Limits of an unsub Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by lillevig, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1 of 25
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I picked up a NIB Premiere really cheaply and figured I'd just save it for parts, if needed, on my lifetime Premiere. I know I can use it as an analog tuner without a subscription but I was wondering about a few other things:

1. Can I stick a CableCard in it and get all of my HD cable channels?

2. Can I transfer programs from one of my other boxes to the unsub unit?

3. With or without a subscription, can a Premiere (or S3 for that matter) play transferred HD programs without having a CableCard?

2. Nov 4, 2011 #2 of 25
    Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006

I believe the answers to these would be:

1. Yes assuming the CableCo pairs the card correctly.
    2. No transferring allowed without a sub.
    3. Yes you can play any programs that are on the Premiere recorded before your trial period runs out. I am uncertain as to whether the TiVo is properly attached to your account during a trial period, so you may not be able to transfer shows between TiVos anyways.

So the bottom line is that without a sub the Premiere turns into just a cable/ota tuner.

3. Nov 4, 2011 #3 of 25
    lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I asked the third question about either a sub or unsub Tivo. Given that #2 rules out the unsub, I'm still looking for an answer to #3 for a sub Tivo.

4. Nov 5, 2011 #4 of 25
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The cablecard has nothing to do with playing back programs, so if you can transfer a program from the Tivo with a cablecard to a Tivo without, it will play.

5. Nov 5, 2011 #5 of 25
    lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Thanks. That's what I thought. Wouldn't make sense that the recorded version would still have the cable encoding, especially since you can transfer to/from a PC.

6. Nov 5, 2011 #6 of 25
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's not even remotely possible.

7. Nov 5, 2011 #7 of 25
    Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    It has been since the early days of the S2 that I have used a trial period for a TiVo so I wasn't sure what was possible now.

8. Nov 5, 2011 #8 of 25
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So if you activate, during the first 30 days when you can change your mind and un-activate, you can't test to make sure it does transfers to and from TiVo Desktop and other TiVos on your account correctly?

9. Nov 5, 2011 #9 of 25
    whompus60

whompus60 Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Dothan, AL.
    My second tivo was active on my account the day of activation, and the rep I talked to said it had 30 days to be deactivated, if I wanted to.

10. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I'm talking about the free trial period on new Tivo's, not the 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee.

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Have a point?

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you talking about a brand new, never been used by anybody TiVo?

As opposed to one that's only "new" to someone who bought it from someone else.

Do you get this free trial just by plugging it in, or do you have to contact TiVo?

What features do or don't work during this trial period?

13. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    All I know is that the NIB Premiere I bought did not have any free trial period. After doing Guided Setup I checked the System Status and it said "Account Closed". Interestingly, it eventually did a software update and says that it has Guide data for the next 11 days. Of course, Guide data is useless without a sub.

14. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Isn't 'guide data' a temporary 'sub'?
    A temporary sub allows you to everything that a regular Tivo does except connect to other Tivos, right? (I am asking) I have a new Premiere without a sub and I can use most of the features of the 'Music, photos, and showcases' with having to pay for another 5 days. But it lets me try out tivo without paying for a sub, so that is nice.

15. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I can't do any recording. The other stuff doesn't matter.

16. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Can someone confirm for me .. you cannot transfer from your PC to your TIVO unless your TIVO is active and has subscription? ..

I wanted to set up a TIVO just play my home vidoes, of which I have a ton.

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Yeah, all of that copying video in and out of the TiVo is part of the TiVo software for which you have to have a sub to be licensed to use.

For what you have in mind perhaps some other "media player" set top box would be the better choice.

18. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Yeah. I think something like WD Live would do most of what I want but not give me the full-on TIVO features I like "resume" which is like an old fashioned bookmark in a book. We rarely watch longer things all the way through but pick up where we left off at some future date .. But then for home video, TIVO lacks a feature to stack up 10 videos ( maybe 5 min each) and play them all in a row. I'm assuming an HTPC could do that.

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    HTPCs and non-TiVo media players are outside of my areas of experience.

Perhaps a well-titled new post in the Coffehouse forum would grab more eyeballs, and get answers from people who know.

20. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Unplug Your Ethernet! The New Update Disables All Dvr Functionality!no More Pause, Rewind, Fastforward !