Limitations of S1 v.s. S2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by trburwell, Dec 14, 2006.

1. trburwell

trburwell New Member

Dec 12, 2006

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm thinking of buying a used S1 (sony svr-2000) with lifetime service, and upgrading the drive, or adding dual drives to make it record more hours.

I'm a newbie to S1, but I'm familliar with the S2 Humax, as I set one up for my Mom about a year ago.

Should I try to find a S2 box with lifetime?

I'm thinking the S1 Sony srv-2000 has the basic features I want, but I'm afraid the limited upgradeability will be a bummer. What is the max number of hours that can acheived with S1? It looks like weaknees and tivo have upgrade kits up to 250 hrs or so. Is this the max? or can it be higher?

Thank you for your thoughts and experience.

Tim

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Not sure about the max hours, but here is some info.

Limitations of the Series 1:
    1. No network support without hacking and adding a card
    2. No TiVo-To-Go
    3. No Scheduling programs online
    4. No folders
    5. No recently deleted folder
    6. Won't get any new features which may come out

Advantages of Series 1:
    1. Most can be used as a manual recorder without a subscription
    2. More hackable (see the Underground Forum for much more info)
    3. Won't get any new features which may come out (some see this as a plus since new features sometimes bring new bugs as well).

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There's no limit on the max hours. At most you'll have to install an "LBA48-aware" kernel, but I think (not sure) that as of software version 3.5, you don't need to do that.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No folders but there is limited sorting.

Hit SLOW 0 RECORD THUMBS-UP in Now Playing, then you can use 1 2 3 to change the sorting criterion.

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

Advertisements

SA S1 software ended at v3.0

6. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    There are those who believe the S1 standalones have better PQ as well.

7. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO

I think both my S1's had better PQ than any of my S2's.

8. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Add to disadvantage:
    No MRV

Add under the advantage column:
    Because of #2 (more hackable), you can get equivalent of Tivo-To-Go, Online Scheduling, and a lot of features you won't find on the S2 unless you hack it.

There is MRV-like functionality (I think - could be wrong) but every unit in the home must have the same software patch to utilize it.

9. RAZUR_BLADEZ

RAZUR_BLADEZ New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    How much for the svr2000? I have a svr200 with lifetime that I found at yard 25 bucks :) :). I also upgraded to a 200GB drive. It's a great unit. You have to make up your mind on what features you want and need. Buying a working tivo s1 with lifetime is money in the bank. It's worth 300 bucks on ebay.

david

10. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...

Same here. On my Series 1 I can record a lot of shows in Medium quality with acceptable results, but I can't record anything less than High Quality on my Series 2.

11. WhoAmI

WhoAmI New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    MA
    Huh, I'm surprised by the picture quality comments. I have a Philips HDR212 S1 and a fairly new TiVo 5400 S2, and in my configuration, both set at high quality, the S2 has noticeably better picture quality. I have only a modest, small, analog TV (high quality but old Mitsubishi), with S-Video connections. I assumed the difference was due to the higher resolution used by the S2 encoding (so I was told, haven't verified). But the other key difference is that the S2 input is via composite cable to a digital cable box (DCT2000), while the S1 has a 75 ohm coax and uses the internal tuner. I haven't tried the cable box on the S1 before (because I don't like flakey IR blaster connections; the S2 uses a serial connection, a key selling point), but maybe the tuner is the source of the lower quality?

Note that while my S1 has a serial port also, its software is not able to control the cable box with it. This is an example of the disadvantage of not getting newer versions of the software.

12. technomutt

technomutt New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    THANKYOU!!! for that little tidbit... folders are the only thing I miss on the Series1 units. That is, unless someone has hacked this feature into the S1 as well??? If so, kindly point me in the direction of the appropriate thread... :D

13. technomutt

technomutt New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    If you have your default recording quality set to Medium, you will notice the difference. Medium is much better on the S1... at least compared to Medium on my Humax.

14. technomutt

technomutt New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Hope this isn't a hijack, but can you point me to a list of these "hidden" commands, if such exists?

15. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
  16. WhoAmI

WhoAmI New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    MA
    I use Medium very infrequently, so don't have any comments about the difference there (I've found Medium acceptable on the S1). At Best quality, using the live loops, my S2 looks better than my S1. My S1 has VBR on ("save disk space") and RF smoothing off. I'm sure the video source is a contributor to the difference though.

As for features, I like the folders but I like the "recently deleted" folder even more -- that's what I miss most on the S1.

17. pokegol

pokegol New Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Chicago
    TivoWebPlus gets you undelete capability and its trivial to hack an S1 to put TivoWeb on the box.

TivoWebPlus is the only thing I miss on my S2. Even thought its gotten easier to hack the S2, I think you have to re-hack it after a software upgrade and that is a PITA that I don't really want to deal with. I know you can disable software upgrades, but eventually, ya gotta mess with it. I want to set it and forget it.

Folders is the only thing I miss on my S1's. If my S1 had folders, I would dump my S2 in a heartbeat (sorry S2 :)).

18. technomutt

technomutt New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    FYI - I've stopped doing this to my S1... it was causing weird things to happen... shows not matching their descriptions, etc. I may re-engage it from time to time but I don't think I'll leave it sorted any other way but default when I'm not actually watching.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Huh what? You have to give far more details to convince me there's any chance issues you are seeing are at all related to this sorting behavior.

I have been using it for years on my S1s and have never seen problems. I know that my two data points don't prove anything either, but many others have known about this sorting behavior too, and I've never seen others mention problems either.

20. technomutt

technomutt New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    OK, I'll look into it a little more and see if I can give more details... if I can, I'll start a new thread. One thing I can say is that I just replaced the drive, so it's not likely to be a drive about to fail.