LNB newby question, not in FAQ

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by xr400, Feb 15, 2006.

1. xr400

xr400 New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Ohio
    I read FAQ. Very interesting. I want to understand what I have, before I consider adding anything else. Got D* last summer, Dish has 3 LNB I think (3 flashlights), and got 1 DVR and 1 D* tuner, and local stations. So installer ran 3 coax from dish, 2 to DVR, 1 to 2nd receiver. So if I want to swap 2nd receiver to Dual tuner DVR do I use a multiswitch and/or should I have another coax from the dish?
    I am confused because the FAQ says you need a dual LNB (4 coax) for a multiswitch to lock each on odd or even. So why do I have 3 LNB ? Is it for locals, and if so how does that figure in? Why only 3 coax?

Bonus questions; My 1st DVR is Samsung 4080 w/Tivo, I don't want to deal with multiple interfaces, so I want the next to work the same. Will any D* Tivo DVR function the same or do I need the exact same model? Can I just get it on ebay?
    Thanks, this site is great.

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    The short version is that each LNB (flashlight) is looking at different satellites. There is a multi-switch built in to the dish that takes the information from each LNB and feeds it down the coax (RG6) so that each tuner can see the channels it needs.

The built in multi-switch in the Dish has 4 outputs. You are using 3 of them now. If you want to upgrade your standard D* receiver to a DVR you just need to run another line from that receiver to the Dish.

As far as DVR functionality, as long as you don't get a R15 (non-TiVo D* DVR) or an HR10-250 (TiVo powered HD DVR) they'll all work/look the same. The HR10-250 may someday get upgraded to similar software and the differences are primarily in speed of the software and the fact that it doesn't have folders.

The R15 will NEVER look and work like your Samsung. It may do similar things, but it will always be different.

3. xr400

xr400 New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Thank you. That clears it up. I need to run 1 coax and get anything except a R15. Other than risk it may not work is there any other reason not to get a DVR on Ebay?

4. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    There are two areas of risk using ebay. One is the same risk as any ebay purchase. The other risk is if the dvr you buy came from an account that had an unpaid balance, D* will not activate it, period. More than one person has found this out the hard way.

Also, just so you are aware, D* will most likely require you to buy a new access card, which will cost $20. Factor that cost into anything you are willing to bid for.

Carl

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    There may still be vendors who have TiVo based D* DVR's for sale, brand new. The price will most likely be similar to what you would pay on eBay and you'd be getting it with an access card as well as warranty etc.

6. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Part of the confusion is because somewhere along the line the common usage of the term LNB changed.

It stated off referring to the number of LNBs that looked at a single satellite, and morphed into talking about the number of satellites a dish could see.

For example, a Dual LNB dish only has one 'flashlights', but two low noise block (LNB) downconverters for that single satellite.

But the Triple LNB dish (like yours) had three 'flashlights', but 5 low noise block (LNB) downconverters; two for the 101 (sat A) sat, one for the 110 sat (sat C), and two for the 119 sat (sat C).

But the two meaning are still used fairly interchangeably, even though they don't mean the same thing.

7. xr400

xr400 New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Ohio
    :up: Thanks all. I ordered the DRV4ME deal from D* today to replace my plain reciever.

8. miketette

miketette New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    OK different Variation of same question. I have just installed my second DVR unit, replacing my direct receiver. I cannot run a second line to the DVR-so currently cannot use the second tuner.
    Is there any way to set up a multiswitcher at the receiver to defeat this problem or have I completely misunderstood this?
    The second DVR acquired from Direct Tv as part of refurb special is a Hughes DVR2-located in upstairs bedroom- no way to fish line to second floor without running line outside, which is not practical.
    Thanks

9. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    A multiswitch won't help in this situation, because for even the simplest setup (single satellite dish, dual LNB) the multiswitch needs to see two separate inputs from the dish. It can multiply 2 inputs into 4 or 8 outputs, but can't do anything with 1 input.

If you have a multi-satellite dish or more that one dish the cabling requirements for the multiswitch only increase. A triple sat dish needs four cables from the dish to the multiswitch, a triple sat dish with a separate dish for the new local channel sats, take five cables to the multiswitch.

Now if you have a single satellite dish you can use a stacker / destacker setup to get both signals onto a single coax, but that will run you $250 - $300 bucks.