List of Tivo Models

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SkyCar, May 31, 2017.

1. SkyCar

SkyCar New Member

May 31, 2017

Advertisements

Is there a list of Tivo models, past and present and how to identify them? I have been confused about names: are some Premieres also a "Series 2"? What's the difference? When someone says that a given feature, hack, etc., only works on certain models, sometimes that's not clear.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    troy1414 likes this.
  3. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    All Premiere models are Series 4. (Series 1-2 are the old SD models, Series 3 was the first line of HD models (but with the old SD user interface), Series 4 is Premiere, Series 5 is Roamio, and Series 6 is Bolt.)

4. SkyCar

SkyCar New Member

May 31, 2017
    Of course, I looked at the Wikipedia page right after I posted. Gee, no wonder I'm confused. There are five models of "Premiere". I guess there's no way to simplify this.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Series 1 units were made by Phillips and Sony, they all had the same internal hardware but the Sony unit had a different remote.

Series 2 units were around for a long time and went through several iterations. The first and second generation units were essentially the same with the only difference was that the second gen units had USB ports which made networking faster. (you had to use USB NICs back then) The 3rd generation was an attempt at cost reduction and the hardware was actually worse then the 2nd generation units. The 4th generation was the DT, which contained two analog tuners and was the only TiVo with asynchronous recording. (i.e. it could record two analog stations, but only one station that required a box) There were also a few DVD units in the mix. A Toshiba DVD player unit which used the 2nd generation hardware. A Pioneer DVD+R unit that also used the second generation hardware. And DVD+R units by both Toshiba and Humax that used the 3rd generation hardware.

Series 3 units encompass two boxes. The original Series 3, with the OLED display on the front, and the TiVo HD.

Series 4 units encompass all Premiere boxes including the 2 tuner and 4 tuner units. This is also the same basic generation of hardware used for the Minis.

Series 5 units are the Roamio boxes.

Series 6 units are Bolts.

ClearToLand likes this.
  6. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    The HR10-250 was frequently referred to by users as a series 2.5. I still run one because there are still a few elderly users I informally support. I did notice a few months ago that it had jumped time zones, otherwise it's been running fine. The only reason we had to migrate users from the HR10-250 to Tivo HDs for OTA use was they had tended to move out of the old housing where there were old DTV dishes for the OTA guide data.

7. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I believe the Minis are based on the Roamio/Series 5 SoCs. They are a heck of a lot faster than the Premieres. I got the Minis fairly soon after they came out, and the difference between my Premiere XL4 and the Mini was night and day. The Premiere platform was released in 2010, the Mini in 2012, and the Roamio in 2013, so the Mini and Roamio are much closer together time wise.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No, they're based on the companion chip to the Premiere. It's actually slightly lower clocked then the Premiere actually. The reason they're faster is because they don't have any of the IO or scheduling logic running all the time like the Premiere does.

tim1724 likes this.