Local stations changing affiliates what does this mean for one pass

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tater2, Jan 15, 2016.

1. tater2

tater2 Tarheel Tivo

Jun 6, 2001
    Youngsville,...
    Just found out my local CBS station is switching to NBC next month. The NBC station will switch to CBS

I have one passes setup for each network. It's set to record that station only. Will I have to modify all of the one passes to all channels after they change or is there a better way?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. tater2

tater2 Tarheel Tivo

Jun 6, 2001
    Youngsville,...
    Thank you. I hope it's not a big issue but it's still a pain

4. tater2

tater2 Tarheel Tivo

Jun 6, 2001
    Youngsville,...
    Great they just said the change was going to be on Feb 29 Leap year day. I am sure this won't be an issue :-(

5. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    I would. Then change it to the new channel after things settle. Would have been more trivial had TiVo not eliminated multiple season passes.

6. mrschimpf

mrschimpf Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Within the 11 days before the switch you should be able to switch your CBS passes from WRAL to WNCN, and then vice-versa with NBC passes from WNCN to WRAL as the listings populate per day. Both stations are pretty much in a position to make this work for the sake of their audiences. Just go into the OnePass options for the show's new channel and switch it to WNCN or WRAL's slot when a new episode populates, and unless Gracenote/Tribune bungles it terribly, you'll be all set.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  7. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    If you have the One Pass set to All Channels, there is no issue.

If you have the One Pass set to WRAL or WCNC only, then there is an issue.

Simply change them to All Channels now just to be on the safe side.

8. Patrickcg

Patrickcg Member

Jul 15, 2003
    The same thing happened here in Indianapolis with CBS and the CW last year. The TiVo handled it fine here. It will really depend on if the guide reflects the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Forgot to mention you should check with www.zap2it.com since it uses the same database as Tivo. I find zap2it 99% accurate. TiVo is about 90%.

10. tater2

tater2 Tarheel Tivo

Jun 6, 2001
    Youngsville,...
    Thanks for all the suggestions

11. namwoljr

namwoljr Guest

Aug 8, 2014
    Whoa, this is huge news! WRAL is the dominant station by far in the Raleigh-Durham market. CBS is likely to regret not negotiating a deal with them.

I wonder how this will impact WILM in Wilmington? It's owned by the same company and simulcasts the local news out of Raleigh as its sister station, and is also the local CBS affiliate. If WILM switched to NBC, we'd have two local NBC stations and no CBS station. Can't wrap my head around how they're going to deal with that down here. If they keep CBS at WILM, they won't be able to mention any NBC programming lead-ins ("Coming up after the local news is NBC evening news with Lester Holt!").

I guess I'll find out in a month and a half, haha.

12. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Rerun guided setup?
    Or as another posts says set desired program(s) to record on all channels.

13. KimHedrick

KimHedrick Member

Oct 12, 2014
    North...
    You guys need to be careful with your call letters. WCNC is the Charlotte NBC affiliate. The Raleigh area station moving to CBS is WNCN. :)

14. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    They did the same thing in Philadelphia area a few years back. I don't recall having to do anything to my pass list.

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Philly loves to change stations and networks.

16. mrschimpf

mrschimpf Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I correct my post...I was a bit tired last night. :D

17. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I originally posted WNCN - saw yours and thought I was wrong, so I changed it. :eek:

Oh well. My mistake for not double checking.

18. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    They did the same thing here back in the late 90's or early 2000's. Our local ABC station was owned by Westinghouse before they took over CBS. The local stations owned by Westinghouse all switched over to CBS and swapped networks with the other station that used to be CBS. I don't recall ever having an issue with guide data, but I don't recall if this was pre-Tivo or not when it took place. I should think that any season passes you have set up for any given program should readjust automatically for changes in the channels in the guide. I'd just keep an eye on your upcoming recording list and make sure they show up after the channel switch.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This may be irrelevant, but I want to throw it out as an observation. Last year, when the crap started with politics, I set a recording, using the guide, for Miss Universe. In a few days that program moved to a different channel/network. My To Do List did not change. It remained fixed and recorded the wrong program. I know this isn't a 1P and it was channel & time specific, but it's something to consider.

20. HD_Dude

HD_Dude I Want HD in my Car

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Great question, since this is happening in other cities too. Boston is about to go down that path also.

But for a TiVo owner? I wouldn't overthink it.

Easiest way: just set your one pass to 'new only' and set it to 'all stations.'

Then, as you get close to the swap day, just look at the guide and see if the shows are now on the new stations. If so, done.

If not, just change your One Pass to reflect the new station.

Good luck!