Link in post changed

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by BrandonRe, Mar 28, 2017.

1. BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA

Advertisements

Yesterday, I wrote this post and included a link to the Amazon page for the product I was referencing. Today, I happened to revisit the post and hit the link and it took me to ebay. I checked, and sure enough the link was an ebay page. I know I didn't put an ebay link in the post. I even went back and checked my browser history to confirm the page I had open yesterday for the product was in Amazon. Is the forum software hijacking and replacing links? If so, that's not cool. Not that my post is important for the sake of history, but in a few weeks time if someone were to come across my post and follow the link, with an ebay link it will have a good chance of being gone if the listing has expired. With Amazon the chance is much less likely that it would lead to a dead link.

I think it's just odd and somewhat disrespectful for the forum software to change our posts without any sort of notification.

2. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    It goes to Amazon for me. Are you sure it's not just Viglink?

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Takes me to eBay as well. When I inspect the post element, it's definitely an eBay URL, so it's not a case of redirection.

4. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Takes me to Amazon. The link is to Amazon in the post.

I quoted the post. Copied and pasted but broke the quote and url tags.

QUOTE="BrandonRe, post: 11176583, member: 146207"]I will be the opposite voice- we have Kwikset locks and haven't experienced the keys not working. We have URL='these']Kwikset 909 SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt featuring SmartKey in Satin Nickel - - Amazon.com Kwikset locks with a keypad and traditional key[/URL. There is also a version which uses a wireless module to control the lock but we don't have those. The code can be changed and you can have multiple codes so you can have a code to give to a pet sitter for example, and then change it once you are back from your trip so that code is no longer valid.

We hardly ever use the key these days. Have to change batteries about once a year in the back door and a couple times a year in the front door.[/QUOTE

Let me try that again. It keeps making it a url link.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

It's Vigilink.

The URL appeared to link to eBay and that's where it took me. However, a quick search revealed the Vigilink opt-out post (here), and after disabling Vigilink the URL was restored to an Amazon link and took me to the intended page.

See also:

edit: p.s. As someone who occasionally makes specific product purchase recommendations, I'm definitely not a fan of the forum software altering and misrepresenting my purchase suggestions.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  6. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    One more try...

I broke the quotes and removed the dots, https, and some other sh** from the amazon link. But everything you see below was there.

QUOTE="BrandonRe, post: 11176583, member: 146207"]I will be the opposite voice- we have Kwikset locks and haven't experienced the keys not working. We have
    www amazon com Kwikset-SmartCode-Electronic-Deadbolt-featuring/dp/B00NT1OX5K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490632280&sr=8-4&keywords=kwikset+keypad']these Kwikset locks with a keypad and traditional key[/URL]. There is also a version which uses a wireless module to control the lock but we don't have those. The code can be changed and you can have multiple codes so you can have a code to give to a pet sitter for example, and then change it once you are back from your trip so that code is no longer valid.

We hardly ever use the key these days. Have to change batteries about once a year in the back door and a couple times a year in the front door.[/QUOTE

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe you have the permanent Vigilink opt-out known as paid TCF forum membership.

8. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Yes, I am a member.

Very weird behavior then. It shouldn't change links.

9. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    It went to Amazon for me too, no doubt for the same reason. Vigilink is evil.

10. BrandonRe

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am also a paid member. As the author of the post and a reader of it today, it would seem if paid membership was an issue then I wouldn't be seeing this.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What's the "STARTER" avatar sash about? Do you perhaps have some differing level or classification of membership that lacks the Vigilink opt-out?

12. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    You've never noticed the first post in every single thread has this?

krkaufman likes this.
  13. BrandonRe

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    "Starter" is on the avatar of whoever started the particular thread you are reading.

krkaufman likes this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, I've seen the "STARTER" sash all the time, just never bothered to try to figure out what it was.