Local stations in Chicago with single LNB?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by brucedl, Jul 26, 2007.

1. brucedl

brucedl Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Chicago,...
    Does anyone know if you can receive local stations in Chicago with a single LNB (round) dish? I am moving into an apartment and they are offering DTV as part of the rent, but I saw that they only have a single LNB, which obviously kills my chances of utilizing my dual tuner DTivo box, but I'm wondering if I'll even be able to Tivo the local channels with their current setup.

Thanks!

2. stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    You can, they come in on the 101 sat.

3. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    And you can, most probably, use the dual tuners.

it is virtually impossible to provide effective DTV service to multiple units with a single LNB.

Most apartment systems use a stacked system and all you need is a destacker to drive mult tuners.

4. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    The phrase "dual LNB" refers to the number of outputs of a one LNB dish. A two LNB dish usually has a pair of dual LNBs. The triple LNB dish has a pair of dual LNBs and a special Sat-C single output LNB. I don't think a true, single LNB has been built since the '90's.

-Robert

5. brucedl

brucedl Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Chicago,...
    Thanks...considering there is only a single wire and jack coming into my rental unit, I don't see how I could use the dual tuners.

6. brucedl

brucedl Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Chicago,...
    Plus, this is a two-unit building, so potentially, each unit only has one line (the dish has two lines coming out of it) and thus only supports one receiver. Am I correct in assuming that if that is the case, then the only way I could use the dual tuners inside my unit is if I added a destacker -inside- my unit?

7. stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    What they are saying is if a stacker/destacker is being used you could potentially put a destacker on that single line coming into your apartment and split the signal so you could utilize both tuners on your dtivo. You might have a physical single head lnb dish but that single lnb might have 2 lines coming out of it and into the multiplexer. You should definitely have a detailed talk with who is in charge of the directv in your apt building.

8. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    If they are running one wire from an LNB to each one of the 2 units then there is absolutely no way to use two tuners unless you can get them to install a multiswitch and get you a second run.

A destacker will ONLY do you any good if the signal is first stacked and this requires two feeds to the stacker that then places them on one wire for ease of distribution.

The destacker takes the stacked signal and returns it to the two wires required for two tuners.

Destackers are fairly cheap but stackers are quite a bit more costly.

If the signal is not already stacked then your best bet is to get the landlord to install a mulitswitch and run a second line to your unit. you could even supply the MS (great MS's can be bought for under $40.00). You can tell your landlord that a second line to the other unit will increase it's value as well.

9. stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    If you scroll down just a bit you'll see a fairly decent description of what we're all talking about: http://9thtee.com/dssstuff.htm

OLdDog brings up a good point, you and the other tenants should talk to your landlord, between all of you, or even some of you, you could potentially get a new dish and a stacker installed at a pretty decent price, and then each apt could decide if they need 2 lines and get a destacker.

10. brucedl

brucedl Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Chicago,...
    I already own a multiswitch which I can take with me but I think the issue is more holes in the house. Thanks for the 9thtee link.

11. stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    It's not the multiswitch (splits your 2 or 4 output lines from your dish into 4/8/etc out so you can have several receivers off of one dish that would normally only give you up to 4 lines out).

It's the stacker/destacker. The stacker puts both lines by the dish onto 1 line. Then inside the destacker breaks the signals that are running on that single line into 2 so you don't have to make anymore holes or anything.

What I was saying about talking to others in your building and the management is you could all get together and get a stacker/destacker (you would need 1 destacker for each apt that wants multiple lines) and everyone could benefit from it, versus just you buying the equipment.

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yes Directv still uses the "True" Single LNB for getting Locals on the 72.5 Sat if you live in an area where you get locals on that Sat. We do, and they installed that Dish at the Start of this Year. :D

13. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    So some LNB manufacturer still takes the time to produce single LNB's. I would think the additional packaging, tracking, etc would outweigh the cost of the internal electronics in the dual LNB.

14. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Unless they have been sitting in a Warehouse somewhere and Direct just wants to use them all up :D