Live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by katman, May 7, 2011.

1. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Hi All,

I have a question about Live TV. I picked up a "spare" Tivo from eBay a few years ago but havent really used it as it was unsubbed.

I did watch some of the recordings that were already on it, and also some live TV. I noticed some artifacts on the screen and wondered if that is a sign of a faulty video encoder or does live TV also get written to the disc before being read back and displayed.

Does this sound like a problem with the hard disc or is it a sign of something more serious.

Thanks

Keith

2. healeydave

healeydave from tivoland.com

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    The artifacts could be both, a failing hdd (good) or a hardware fault (bad), pressing the AUX button on the remote (to bypass the encoder) can help determine which.

3. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Artefacts are usually caused by glitches in the satellite stream rather than the TiVo - as Dave said, use the AUX button to check whether the problem is in fact with your Sky/FV box.

(Of course if you're using analogue then ignore what I've just said!).

4. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Thanks Guys, was with Analogue. I still have the origianl disc from my main Tivo so will put that in to see if it still has the artifacts before investing in a new drive.

5. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    If the disc still works then I would be inclined to (i) backup the Tivo image, (ii) run manufacturer's diagnostics on the disc (marks out bad sectors etc), (ii) restore the image back. Personally I would do that before investing in a new drive.

Of course if that all sounds like technobabble (or hard work!) then... as you were! ;)

6. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    My original Tivo disc is still OK from when I upgraded my main Tivo. The "spare" tivo is still on its original disc so I will just put my disc into that for now to test it

7. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Yes, it does if it's coming from the SCART input. AUX routes the video directly from the AUX SCART input to the TV SCART output - not sure what happens with the Analogue tuner though?
    I'd guess that the default Live TV stream is still done via the disk to allow pause etc.
    I'd also guess that pressing the AUX button on an analogue set up Tivo would simply show the blank video input.