LocalChannels+RCA DirecTV+TiVo Unit

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jhigday, Dec 21, 2005.

1. jhigday

jhigday New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Cut a long story short, my grandparents gave me a early christmas present and bought a TiVo unit from best buy.

I Hooked it up, it works, but isn't the best(Changing channels suck, theres a delay of 5 seconds).

But ther real problem is that we pay DirecTV for local channels since in the area i'm at my family is not able to receive local channels via local cable. So, on my RCA box, I had originally for sattelite hookup, shows everything perfectly. The TiVo doesn't even recognizes that the local channels exist. I figured out a way that i could change the channel to them, and make it display the channel number, but it will not add information to the program guide, even though my DirecTV RCA Unit always showed what was on that channel.

Is there a fix to this? I tried using the search, but couldn't find anything. Sorry if this question was asked previously.

2. tbb1226

tbb1226 TiVo Junkie

Sep 16, 2004
    Royal Oak, MI
    How long since you activated the unit? Channel and Guide data can take a day or so to load and index. You may also need to edit your settings for "channels you receive" and "favorites" to enable the locals.

Also, with your first "phone home" call, your receiver (assuming it's not an R10 model) should update software versions, which should improve the speed of the system dramatically.

3. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    First, is the TiVo a Stand Alone TiVo? If so, then you must select the correct guide when you set it up which will then include the DirecTV local channel information.

How old is the DirecTV RCA unit? Does it show the local channels with low numbered channel numbers or 100 plus sequence channel numbers? All of this is important. Older DirecTV receivers cannot display low numbered channel and use the higher numbered sequences.

4. jhigday

jhigday New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    It's a stand alone TiVo.

It's been a few days since since i first hooked up TiVo.

my RCA DirecTV unit(without Tivo Hooked Up), showed the local channels perfectly even if the digits were only two.

I entered my Zip Code correctly, and chose Sattelite(theres no cable) on the guided setup, is there something specific that I probably messed up on?

EDIT: And on the changing the channel thing, I use the TiVO remote, so i type in the channel, it will load the info for that channel on the TiVo, then the TiVo will change the channel on the sattelite box. The Process is painfully slow.

5. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    When you selected Satellite, you should have had a selection to include the local channels.

And how are you talking to the RCA receiver, are you using IR or a direct serial connection? If you are using IR, I highly recommend that you use a serial connection. Although either is slower than just changing the channels directly on the receiver.

Once you get use to using the DVR as a DVR, you will get out of the habit of channel surfing. You also might want to get out of the habit of using the old fashion TV Guide like grid. The TV Guide like grid is almost useless compared to the TiVo guide on a DVR. I always channel surfed when I used a TV directly or even when I used a DirecTV receiver, but I got out of that old fashion habit when I started using a DVR, but it is a very hard habit to break.

6. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Once your "now playing" list is starting to fill up, you'll find little use for channel surfing. That 5 second delay is no longer an issue for me.

7. jhigday

jhigday New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Thanks for your help, it was in the set-up.

And i'm using an IR connection, due to my RCA DirecTV receiver not being able to using the direct serial connection.

Also after the guided setup, the channels change ALOT quicker, i dont know why, it just does.

Thanks again, this is awesome.

8. STANTHAMAN

STANTHAMAN New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I too have a RCA Directv Receiver (HD model DTC210) using the IR (these RCAs don't have serial connections) and it takes about 7 seconds to change a station. Very frustrating.
    And while I do rely on the "Now Playing" list for most of my viewing, I also do some surfing, and this delay is mind-numbing.

Did you say the guided setup for TIVO fixed the channel problem? Which problem, the channel change performance issue or the no recoginizing the local channels?

Thanks,