Live TV and record won't work!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by swarrans, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 26
    swarrans

swarrans New Member

Jan 7, 2003

Advertisements

I just went to play back a recording Tivo made today and instead of the recording there was just a blue screen (the programme data was showing though - BBC 1 etc).
    Recordings I've made before today are fine.
    Went to Live TV and got the blue screen saying "try changing channels etc" Did all the suggestions including a re-set and checking connections but still have the problem.
    The Sky box and connections are OK cos the picture appears if I press "direct".

Any ideas please?

Simon

(this makes me realise how much I depend on Tivo - I'm in a panic!)

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 26
    Savana

Savana New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    We've had the same problem since Christmas Eve - blue screen and no record capability. I spoke to Tivo Support here, who arranged for a software update, but they admitted that it sounded more like the tuner was broken.

As Thomson no longer services Tivo boxes, they suggested I look up a couple of companies that do service them. Apparently they advertise on this site but I've yet to find them - anyone have any ideas where to look?

I can't believe how dependent I've become on my Tivo and would appreciate help ASAP.

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 26
    blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Tuners are available - try eBay - but fitting requires soldering skills so if the tuner is broken and you can get Freeview or Freesat then that's probably your easiest solution. And you'll have more channels and better picture quality too :)

4. Jan 7, 2006 #4 of 26
    swarrans

swarrans New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    I never use the RF connection and the input is via Sky (see my original post) so presumeably my problem can't be the tuner?

Simon

5. Jan 7, 2006 #5 of 26
    6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK

Advertisements

you say bbc1?? could the tivo be trying to record bbc1 from the RF input and not scart. check in channels you receive?? I could be wrong and often am.

p.s. I assume you have rebooted the tivo?

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 26
    Glesgie

Glesgie New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    London
    When you say you pressed direct, do you mean AUX on the TiVo remote ?

7. Jan 7, 2006 #7 of 26
    teresatt

teresatt TiVo TiVo TiVo!

Dec 21, 2001
    Walsall,...
    I've just had the exact same problem this morning. We were watching TiVo while it was doing a long download over the modem. Now we have a blue screen the same as Swarrans and I can't get any Live TV. AUX bypass gives us a picture from the cable box. TiVo changes channel on our cable box, but it won't show a picture. A restart has made no difference.

I've also lost all my icons in Now Playing. This was a large update from TiVo, could it have cause a problem?

Help!! I can't bear to be without my TiVo. How can I possibly watch TV without it? I must try not to panic.

8. Jan 7, 2006 #8 of 26
    6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    three people, now i am worried?? has your sw version changed?? with you saying large download?? lthough it would pend a 2am restart

9. Jan 7, 2006 #9 of 26
    teresatt

teresatt TiVo TiVo TiVo!

Dec 21, 2001
    Walsall,...
    I've just spoken to TiVo customer services and they haven't had any other similar problems.

I'm really, really upset now. I just can't go back to my old VCR, especially as it gives a very poor picture on my plasma and I can't possibly watch anything live without interruptions as I have a son with severe learning difficulties.

I'll have to track down somewhere for a repair, but in the meantime how do I survive?

10. teresatt

teresatt TiVo TiVo TiVo!

Dec 21, 2001
    Walsall,...
    These people do repairs:

http://www.pacelink.co.uk/tivo.htm

I've just ried to ring them but got no reply. I'll try on Monday. I bought my current hard drives from them set up with all the software on them.

Oh my God! Life without TiVo!

11. ndunlavey

ndunlavey Just a user, really

Jun 4, 2002
    Greenwich
  12. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Don't panic. I suspect, given the fact that a number of people are seeing this, that it's not a hardware issue with your machine.

Have you tried switching off both the STB and your TiVo and then switching them back on again, STB first? Sometimes the TiVo loses track of a connected STB and this can fix it.

Another recent case is reported here too.

13. teresatt

teresatt TiVo TiVo TiVo!

Dec 21, 2001
    Walsall,...
    Yippee! I've got my TiVo back. If I was younger and fitter, I'd be doing cartwheels.

