Little Dorrit

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I've been on a BBC mini-series kick lately. This is another good one, especially if you're a fan of Dickens. Great period atmosphere, sets, costumes. As usual, the acting is top-notch all around, especially Tom Courtenay as Mr. Dorrit, in a great performance. Claire Foy, in a mostly reactive role, plays Amy Dorrit with taciturn charm, while Matthew MacFadyen, who apparently specializes in these period pieces, brings complexity and depth to a character that could have come across as a one-note simp in lesser-talented hands.

The adaptation is by Andrew Davies, who also did the brilliant "House of Cards". The story, imho, isn't one of Dickens' best (one can see this as a prelude to his masterpiece Great Expectations), but, if you're a fan, it's a rare treat to get an 8-hour adaptation of a classic like this. The ending comes across as a bit deus-ex-machina, but Dickens liked his happy endings and it's certainly set up well enough (perhaps too well).

I plan to watch Dickens' Bleak House next, an 8 hour adaptation, then Austen's Pride and Prejudice, a much-acclaimed 5-hour version.

I'm really surprised there aren't any of these longer adaptations of David Copperfield and Great Expectations, I'd love to see that.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I presume you mean the 2008 one. There's one from the 80s on netflix streaming, but the 2008 one is just on DVD.

3. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    There was a multi-part adaptation of Little Dorrit on Masterpiece Classic last year, and while I don't watch these things (Cranford?!?) my wife did, and she absolutely HATED it! I asked her if she wanted me to save it on DVD for her, and she not only said NO! but she asked if I could delete it from her brain, as well as Tivo. :( She has little tolerance for some things I guess.