List of reviews and impressions

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by stuart628, May 7, 2020.

1. May 7, 2020 #1 of 61
    stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Thought it would be a good idea to keep a thread just for reviews and impressions you find to keep other threads clean..no need to participate if you dont like the idea, just thought it would be a good idea to have one place for people to come to to read on what others are saying!

aaronwt likes this.
  2. May 8, 2020 #2 of 61
    monkeydust

monkeydust Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Since nobody else is using this thread....

Between using my mini and an old Samsung TV for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and Plex, I can see me using my Stream 4K for all of my streaming now. I usually use my mini out of convenience until it locks up and I have to switch to my TV to stream. I’ve had my Stream 4K for a few hours now and find it easy to use and snappier than my other devices. I like the voice assistant and it does a decent job of doing what I want it to do (I’m sure most of my issues are due to me not knowing exactly how to use it). I like how I can just tell it to play Castlevania on Netflix and it loads the app and starts playing it. I wish it could do the same for my Plex movies. I really don’t know if I will use the Live TV functionality as I don’t see me paying money for that to have a subset of the channels I have with my main TiVo on cable. But for my needs, it is a great purchase for fifty bucks.

EDIT: I can't figure out how to control TV volume with remote though (volume of AV receiver actually). I don't see any docs online or any settings in the UI similar to what other Tivo devices have for pairing by AV type.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    samsauce29, Puppy76 and aaronwt like this.
  3. May 9, 2020 #3 of 61
    cyterio

cyterio New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    My remote just worked with my TV right out of the box. I’m guessing it’s because I have HDMI-CEC enabled. It’s odd though, I don’t remember seeing an option on the TiVo Stream to utilize CEC. Normally you have an On/Off toggle down I’m really not sure if it’s using it or not. I’ll have to turn it off on the TV and see if it still works.

It seems like it should be capable though since it has an IR blaster on the front of the remote. I have seen instructions anywhere on how to program though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. May 9, 2020 #4 of 61
    monkeydust

monkeydust Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Ok, so I grabbed my newer receiver from the basement and switched it out with the old one I was using with the Stream and everything else. Everything plugs into this receiver instead of the TV (just one HDMI cable going out from the receiver to the TV). Now, power and volume controls work fine.... but the input button still controls the TV input but I need it to control the receiver input. So, this is a bit worse than before because now I have to use the mini remote, the stream remote, and the receiver's remote. :(

5. May 9, 2020 #5 of 61
    NiteCourt

NiteCourt Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Erie, PA...
    So I was using Disney Plus. Two times, maybe 11 minutes, apart the screen went black for a second. It seemed the show kept playing. Didn't see this happen when I was using it earlier with Sling. I also paused the show for about 5 minutes. When I un-paused, there was no audio. I went back to watching on my FireTV.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

6. May 9, 2020 #6 of 61
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I got mine setup a short time ago. At least the setup process wasn't too bad. And the Firmware install only took 3.5 minutes from when it started downloading to the time the menu came up after rebooting.

But mine seems to always want to send out HDR. Either HDR10 or DOlby Vision. I see no way to send out SDR. Or am I missing something?
    That was was the reason I didn't use my ATV 4K initially until they patched it to allow it to properly switch between SDR, HDR10, and DOlby Vision.

Or am I missing a setting? Because a normal device will automatically switch between SDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision as needed.
    I have no desire to watch HDR10 content in fake Dolby Vision or SDR content in fake Dolby Vision.

Otherwise it does seem quick. I was able to get Atmos audio from the Amazon app. I haven't tried Vudu yet though. And of course I have no Atmos from Netflix either.