I tried another restart and again it didn't work, so I pulled the plug and powered it down for a minute. Then when it came back we had a picture again.

I am so very, very relieved. How can we become so dependent on one device? I don't spend all my time watching TV but the thought of no TiVo is unthinkable.

TiVo has lost the cable box picture before, but a restart normally fixed that. Now that TiVo has restarted I'll have a heck of a job getting my serial PPP link to connect again to my laptop. It usually involves me uninstalling and installing the devices until it connects. Then I can put all my channel logos back on and get endpad running again. Phew!

14. teresatt

teresatt TiVo TiVo TiVo!

Dec 21, 2001
    Walsall,...
    Admittedly twin tuners would be nice but aren't essential. We get by with one tuner and only very occasionally miss a programme due to clashes that can't be resolved with repeats. However, currently there is no other PVR with as many useful features as TiVo. I don't have Sky so Sky+ is out and I don't want a PC running Media Centre. Even the very latest PVRs are lacking some very basic features such as bookmarks and chase play. I'm always on the look out for something to upgrade to, but there isn't anything. Telewest are about to release a triple tuner PVR with HD capability, but I bet I'd be dissapointed with the software.

15. ndunlavey

ndunlavey Just a user, really

Jun 4, 2002
    Greenwich
    I suggested it not as an upgrade, but because you were looking for a stop-gap to let you pause live TV while your TiVo was being repaired. I'm pleased that your TiVo is in better health than you thought.

16. teresatt

teresatt TiVo TiVo TiVo!

Dec 21, 2001
    Walsall,...
    I had considered a FreeView PVR but I was hoping I could get my TiVo fixed fairly quickly so that it wouldn't be worth getting one. I have been looking at FreeView PVRs because if Telewest's new all singing, all dancing PVR isn't as good as TiVo, I'll stick with TiVo and the standard cable box and replace my VCR with a FreeView PVR to effectively give me a partial second tuner. The PVR I have my eye on is the Topfield. I like it because you can tinker with it like TiVo.

17. swarrans

swarrans New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Mine's back too!
    Crumbs, this feels like winning the lottery!
    Basically, I just did what Blind Lemon suggested and unplugged both sat and Tivo, left them for a while and then plugged back in and hey presto...

Not only has this convinced me of Tivo's indispensibility but now I'm going to take the plunge on Mode zero (again) as the only thing I'm less than happy about on Tivo is the quality deterioration. I tried Mode zero a year ago but never with iicset and I couldn't live with the lurid colours on my plasma.

Thanks so much for the help.

Simon

18. teresatt

teresatt TiVo TiVo TiVo!

Dec 21, 2001
    Walsall,...
    Simon, I'm glad you've got your TiVo back as well.

Would you believe it? Telewest cable is now down in the Midlands. We've had to watch Sea of Souls on BBC1 'live'. At least my son was in bed so no interruptions, but I was bursting to go to the loo by the end. This 'live TV' is no good.

19. Kissxofxdeath

Kissxofxdeath New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    London
    Sadly mine is still broken. I have tried turning off the TiVo AND the cable box but that didnt work. And I tried resetting the TiVo just for Aerial rather than Aerial and Cable but that didnt work either. So I am running out of options. I am concerned that the is probably not the hard drive given I am still able to watch my Now Playing stuff which suggests that it is not the hard drive thats broken. Could it be the lead between the cable and the Tivo? Its a bit old and since its an analogue cable box, its just a wire. On the other hand, Ive been working on the end bit and theres plenty of metal connection exposed so unless its severed itself internally it seems a bit unlikely its the wire.

Thoughts welcome.

KoD

20. swarrans

swarrans New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Hope you sort yours KoD. I know nothing about cable boxes, but it certainly might be worth you trying the cable between your box and Tivo (and would be kinda consistent with the problem Terresat and I had with Tivo not seeing our boxes).
    I guess if you've tried aerial only and it didn't work that is rather worrying though.

Very best of luck...

Simon