Loaning a Tivo to a friend

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Sadara, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS

Advertisements

I have a friend who I've been talking to about Tivo for awhile now. I think he would be much happier with Tivo. I'm thinking of loaning him one of my Tivo's so he can check it out first hand instead of just hearing me tell him about it. If he decides he likes it, he can buy his own or I'll give them one for Christmas or something. Would their be any problem with loaning him one of my Tivo's? In other words, do the kind Tivo folks dislike this?

2. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I'm assuming you have multiple unit service discount on your additional units and if they call out from a different residence, that could be a problem.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    worse case the bill would go up to 12.95 per month after some warnings. For a few months I doubt it would be a problem adn is a good plan to let the friend comprehend what TiVo does and how it improves things by freeing you from a network show schedule. It takes a month to really get that and be weaned off "live Tv".

4. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    I've done this several times. Tivo doesn't monitor where the daily calls are being made from. And heck, if it results in new business for Tivo, we're all better off. Go for it. Just remind the borrower that if he decides to buy one that you want the Tivo rewards credit for it!

5. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS

Advertisements

Thanks for the info, just what I needed to know!! I don't think he would be dialing in, he'd be going over a broadband connection anyway, but I didn't think it would matter!

I will make sure I get Tivo Rewards credit when he finally decides to buy!!

6. simonkodousek

simonkodousek New Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Nashotah, WI
    Some stores such as Best Buy have a really good rebate offer going on right now. You can get a TiVo for free with the rebate, so if your friend wanted TiVo, he should try it out with one of these units. :)

7. albrandwood

albrandwood Member

Aug 12, 2002
    TiVo doesn't really care if they are in the same State, let alone the same ZIP ...

I have machines in three seperate states (thanks to kids taking them to college) ... never had a problem ... only ever once queried by TiVo support staff ...

It is against the TnC of TiVo to have them in different houses, but at a technical level, there are no restrictions.

@

8. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Just tell Tivo you are spreading the word!!!

Maybe thats a idea to get new business. Go around malls and that actually showing people what Tivo is and how it works. Just think of the referrals you could get :D