limit reached problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by larrys3255, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Jun 3, 2018 #1 of 13
    larrys3255

larrys3255 New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    West Los...
    There are several shows that do not record using the OnePass with the error "limit reached". I tried both using the options "when space needed" or "when I delete it", but the same happens. Also there is only 72% full on the DVD.
    I called TIVO tech support multiple times and tried everything they recommend. It is a shame they no longer send someone out to solve problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Jun 4, 2018 #2 of 13
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You don't mention the obvious, what is the "Keep at Most" value for the OnePass that recorded the episodes that were deleted?

Also, what makes you think TiVo ever sent people out to fix people's problems? AFAIK they never had a service network with local offices to support such a thing. I can't imagine it would be economic. Perhaps you're making the little joke, no?

3. Jun 4, 2018 #3 of 13
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I believe the default setting on one passes is 25 episodes, is it possible that you "reached that limit"?

4. Jun 4, 2018 #4 of 13
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You are correct, the default is 25. If you set it to All, there will never be a yellow dot in My Shows.

5. Jun 4, 2018 #5 of 13
    aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Well, that is odd. I've never reached that limit and my Bolt has simply deleted older shows. I never even thought about it as a limit as much as it would only keep at most 25 shows and delete older ones as newer ones came in. At least that is how it has worked for me.

6. Jun 4, 2018 #6 of 13
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    I would expect that action if a 1P is set up with Keep Until I Delete and a 25 episode limit. There may be a bug that if you started with those options and then changed it to delete when needed it still wont delete. I know the max episodes delete function works as I record the late news with a max of 3 episodes. Every day the oldest is deleted

7. Jun 4, 2018 #7 of 13
    aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    That makes sense. I never set to keep until I delete. Okay.

8. Jun 4, 2018 #8 of 13
    larrys3255

larrys3255 New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    West Los...

9. Jun 4, 2018 #9 of 13
    larrys3255

larrys3255 New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    West Los...
    I have tried using the default of 25 episodes, but I also tried using different numbers of episodes from 1-5 . What do people recommend? And I guess that I do not understand something since why do you need more than a single episode?
    Tivo Support had recommended to me the 25 episode default setting and the "keep until I delete" setting?

I just saw from this Forum that one can upgrade the HD drive - perhaps this is the problem? Or could it be that the Bolt I have has developed a problem and should be replaced? In any case I never have had this problem for several years so something has changed.

Yes it was an attempt at dark humor. On this, does anyone know if there is a list of local independent knowledgeable people in different cities who could repair Tivo problems for a charge?

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    People recommend different things depending on viewing habits. I change my default from 25 to All. Usually it's not an issue, but I don't like yellow dots and I have a series that I will record for the summer dry spell. Right now I have every episode of NCIS: Los Angeles on one TiVo. That's 218 eps and I have yet to watch a single one. On a 3TB drive that is 65% full, I still have not physically filled the drive. It has deleted programs going back to 10/2/17. But that's extreme. I have this season's SEAL Team also. It helps to have two TiVo units. I also trust my TiVo to kill (delete forever) programs only when the disk is physically full. I know when that happens.

As for help, start by including your location in your account data. Then hang around and see who knows their stuff.

11. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Since you have "keep at most" set to a number and "keep until I delete", this is what will happen when you get that number of episodes recorded. From your other remarks, I think you are under the impression that "keep at most" means to keep that many copies of a particular episode, but what it actually means is to set a limit on the number of episodes of the series as a whole to keep.

So if you record "Dragnet", it will stop recording episodes when you have 25 recordings of "Dragnet". If you change "Keep until:" to "Space needed", it will delete the oldest episode when it records a new one.

What I like is to keep all episodes, and keep them until I delete. When I watch an episode I delete it, or use KMTTG (or some less savory method) to move it to my NAS. (Some folks think KUID (Keep Until I Delete) is a tool of the devil and have an irrational fear of it, but I've never had a problem with it.) When I get around 90%, usually about this time of year, I look around for series that have start to pile up and ask myself whether I really care about them any more.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I reach this limit on dozens of shows. Because I have the 1P set to only keep one or two episodes. But it doesn't stop new shows from being recorded. It just deletes the old shows to record a new one. And only keep one or two episodes in my show list.

This is what I do with the news programs I record. With scripted programs I have my One Passes typically set to keep 5 or ten episodes. But the same thing applies. Once it reaches the limit of what I have set to keep, it will delete the oldest recording to make room for the newest recording.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Pick a program. Hit Right. Select Keep until. Watch the date change. Load kmttg or pyTiVo. Look at My Shows. Notice all the yellow dots. So many things to ignore.