7. May 9, 2020 #7 of 61
    stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    One word potential...this has the potential to be a great box for me...I am going to do a more in depth review hopefully Monday as I took a crap ton of pics but I do enjoy this box...if you made me choose one streamer today it’s still the Apple TV 4K but....with some improvements this could be the box to have...dear rovi/tivo I will gladly sign up for a focus group for you so we can talk about the direction this box needs to go. If you are serious about this new direction then things need to happen fast not at old tivo speed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaronwt and cyterio like this.
  8. jaselzer

jaselzer Active Member

Sep 10, 2018
    So, I am generally liking the Stream 4K. But I am noticing a particular problem(before you ask: I have a very robust internet connection, strong wifi and an excellent wifi connection). When I load an app, lets say Prime Video, a show will launch just fine, but then after a few seconds, the show speeds up for about 2 seconds and then slows down to normal speed. However, I cannot quite put my finger on it, but there is something about the way the shows are playing that makes me slightly nauseous, almost as though my eyes are straining to see the video properly. I can barely tell but there seems to be some sort of very very slight jumping or breaking of the video that makes it difficult to watch. This happens in every app, including Sling. Any thoughts? I do not have this problem with any other streaming devices. I am not a tech guy, so I have no idea what might be causing this.

9. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    For the most part, I like it. The remote feels more comfortable than the Fire Sticks.

A couple little annoying things, like no CEC control to automatically switch inputs. I’m getting an occasional flickering on 4k60 within plex and emby on the 75in LG it’s connected too and always on HDR.

The TiVo part doesn’t do much as Prime is all I have that’s integrated. I’ll probably just leave the TiVo app disabled and hidden.

I’m kind of leaning towards going back to the 4K Fire Stick for now as my primary. I think this device gives a better picture on YoutubeTV, but the fire stick seems to work better with Philo.

Plex and Emby seem to load and run quicker on this device, but I had to change the resolution down on the Stream 4K to get rid of the flicker within plex and emby.

Hopefully updates will continue and it will continue to improve.

10. jaselzer

jaselzer Active Member

Sep 10, 2018
    My unsophisticated impressions:
    1.)I want this to succeed, the general concept is great and I applaud Tivo stepping out and trying to create a unified section for all your sources.
    2.) There clearly are firmware/software updates required to make the 4K successful. For instance, Vudu does not display UHD content, it is downsized to HDX. There are a number of issues like this.
    3.) In my mind, the single biggest issue standing in the way of the 4K's success is truly making the experience seamless. In other words, ALL, ALMOST ALL, VERY CLOSE TO ALL, streaming apps NEED to be integrated. I would guess at this point, there is not one person who is completely satisfied with the number of integrated apps in the STREAM universe. The reason I say this is because if the user is forced to step out of STREAM to use an app that (s)he uses, then unconsciously, or even consciously, there will be a motivation to simply use the most sophisticated streamer available, and that is probably a Roku, ATV4K, Firestick, and/or Shield at this point in time. Tivo's 4K Stream has only ONE thing going for it and that is the STREAM app and it needs to be super user friendly and efficient in a quick way. I do not think Tivo has much time in this regard. Because now that they have put their sword in the ground, the other streaming box manufacturers are going to run to make sure that Tivo does not gain ground. Therefore, Tivo's firmware/software upgrades need to be often and significant to gain ground. As of this moment, I give the 4K Stream a "meh", but I am hanging in there with the hope that Tivo has "all hands on deck" to make improvements fast.
    4.) So for the time being either ATV4K or the Roku Ultra are my go to boxes, but I am keeping the 4K Stream online with the hope that Tivo will push frequent updates.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  11. jimpmc

jimpmc Active Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Some background on my setup and experience with AndroidTV & TiVo:
    TiVo: Had TiVo HD, Premier, Bolt, Mini. Use TiVo Online.
    AndroidTV/Streaming: Have Nexus Player, nVidia Shield (2017). Also own FireStick 4k and Roku. Use Integrated streaming apps on Samsung 2019 model.
    Have Cable still and use with TiVo Bolt/Cablecard.

I have used this for about 30 minutes now. It will definitely replace my aged Nexus Player, so it's better than that. But, it can be so much more. Here is my initial feedback:

1) Integrate HBO GO. This should be a no-brainer. You already have HBO NOW's content, so it's just a duplicate of that with a link to launch HBO GO instead. I have HBO GO with my cable subscription. You also already have HBO GO on TiVo online. I get that HBO is the one who forked the subscription bases, but allow for the flexibility. Users can turn on HBO NOW or HBO GO from the streaming services menu.

