List of HDTV shows for upcoming season

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dilorc, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Aug 1, 2006 #1 of 16
    dilorc

dilorc Nice Guy

Feb 12, 2002
    Gaithersburg...
    So I just took the plunge into HDTV. I will only have HDTV locals from my cable company, including FOX and CW.

I'm looking for a list of shows that will be on in the 2006-2007 season that will be in HDTV. A schedule grid would be best, but a simple list would be OK. I'm trying to avoid having to go to each individual network website and try to figure out what's going to be in HDTV. I'm building a MythTV box that will have 2 HD tuners, so I'm trying to figure out if there will be conflicts.

Thanks.

2. Aug 1, 2006 #2 of 16
    AstroDad

AstroDad Like Death & Taxes

Jan 21, 2003
    Houston
    rule of thumb...anything that is in prime time that is not a "news" program (Dateline, 20/20, etc.) or reality show will be in HD

3. Aug 1, 2006 #3 of 16
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Yeah it would probably be easier and much shorter list to list those shows NOT in HD.

4. Aug 1, 2006 #4 of 16
    dilorc

dilorc Nice Guy

Feb 12, 2002
    Gaithersburg...
    Cool. I figured that most of the shows would be in HD, but wasn't sure.

To hijack my own thread, do those of you with HD DVRs record everything you can in HD or do you pick and choose? For example, is it worth recoreding "The Office" in HD? I figure it will be a factor of 10 difference between recording the HD version and the SD version.

5. Aug 1, 2006 #5 of 16
    Andrew_S

Andrew_S Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    Yes.

The only time I record something in SD is when the show is broadcast in SD. You can save a bit of disk space by not recording The Amazing Race from the OTA HD broadcast. Of course, this is easier if you have access to DirecTV/cable and the SD channels. It might not be a big concern if you don't record many HD shows or have upgraded your tivo with a larger drive.

I should add that the quality of the picture on the HD channels is generally better than the quality of the image on the SD channels. So if you're a stickler for a good image, then you should record everything from the HD channels, whether it's HD or not.

6. Aug 1, 2006 #6 of 16
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Last year "My Name Is Earl" had a few funny things in the background that could only be seen in HD. Randy holding the sign that read "High Def Rocks!!!" is the one the comes to mind.

7. Aug 1, 2006 #7 of 16
    jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I do, but I have two dual-tuner boxes with up-to-63 and up-to-70 hour capacities. So I almost never have tuner conflicts, although we did get have to delete some episodes this May when we really got behind on shows. But there were enough that got recorded on both boxes so it was just a matter of deleting them from one or the other.

Anyway, if you have to limit your HD recordings to certain shows based on recording capacity (which I gather is your concern), I'd obviously start with the shows that are not actually in HD - Survivor, Scrubs, The Simpsons, a handful of others among prime-time broadcast network shows. After that, it's largely a matter of personal preference. HD is so far superior to SD that I don't think you can make a blanket statement that there's less of a difference in certain genres of shows. You could maybe point to specific aspects of certain shows, such as the scenery in Lost, the frequent dark scenes in CSI (not to mention the flyovers of the Vegas Strip!), but it may just come down to something like the Office being your favorite show and you'd rather watch that in HD than something with a particular characteristic like those. One other subjective criterion (assuming it matters to you) is that some shows are shown in letterbox even in the SD broadcast (e.g. ER and I believe Smallville) so you're at least not losing a portion of the picture with those shows.

Btw, the recording capacity factor is around 6.7:1 for SD vs. HD. EDIT: Actually, I believe technically that would be analog vs. digital, not SD vs. HD strictly speaking.

8. Aug 1, 2006 #8 of 16
    AccidenT

AccidenT New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    South...
    FYI, The season finale of Scrubs was in HD, and it seems likely they'll continue with HD for the upcoming season.

9. Aug 1, 2006 #9 of 16
    dilorc

dilorc Nice Guy

Feb 12, 2002
    Gaithersburg...
    Thanks for the input.

My master plan is to build a MythTV box. Right now, I'll have about 620 GB for storage. However, that will be shared amoung music, pictures, DVD rips, and TV shows. The backend will have 2 HD tuners and 2 MPEG-4 capure devices for SD.

My plan is to reccord everything I can in HD. Since HD will be a direct digital capture, it will definately have better quality that the SD capture. THe SD capture is going to be an analog capture from my Directv box.

I'm looking forward to getting this setup and working!

10. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Cool, but bummer for me. But I only record that in SD anyway. Well, I'll have to keep an eye out for the repeat. We actually just watched the 2nd-to-last episode last night, we're behind on that, too. Still, nice to know.

11. mhn2

mhn2 New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    We record some shows like "The Office" on the bedroom SD DirecTiVo because we would rather watch them at night before bed and don't mind the SD version.

12. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I know you said you only have cable, and I dont know how this works on cable to be honest. but even recording SD stuff OTA on the HD channel is worth it because of the great quality vs DTVs locals in SD.

This may only apply to the directv signal though. I dont know if the HD channels on cable are the same as with OTA. (or if the difference is as dramatic because maybe cable has good SD?)

comments?

13. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I would agree that the picture is noticeably sharper for an SD show on a digital channel (in my case, OTA, don't have cable). I've noticed it on Survivor, for example. However, and it's purely subjective, but I don't think it's worth the nearly 7x disk space. Although I guess for a show like Survivor, which I normally watch within a day, it wouldn't matter much. But considering we usually get 1-2 months behind by the end of the TV season, I wouldn't be filling up my hard drives with up-converted SD. But it's a matter of personal preference, you might find the improvement from the up-conversion worth it. And I would suspect the same should be true for cable, it's the same source, just a difference in how the signal gets to your house.

14. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    maybe it's because I have a CRT that's it's so worth it for me. however I also want to note on the cable stations, the hitachi does a great job of cleaning up the SD when it's on 1080. Smooths it out. And while the hitachi does a great job on stretch for SD DTV (people aren't too fat), the SD over OTA with bars is something very very superior on my tv. I didnt think that on other tvs it may not be that dramatic so that's another variable to watch out for. It may/may not be so dramatic on your tv.

Heck my wife just noticed the other day that we've had good OTA for a while now and she said she thinks she may even switch her oprah to OTA. In the beginning of OTA i wasn't sure she would like the bars but watching survivor, charmed etc in clear 4x3 was so much better than DTVs locals that she's now hooked and records most everything SD OTA that's possible.

Heck, one day my mom was over and we put on SD vs SD OTA and even she noticed the big difference :)

15. andydumi

andydumi Fish. Butt.

Jun 26, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Are there any more things? This is hilarious.

16. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago