List of stations and what channels they will use in 2009

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by newsposter, Jan 17, 2006.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Not everyone may know about the switch and what exactly happens. I've been fighting to get some upper UHFs and even though it's moot 3 years from now, that's still a lot of hi def. So back to the antenna aiming :)

Here's a list of TV stations, their current digital and analog channels and the channel they have chosen to use for their digital broadcast when analog is turned off.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-2649A2.pdf

FYI UHF 52 and above will be gone.

2. cheridave

cheridave "PT Cruisers-R-Cool"

Mar 1, 2004
    Orange...
    The link says we are not "Authorized".

Got any thing better?

Dave

3. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    corrected link

4. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    WWMT is going to stay on VHF 2! Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

5. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    ......he means vhf of course ;)

6. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Thanks for the save! :D

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    These are still tentative, by the way. Anybody know when the stations have to finalize their decisions?

8. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    So far, all mine are staying at there current frequencies. Should make the switch pretty painless for me.

9. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Wow...lot's of changes in the Twin Cities:
    KTCA (PBS): 2 -> 34
    KTCI (PBS): 17 -> 26
    WCCO (CBS): 4 - > 32
    KSTP (ABC): 5 -> 35
    KMWB (WB): 23 -> 22
    KPXM (PAX): 41 -> 40

How will this change things on cable/satellite? I'm guessing the stations will be creating new logos/imaging for themselves, too?? Wow...big changes...

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    no changes to channels for surfing I'm sure. They can remap everything at the back end just like they do now. (ie making uhf channel 64 appear as 6.1 on my tv)

I find it hard to believe that every station would change channel number designations as far as the actual logos etc. That would be a huge and expensive undertaking. Imagine everything from coffee mugs to station trucks that would have to be redone.

But it's a vaild question and i'm not positive of the answer, just of the economics of it all.

11. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I'm curios about the propogation differences too. For some of the Atlanta current V's going to U, I would imagine that would reduce their coverage, no?

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Who decided what stations would stay VHF or go to UHF or was it the stations choice?

13. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    New York City metro area

WCBS (2) not listed
    WNBC (4) 28
    WNYW (5) 44
    WABC (7) not listed
    WWOR (9) 38
    WPIX (11) 33 => 11 (boneheaded/stupid move to go back to VHF 11)
    WNET (13) 61 => 13 (another stupid move back to VHF 13)
    WNYE (25) 24
    WPXN (30) 31
    WFUT (68) 53 => 41

Hopefully it'll take as long for WPIX to switch as it took to get back on the air after 9/11. If they end up broadcasting from the new tower it might be OK, I suppose. And the odds of the new tower being ready by 2009? Zip -- politicos will see to that.

14. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Generally it's the station's choice, though there were a few rounds for priority...

Basically it went something like: Those stations in a UHF frequency now that was going to be removed from use got first choice; then remaining stations could choose their current digital location or their original NTSC licensed frequency.

15. DTivoFan

DTivoFan New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    The Great...
    Perhaps they will follow the trend of Canadian TV stations, and remove the channel number from their branding altogether, concentrating more on such factors as the network affiliation, callsign, city, or other brand name.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Do you say bonehead because you'll need a new antenna? :)

17. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    No, I say that because of enduring WPIX's initial broadcast on that channel which was piss-poor and unreliable. They used it while broadcasting from their own antenna while waiting for the shared antenna on the Empire State Building to be completed. So maybe things will be better with it on a real tower, but I'm not that hopeful.

WNET uses a directional antenna that completely ignores this area so it really won't matter.