List price for Series3 with lifetime subscription?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jgwyatt, Aug 30, 2007.

1. jgwyatt

jgwyatt New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Birmingham,...
    If things work out for me, I am moving to an area where no cable service is provided. I will have to go Direct or Dish. Probably Dish for HD channels. (That would be a whole different thread!) Anyways, I will still have a Series 2 with lifetime to record SD channels and I hate to lose Tivo. So as to price, has anyone been watching the prices or sold one lately? Just curious what my list price should be for my Tivo Series 3 with lifetime subscription on eBay?

Thanks for any help,
    John

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I'll give you a dollar for it! ;)

Seriously, I don't know. The best thing to do is search completed auctions and see if any have sold recently.

3. jgwyatt

jgwyatt New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Birmingham,...
    A dollar?!? :)
    Thanks! I didn't know that feature existed on ebay but have found it now. Looks like a week ago two sold for $1200 with lifetime. Not too shaby I must say.

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That would be a new in the box S3 TiVo, not too many used Series 3 with Lifetime have been on E-Bay after the TiVo-HD came out for $299.

5. chrishicks

chrishicks Tivo Junkie

Dec 30, 2003
    MI
    I've actually decided to start looking for another S3 with lifetime. I'm hoping I'll find one soon.

6. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    For a new one I'd say about $1200. For a lightly-used one I'd say $1000. If yours is 9+ months old then I'd count on taking a couple hundred more off.

Of course, you could always upgrade the drive before you sold it as upgraded units tend to increase in value by more than the cost of the drive. That will take out some of the hit from having an older unit as the part most likely to fail would have been the original hard drive.

7. GeorgeHReme

GeorgeHReme Level 2 Tivo Fairy

Feb 25, 2007
    JGWyatt,

$1,200 was definitely the norm for an S3 before the release of the TiVoHD. However, now it's much more of a crapshoot. You may have to list it repeatedly, since several didn't even sell recently for what the owners were demanding.

You might want to try some alternative online areas as well. Fragmented markets (such as Craigslist or iOffer) will mean less informed potential buyers (sounds gross, I know--you could also alternatively be charitable and give it up for a decent price)! I would unload it soon, though, since there are precious few people left extolling the virtues of a shiny box (liable to get fingerprints) and OLED screen (smaller than you think) over the newer hardware the TivoHD affords. Then again, you can always appeal to the blind sense many have that more money means better quality. Just don't let them return it once they figure out the truth (i.e. the original Series 3 stops being produced).

Good luck.

George

8. jgwyatt

jgwyatt New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Birmingham,...
    Thanks all for the input. I agree that the values are dropping. I feel like lifetime subscription adds good value. In that same breathe, another question... are you still able to get lifetime through tivo? For instance, you have a series 2 with lifetime, can you still pay a few hundred dollars and get an upgrade to lifetime with the TivoHD box? I have seen the lifetime giftcards being sold but haven't heard of any other way that you can buy that service.

John

9. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    You can't buy it through Tivo any longer. Tivo will honor any existing lifetime gift certificates or gift cards on the Tivo HD though - I know, since I used one on one of mine.

Tivo did run a "transfer lifetime" promotion when the original Series 3 boxes came out and recently ran a promotion to transfer a lifetime to a new Series 2 DT, but, unless Tivo runs another promotion, don't plan on being able to transfer lifetime that way.