Live TV is skipping

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by imreolajos, Aug 25, 2007.

1. imreolajos

imreolajos Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Eden...
    Using TiVo Series2, Software 8.3-01-2-140

Last night I started to observe digital noise (MPEG blockiness) appear on all channels. First I thought it was my cable box (it happened before due to a weak cable signal), but I have a separate output from my cable box direct to my TV and the picture on that was perfect.

Today I get picture that is okay for a second or so, then it gets a lot of digital noise, then it pauses for a second or two, and this cycle repeats. This happens on Live TV and to all recordings that are being made now. A 60 min show had only 30 min of recording, and it was all skippy throughout. Existing recordings play fine. Cable output is also fine. It's definitely the TiVo doing this.

I rebooted both the cable box and the TiVo - problem remains.

After getting panicky and finding out from online forums that this symptom might indicate a HDD failure, I found postID 10335917 on the TiVo forums
    (sorry, this is my first post, they don't allow me to hotlink, yet).

What are the chances of both of our HDDs going wrong right after getting the SAME software updated? So, I'm thinking this might actually be a bug in TiVo's latest software version.

Can anybody confirm this? Is anybody else having this problem on the same Series2 box with the same SW version? Or is it really my HDD crapping out? (Which would be very sad.)

PS: I intend to try the mfscheck tomorrow morning (since I am pulling down all my recordings off the box right now), then call TiVo tech support.

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    How "recently" did you get v8.3? TiVo was done rolling it out to existing subscribers a few months ago?

3. imreolajos

imreolajos Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Eden...
    I do not know. I haven't checked the version number for at least a month. The last successful service connection was made on Aug 24 7:57 AM - that's the same day when the skipping started happening. Whether that proves anything or not, I don't know...

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    That's what I thought. You have no idea how long you've had the update but you know that you've had it for at least a month. Your problem started yesterday. Sorry, but updates are not time bombs. The fact that someone else has a similar hard drive problem isn't even remotely close to a coincidence. Hard drives fail all the time.

You need a new hard drive.

5. imreolajos

imreolajos Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Eden...
    Well, you are absolutely right, after calling TiVo tech support they also told me almost immediately that the symptoms exhibited by my TiVo box are HDD related. Since I have a lifetime subscription, the tech support person strongly recommended an exchange.

Before I called tech support, I also did an mfs check - problem remained.

So, this sucks, because it cost me $150 (I had the box for 4+ years and it's way out of warranty), but it's next to impossible to watch TV without TiVo...

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Strike the "next to". :)

You also have the option of reeplacing the hard drive (check the upgrade forum).

Good luck.

7. cambist

cambist New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My upstairs series 2 Toshiba with a dvdr started doing this day before yesterday also. Odd. My series 3 has no issues. I guess I need a new hard drive also? Strange.