliant strategy. No wonder I never watch that channel...

9. kepper

kepper Member

Nov 28, 2003
    southern...

10. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Hmmm .... good news, maybe :)
    Seattle should be up near the top the list since we're DMA#12.

11. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Yeah, and after many, many "lean" years you now actually have a football team that's worth watching in HD. :)

12. Fluffybear

Fluffybear New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Georgia

13. mikeg_ms

mikeg_ms Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Seattle

Naah, we're 13 on their list. When they released the inital list Tampa was ahead of us. Some speculate it's location, others that Tampa has outgrown us.

Me? I think it's like ESPN, they just forgot we existed.

14. Onazuka

Onazuka New Member

Sep 22, 2001
    Maryland
    12 more in addition to the original 12 would mean the top 24 markets and I'm in Baltimre, DMA #24 ! :up:

15. Fluffybear

Fluffybear New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Georgia
    The only thing is 12 more markets does not always mean 13-24. DirecTV did skip Seattle (DMA 12) in favor of Tampa (DMA 13) during this go around.

16. andbye

andbye New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Sacramento
    What is the source/link for these DMA numbers? I want to find out the number and probable timing for the Sacramento market?

17. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I think maybe Brent Mussberger must have some influence on the DMA picks. After all, he LOVES Seattle, doesn't he? Was he not a Sonics fan when they won the championship? (choke, spit, gurgle!)

18. qposner

qposner New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    KOIN is a joke. EVERY year we get jobbed out of the UGA-Florida game for the Multnomah County Humane Society Telethone. Now, I am all for the Humane Society, but in place of the Cocktail Party?!?! Travesty...

So, will it be worth it to upgrade or just stick with OTA?

19. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN

Actually Tampa has now overtaken Seattle to become DMA #12.

20. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding TiVo Special Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR
    until D* puts up something new in HD (besides loals, which I get perfectly with an antenna) and then offer an HD DVR comparable to my HD Tivo, I'm happy to stick with the equipment I have.