2) Integrate Showtime/Showtime Anytime (again deal with both since Showtime also forked the login based on how you get access, direct vs. included with cable).

3) Integrate Starz

4) Integrate other sources, as there are more that others use

5) In the absence of 2-4, create another launch button from the My Shows list that lets me choose an AndroidTV app to launch myself. For example, say I want the latest episodes of Homeland which only appear on Showtime/Showtime Anytime. I can add it to My Shows even since it shows up with Hulu (also can search, but see #9 as it doesn't appear if you can't actually watch it with the selected streaming services). If I had a shortcut that allowed me to choose to launch into another AndroidTV app I could at least select Showtime myself.

6) As for the TiVo Stream - My Shows needs some enhancements. Right now I can sort by date or alphabetical. As this list grows, it will become harder to really be useful. This needs more organization and ways to filter, similar to how imdb.com allows you to manage and filter your watchlist. Let me sort/filter/choose by:
    - movies vs. TV Shows
    - genres
    - year of release
    - others
    - available to stream/not currently available to stream (see #9)

7) Let me organize My Shows into my own categories/tags like 80s movies, Recommended Movies, Kids, etc. Items should be allowed to be tagged into any # of groupings.

8) Maybe also allow for profiles. That way my kids can have their own lists.

9) I found that I could add items to My Shows by searching (i.e. Toy Story 4), but they don't show up if they don't appear as available or I disable a streaming service. This is frustrating and needs to be added back in, as I still want a universal repository of Shows/Movies I'm interested in. If TiVo Stream won't let me do it, then I will have to find another way.

There's probably others, but as another poster mentioned, TiVo should arrange for some focus groups, as there are many that want this to be successful, but it needs some enhancements, some of which are not that difficult to implement.

One bug: after being in TiVo Stream for a while, I hit the round circle to get to AndroidTV home and got a blank screen. I could still get into TiVo Stream via the TiVo button and use Google Assistant, but ultimately had to restart the device to get AndroidTV's home screen back.

This bug happened again. I found I could use Google Assistant to get into settings, then choose Apps, then System Apps, then Force Close AndroidTV home that made it work again. Better than rebooting the device, but this has to get fixed.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    jaselzer likes this.
  12. jaselzer

jaselzer Active Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I like your post. I have a similar set of circumstances with all your streamers and also cable tv. I am in the same situation and your suggestions are right on imho.

13. KZEMALIS2

KZEMALIS2 New Member

May 8, 2020
    I am finding that you can't add a Netflix show to Whats Next. Is this a bug or is this like the Apple TV issue with Netflix?

14. jimpmc

jimpmc Active Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I can confirm, but that is an AndroidTV thing, as it happens on my nVidia Shield also.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    With my tests of the apps, like amazon and netflix, the Stream 4K has done great. They have started streaming at an Ultra HD resolution or ramped up to it within two or three seconds. But in the multiple hours I used my stream 4K last night, I never encountered what you described. It was painful watching the forced Dolby Vision or forced HDR10. But then I just concentrated on watching strictly DV content with it set to DV. And HDR10 content with it set to HDR10. And just tried not watching any SDR content. The menus are bad enough with the forced HDR.

By far the biggest issue for me right now with this device is the forced HDR. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

brotony likes this.
  16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've seen a couple people mention forced HDR. What is the disadvantage of watching something SDR in HDR? I would think unpscaling is a good thing?

17. yaggermr

yaggermr New Member

May 11, 2020
    +1 volume issues of volume just going off and the issue above as well

18. yaggermr

yaggermr New Member

May 11, 2020
    It makes some non hdr content look off colors look way over saturated or washed out in other places. Menus look off. It's not good.

19. stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    I am going to be writing my review up through the day today will post when I can.

20. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Jan 16, 2004
    I ground to a halt when I discovered the HDR is always on and there's no way to turn it off (or make it automatic like it's supposed to be). Submitted a case to tech support but am not confident since the Edge DVR has had the same issue since its release... last October.

It also keeps turning my TV back on after I turn it off. Turning off HMDI CEC is not an option since I use it with other devices on the same TV.

I will likely be returning mine if they don't fix these issues in a couple of weeks.

Steveknj likes this.