Limitless "Pilot" 9/22/15

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

Surprised no one started a thread about Limitless.

The lead reminds me of Peter Krauss.

How did they get Bradley Cooper to do this?
    (oh wait there was a movie? huh?)

Jennifer Carpenter is stiff as a board - and I LIKED her on Dexter.

Ron Rifkin? Blair Brown? Times must be tough.

I liked the first half and then started to loose interest.

2. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I liked it but it cool be much better.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I hadn't seen the movie, but from the commercials for the show, I was wondering why the FBI needed this guy (instead of having an FBI agent take the drug). I'm glad they addressed that...

4. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I enjoyed it, but I also really liked the movie. I'm in.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida

Advertisements

I enjoyed it. I don't see it lasting though since it seems like it could turn into just another run of the mill super detective show.

I know Bradley Cooper said he would be making more appearances as his schedule allows.

6. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Cooper was credited as an executive producer on the 2011 movie so I think he has some of the rights involved.

He played the same character there as he did here.

Although, in the movie
    he didn't need to take NZT by the end. His brain was functioning at higher capacity without the daily dose of NZT.

As for the pilot, I thought it was a very mediocre pilot from Kurtzman and Orci.
    Even Bradley Cooper couldn't push my interest level up that much.

I have no doubt this will develop into "just another CBS procedural" with a gimmick.
    (Take two parts Sherlock and one part Scorpion and mix....)

Also, I'm fairly certain that the evidence from the safe deposit box would immediately be thrown out court as inadmissible unless they lie about it.

7. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    he's listed as executive producer.

8. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I liked this more that I expected. Keeping for now.

9. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    same for me, it's probably one of my favorite pilots this season.

10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    This. I'm really skeptical about the FBI plot device for showing he's smart with the NZT. And limiting him to doses only when they need him.

11. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I thought the pilot was excellent as a stand alone. I am not sure how they can make a series out of it though without turning into another cop show procedural (as someone mentioned above). I hope they can pull it off.

Jennifer Carpenter looks like she aged 10 years since I last saw her in Dexter.

12. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I've seen the movie and liked the pilot. I agree that it's going to be difficult to stretch this out to an extended series, but they've done it with far worse plotlines. Jennifer Carpenter isn't going to win an Emmy for her acting skills, but I didn't have a problem with her at all in this show. Dexter went so far downhill in the last few seasons that she just got lost in the mire.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This, exactly, and it's already being advertised that way, so I might watch one more episode (since I thought the pilot was ok) and it turns into this, then I'm done. Seems to me they are trying to take a movie that appealed to younger demos, pigeonholing it into a typical procedural that generally appeals to a much older audience and hoping they can get that younger demo to watch and keep these procudural cop shows going in perpetuity. I've fallen for it a couple of times (The Vegas show a couple of years ago that took place in the 1960s, and Persons of Interest) and ended up bailing.

14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, except for the fact that Person of Interest isn't a procedural cop show.
    (And in fact, Limitless is replacing on the schedule for now.)

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I understand that POI ended up not a procedural, but the first few episodes at least appeared that it would be, and it was enough to give up on it. Perhaps the same will happen here, but that's not how they are advertising the show.

16. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    not at all

It's gone into syndication here in NYC and I'm rewatching it from the beginning.

And even though I've seen them all before I had forgotten how many flashbacks and reveals they did of Harold and the machine's origin even in the first couple of episodes.

Seeing the flashbacks and reveals and the interactions with Fusco and with Carter chasing him shows it's much more than just a procedural.

17. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It was enough for you to give up on it.
    But since it didn't end up as "just another CBS procedural", perhaps you should stop using it as an example of one.

I agree that's how they are advertising the show, and I also know that this is a Kurtzman & Orci production so I'm doubtful that it really will be more that "just another CBS Procedural".

Kurtzman and Orci can be really hit or miss but it's been more miss of late, especially since their last two CBS efforts were Scorpion and Hawaii Five-O.

18. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I think I missed it. Why did they need him instead of someone else?

19. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Because the drug has bad side effects from repeat usage. But FBI testing showed that he was immune to the side effects.

They think his immunity is biological or genetic or whatever. But we know that Bradley gave him an injection (which IIRC is only temporary)...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  20. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    Thanks. I saw the injection but I missed it from the FBI's point of view, I guess.