Live show won't stay paused after watching recorded show

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by boilerup, Jan 12, 2019.

1. boilerup

boilerup New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    I've had a TiVo Bolt for a couple years (and others before it) and haven't had this problem before, so it seems like it must be after a recent software update. If I am watching a live show (whether I'm recording it or not) and I push the TiVo button and go to My Shows and watch something else for a bit, if I reach the end of the show and delete it, when I return using either the Live TV or Back button, the live show is no longer paused and is caught up to the current live point. But this only happens if I delete the recording when I reached the end of it. If I return to the live show without deleting the recording I was watching (either because I deleted it or I just leave it in My Shows without deleting it after reaching the end), then the pause point is preserved when I return.

This isn't because the 30-minute buffer has run out. It happens if I return after just a minute or two with 28 minutes left on the buffer, and it happens if I'm recording the show so the buffer doesn't matter. Anyone else seeing this? This is especially frustrating since I do this when watching sports and am allowing some buffer to build up so I can skip commercials and time between plays, and then I see the latest score when it should have been paused at a much earlier point.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    The Live TV Buffer hasn't been acting as consistently as it used to.

If your description of the sequence of events is accurate, I wouldn't be surprised.

I've learned to just Rew>Advance back to the beginning of the Buffer.

-KP

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Instead of pausing Live TV, press Record instead. Live TV buffer is limited to 30 minutes, but its cleared when it has to go change channel to record. No guarantees that you would retain the paused point.

4. boilerup

boilerup New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Then I also lose my pause point, and I have to fast forward back to where I was, which is a pain if you're halfway through a 3-hour game.

As I mentioned, it happens when I'm recording the show as well. This is definitely new behavior. It's not because it's changing channels to record a show. And in that case, it always chooses one of the other tuners rather than the one that was currently being viewed, so that has never been a problem, and it's not the problem now.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you had started watching from the Shows list and not LiveTV, then the pause point is kept.

6. boilerup

boilerup New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Thank you. That's a good suggestion. However, it's much more convenient to toggle between the previously recorded show and the one I'm watching live (even if I'm also recording it) by using the Live TV and Back buttons as opposed to having to navigate between the two shows in the listing of my recorded shows. It's unfortunate that whatever changed now causes me several more steps to jump back and forth between the two shows.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you use the back button or left arrow, and return to the show list.
    You can switch between shows that way. It would be easier to highlight the show and press Play instead of select into the show descriptions, so press left arrow and it returns to the list, then go to the other show and Play. .

8. boilerup

boilerup New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Yes, that's what I do. But I still have to go up and down the list from one show to the other, and also into a folder of shows if it has more than one episode recorded. Using the method I prefer (which no longer fully works because of this issue), I only had to use the Live TV and Back buttons to go back and forth between shows. One or two button presses the way I prefer, a whole bunch of button presses and finding the shows in the list using this other approach.

9. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    The behavior you're describing is different than what I was describing.

Typically, for recordings like Football Games, the pause is maintained. I can toggle back and forth between 2 games with it paused. At the risk of forgetting and losing my place in the game. I try to look and see where I am so I can recover it fairly straight forward if I make an error.

What's erratic for me is the Live TV Buffer. Often, even though I paused the Live Channel before beginning playback of a Recording, the Buffer will be at 'live'. I'd say 90% of the time it's at the -30 Minute point. The other 10% not...

I'm using a Premiere 2-tuner on TE3.

-KP

10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I’ll assume the OP is on TE4 because of the mention of the “back” button, but here’s what happens to me on TE3(Bolt and Roamio)

Watching live TV
    Hit “pause”
    Go to “My Shows” and watch a recording
    The recording reaches the end and “Delete this recording?” pops up
    I select either option
    Hit “Live TV”
    Pause point is lost

The workaround is to not let the recording reach the end on its own.

Hit “Live TV” while there’s still time on the recording
    You’ll still get the “Delete this recording?” pop up
    Select either
    Pause point is saved

If the recording does reach the end on its own, skip back a few times and hit “Live TV.”
    Skip back still works after “Delete this recording?” pops up.

11. boilerup

boilerup New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Yes, I'm on TE4. I'm losing the pause point even if I hit "Live TV" a few minutes before the end as opposed to letting it reach the actual end. When it shows "Delete this recording?", if I select the delete option, then the pause point on the live show is lost. But if I select the option to keep the recording, then the pause point is saved.

One workaround is to just keep the recordings and delete them later, which isn't too terrible, but something I didn't have to deal with before. Best case would be that TiVo recognizes that this has changed and fixes it with a future update. Perhaps I should notify TiVo of this "bug".

cherry ghost likes this.
  12. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Not that it’s much different, but what happens if you hit “pause” then “Live TV?” You’d still have to delete later, but would possibly avoid the pop up.

boilerup likes this.
  13. boilerup

boilerup New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, you're right that avoids the pop up, and it keeps the paused point of the live show. That's certainly an improvement on the workaround by saving a couple button presses.

cherry ghost likes this.