Lights out. Anybody still watching?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Feb 27, 2011.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I just finished the last four episodes between yesterday and today and five over the last three days. I like this show. I don't know why I had let five episodes back up when I watch far inferior programs like V and Smallville on a weekly basis.

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I missed the first few episodes, but have probably watched the last... 7 or 8? I think the series is pretty good. I watch V, too, and Lights Out is definitely better, on many levels.

3. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Love it. Great show.

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I watched the 1st two back to back, and really enjoyed it. So I have saved up I think 4-5 now, and looking forward to watching them in a group.

5. justen_m

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

That's what I did. I noticed that I had 5 recorded, and hadn't watched a single episode yet. I ended up watching all 5 in a row, staying up later than I intended. I was hooked. I boxed (collegiate) for a couple years, long ago, so that might have had some influence.

I still haven't seen the first couple/few episodes. The first one I saw was the one after Lights broke the Dentist's arm. At first I thought Johnny had somehow lost everybody's money in some Bernie Madoff-type scam without their knowledge, but it looks like he made a poor real-estate investment that Lights and he were both in on (The Landing, IIRC?). I'm guessing, however, the he also lost all of their dad's money, and hasn't told anyone about that. I think Lights figured it out when Pops told him he had given his money to Johnny to handle.

6. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I watched the first and second and missed the third, and I have the rest queued. I'll get to them, really... unfortunately my wife is not a fan of boxing shows so I have to watch them by myself. Now that Justified has started, plus we're loving Shameless, plus our normal stuff... it's getting harder to find time.

7. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm in the same situation but I can't find my missing episode via legal or illegal means. I need FX to run a marathon so I can get my missing episode.

8. Mar 3, 2011 #8 of 20
    philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Really like this show. Middle daughter is a very interesting character in contrast to the poorly cast 14yr old daughter in Blue Bloods. Got my wife to watch despite the boxing bit. It's got all that FX edginess going for it and at the same time is a family drama. Definitely worth watching.

9. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    This show has been pretty good though it doesn't seem like many are interested based on the forum. The last episode was weaker. It seems like they're on a tight budget not using rotating main characters for whole episodes.

Can this get a second season?

10. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Big mistake getting rid of Ed Romeo. The character and the actor.

The middle daughter is the third most interesting character on the show behind Lights and Ed Romeo.

11. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Agree wholeheartedly.
    Point is moot now since FX cancelled the show. Hey, maybe they were pissed that Ed was dropped? :)

12. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't know about anybody else but I was somewhat disappointed in the finale. I don't want to spoil anything for the couple of people who haven't seen it yet, so I'll stop there.

13. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I wonder if they had different ways to end it depending on if it got picked up.
    They totally left the boxing managers motives up in the air. But I like how they ended it for the most part.

14. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I've loved this series up to the last episode. Too many unrealistic things once the fight started. Still, I'd love to see another network pick it up next season.

15. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Here's what I didn't like about the finale:

- Did Lights ever train after Ed Romeo left? I must have blinked if he did.

- Lights looked terrible in the ring. I've read that the punches weren't faked so I have to give them credit for that but Colt McCallany looked like an old plow horse.

- Has anybody been successfully rope-a-doped since Ali did it to Forman 30+ years ago? Reynolds would have to be dumber than a rock to fall for it.

- There's no way Death Row Reynolds was 20 lbs heavier than Lights

- The ref was Snidely Whiplash crooked

- I really did not like Lights being alone in the dressing room after the fight, him wandering around the hallways and the "Who won?" question. The bout of dementia was just too sudden.

I liked the show as a whole and definitely would have tuned in if there were another season.

16. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, if we CAN post "spoilers" in this thread....

* They did say the ref had been "gotten to" during the bout. But in real life, these days that could not happen in a heavyweight title bout - but even if it could the ref would NEVER make it that obvious.

* There's no way Lights would have been alone in his dressing room at the end. Just wouldn't happen. And nobody immediately outside his dressing room? Nope - no way.

* Yes, he looked horrible from the opening bell - flat footed and old. Just not realistic given all the training he'd done.

* Not sure where you read the punches were real, but they clearly were not. They were either pulled or in slow-mo, but absolutely not "real". Didn't even look good (the Rocky films really spoiled us, didn't they :) ? ).

* Reynolds being carried out of the ring in his manager's arms? Really?

* As for the rope-a-dope, if a fighter is on the ropes and not throwing punches, most opponents will indeed keep punching - it's instinct.

As I said above, great series, but horribly unrealistic final episode.

17. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    What spoilers are visible?

18. justen_m

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I'm sad to see that the show is cancelled. I've really enjoyed it. At least they sort of wrapped things up, i.e. the Lights/Reynolds fight. I was afraid they'd end like the Rocky movie where Rocky and Apollo each throw a punch at each other, and then fade out.

19. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Given the cancellation, they ended it reasonably well. Not a BSG or LOST style ending that made the previous years irrelevant.

Colt DID look far more flat footed in the bout in contrast to his training footwork. That was a negative.

Calling it sudden dementia, maybe. But in real life football players get clocked and don't know what game they're playing, etc. Such disorientation is a major part in ruling them out of a game with a concussion.

I'll really miss this show. Mostly well done excepting writing out Ed Romeo as his temp trainer who completely stole the show. This was a series that featured large numbers of excellent black actors compared to std network fare in a non-black show. Shame to see those opportunities lost.

20. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Eamonn Walker and Reg E. Cathey did great great jobs. The show was going to get canceled anyway but I wish Ed Romeo had remained for the remainder of the season.