lip sync only on recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by alexf, Oct 26, 2006.

1. alexf

alexf New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    uk berkshire
    Hi everyone,

My (standard) tivo has just start to show lip sync issues but only on playback of recordings, its fine on live tv.
    Its about a 1 second delay, been doing it for about a week now and I cant see how to stop it.

I dont want to get rid of tivo but if I cant cure it then there is no way I could put up with it (no matter how great the tivo experience has been!)

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks

Alex

2. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    If you were taking the sound directly from an STB, and the picture from the TiVo, then the sound would be around one second in advance of the picture.

Are TiVo's menu sound-effects in sync?

3. alexf

alexf New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    uk berkshire
    Hi Ian,

Everything else is fine and in sync. The sound and picture is from sky to tivo and the same from tivo to amp and tv

thanks

Alex

4. alexf

alexf New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    uk berkshire
    Forgot to mention that its been fine for the last 4years and nothing else has been added/changed recently but bear in mind that live tv, menus and all other aspects are ok, just not the recorded programs. Fast forwrding and rewinding make no difference to the amount of delay, switching on and off again doesnt change anything either.

5. aitcheff

aitcheff New Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Redhill, Surrey
    When you say 'switching on and off ' do you mean you did a restart of Tivo (or pulled the plug and then replugged)? Or do you mean you put it into Standby?

I've very occassionally had lip synch problems but they've always been fixed by a Restart.

6. alexf

alexf New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    uk berkshire
    aitcheff,

only pushing standby button. will i lose all my recorings if i unplug?

7. alexf

alexf New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    uk berkshire
    "recordings"

8. Cainam

Cainam Tivo Evangelist

May 25, 2004
    Chester-le-S...
    Nope, unplugging/restarting is fine. After the restart all the shows you have told it to record in the future will still be in the "to do" list, and all the programs already recorded will be in the"now showing" list.

Probably not the best idea to unplug/restart while it is actually recording something though!

In case you are not aware (and in case the plug sockets are hard to get to) there is a Restart option within one of the menus.

9. alexf

alexf New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    uk berkshire
    nice one, thanks. Far too many cables, i'll use the menu option (which i didn't know about, ta)
    I'll give it a go tomorrow.

10. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Be aware that a soft restart from the menu does not always solve everything that a hard restart (pull the plug) will do.

11. Rob Nespor Bellis

Rob Nespor Bellis Grumpy Sod

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    No.

FYI going in to standby does not turn off the TiVo at all, it only blanks the output and mutes the volume.

Rgds,

R.

12. aitcheff

aitcheff New Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Redhill, Surrey
    Rather than try to pull the plug out at the back, you can of course just turn the Tivo off at the wall.

I can confirm that I have never lost recordings or settings by unplugging or restarting my Tivo. Even if the Tivo is recording, it will automatically start recording again when it has fully rebooted, so you only lose the time taken to reboot in your recording. In fact you then get two recordings in your Now Showing. One before the restart and one after.

In my experience Tivos (Tivi?) appear to be pretty robust.