Little Fires Everywhere [Hulu] Miniseries

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Apr 16, 2020.

1. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Anyone else watching this show, I think it's really good, and a little maddening how a lot of these people are so wrong. Just finished the newest epside (7) and recommend it, the first episode seemed a bit slow but as the it progressed it gets a lot better.

Takes place in the late 90's, lots of white upper class passive racism, bad parenting, damaged kids....

2. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    fantastic series, best Hulu one ever

Beryl likes this.
  3. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    We have been enjoying it. Without getting in to it I have to say I have no sympathy at all for the Mia Character. None! Zero!! Not that I think Elena is much better but at least she says thinks what she thinks.

While I think its very good I have to say Handmade's Tale is better.

4. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I've really liked it so far. Haven't seen the most recent ep yet. The episode that I particularly liked was the one where the lead characters were 15 or 20 years younger than the main story being told. It was absolutely uncanny how the actress that played the Kerry Washington role imitated her mannerisms and speech patterns. And the one that played the Reese Witherspoon role was also adept at imitating Reese, but to a lesser degree IMO. Very good series.

5. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    EXCELLENT series! I liken it more to the other Reese Witherspoon series Big Little Lies, but I give the edge to this series. I thought I had started a thread on it a while ago, but maybe it was just a comment in the "what are you watching" threads.

I agree with @Howie regarding the excellent casting and performance in the younger versions of Elena and Mia. Have to give credit for this trend of not trying to have the lead actors try to play younger versions of themselves to the show This is Us. I thought This is Us was just particularly good at this technique, but Little Fires Everywhere also knocked it out of the park.

6. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I feel both anger and sympathy for both characters, one of the strong points of the show imho. I can definitely find points to sympathize with Mia. Edited to put following in spoiler tags
    She had parents that were distant and didn't try to see things from her point of view. Agreed to carry someone else's child because she was in a financial crisis but didn't have any experience to understand any of the emotional consequences. Loses the two people she loves in the world within a year - really, the only two people who know her at all. And then forbidden to attend her sole brother's funeral. Giving birth and raising a child with zero financial resources and clearly does so with a tremendous amount of love.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  7. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Except
    it's not her kid biologically. She basically stole it and then goes around acting high and mighty towards everybody else. I also find her hypocritical in that she is standing up for rights of the biological parents in the trial
    adding spoiler tags tags since the title does not say spoilers allowed.

Also as usual all of the problems in the show would have been avoided if people would just tell their secrets right away.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  8. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    If I understood the scene correctly, Mr Ryan is the biological father, he produced sperm that Mia injected herself with. Mr Ryan would still have parental rights, and her running away "might be" kidnapping. I am not a lawyer. However I thinks it's f%©ked up what she did.

Beryl likes this.
  9. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Her parents said it was not hers. She ran to demonstrate guilt. She did not tell her daughter. She was paid which was an acceptance of contract. She hid her name. I fully expect the father to show up in the finale. The maguffin is who lit the house on fire. It could obviously be Mia or Izzy or even Mia's husband.

As I said before even though I don't like Elena her actions are merely to hyperactively press everybody else into roles she dreamed of. Nothing she did was criminal at least so far.

10. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Remember, Mr Ryan approached Mia because of how she looked very similar to his wife. Biologically, if Mia just put the guys sperm into herself with a syringe, like I saw, Mia is biologically the mother.

It's not hers as in she promised, and was paid, to get pregnant with the husbands sperm, then hand the baby over after birth. As to how that holds up legally I couldn't tell you. Mia's parents seemed very honest type people so if Mia made a promise/arrangement with the Ryan family to carry a baby them, then that promise means it's not her baby in their eyes.

What rights does Mr. Ryan have as the biological father. Once again not a lawyer but I think he could make a kidnapping charge, maybe....

11. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Per this article the surrogate only has the right to terminate but not to keep the baby. Surrogate Rights - ConceiveAbilities Blog

12. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I did a little Google'ing.. Laws about that, in that state where it occoured, didn't exist until just this year. There was no legal protections for that type of exchange. Meaning the married couple have no rights. Maybe the father, but I don't know.

13. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    We've been watching and enjoying this series. We find Reese Witherspoon's character to be a bit overdone, but the other characters are all very good.

Looking forward to the finale episode to see who lit the fire. :)

14. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Pretty satisfying finale.

My wife and I were taking bets WHO lit the fire. We landed on the same person, but we were way off. :)

15. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The show is based off a book, they changed the peeople responsible for the fire.

16. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I liked the series but thought it dragged a bit midway through. This is one that I think could have been a couple of episodes less with faster pacing.

Us too in terms of guessing who set the fire - although as it progressed through the finale it seems nearly anyone would have been a good guess.

17. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I loved this series. Both Kerry and Reese played their complicated characters so well.
    I’m lazy. Will you please spoilerize the culprit(s)?
    I was wrong too. It was better than I guessed.

18. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    There was an interview with the showrunner and they sort of went around the room with the writers "Who Shot JR style" thinking of justifications for each person.
    They
    seriously considered that it would be Elena (Reese Witherspoon) but liked the idea of the kids deciding together to do it and Elena taking the blame by thinking it was really all her fault.

One thing I wondered did Izzy really go with the Warrens/Wrights or was that her dream to go with them. They really did not reference or show/acknowledge her in the car when they showed up at the parents house.

19. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Great little series! Personally, I enjoyed this more than Big Little Lies.

To answer your Izzy question:

Izzy dreamed Mia (and Pearl) passing by and stopping when seeing Izzy hitchhiking. After the scene where she imagined getting in the backseat of that well-used car, they faded back to a short scene with Izzy - in different clothing - traveling in what looked like some sort of public transportation such as a Greyhound.

zalusky likes this.
  20. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    My wife read the book and we just finished the series on Hulu. I liked it. It was interesting to hear how much they changed from the book. I haven't watched the behind the scenes stuff, but I'll be curious why they changed some of the significant things. Overall, even though I found nearly every character unsympathetic, I enjoyed it.

tivotvaddict likes this.