lightning strikes HDMI?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by scoobsnax, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 10
    scoobsnax

scoobsnax New Member

Aug 6, 2007

Advertisements

I have two S3 HDTivo. Both connected to LCD panels via HDMI. We have a lightning strike on a tree next to my house and the Tivo's HDMI or TV HDMI is no longer working?

When I connect via Svid and audio cables they work OK. I tried a new HDMI cable, no luck.

So, can lightning surge effect the HDMI port, when both Tivo's and TVs are plugged into battery/surge units. The Tivo's/TV's themselves work fine, just no HDMI connection. These are essentially identical setups in two rooms of the house experiencing the same problem at the same time after lighting.

Any ideas? TIA!

2. Aug 7, 2007 #2 of 10
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Did the TiVo reset to 480i output? That may kill HDMI functionality on many TV sets.

3. Aug 7, 2007 #3 of 10
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Guessing you've tried it, but have you tried a hard reboot with TiVo (unplug, wait 10-15 seconds and plug it back in)? I'd also do the same with your TV. HDMI requires a "handshake" between the source and the receiver which may have been broken.

4. Aug 7, 2007 #4 of 10
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Definately reset the TV also (by unplugging it). In my case (MITS DLP) it works best by plugging the TV back in first, then the Tivo. I think Tivo does a better job of offering its hand than receiving the heandshake.

5. Aug 7, 2007 #5 of 10
    scoobsnax

scoobsnax New Member

Aug 6, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks for these quick and great suggestions. I thought it was fixed, and went to tell my wife, but I came back and no...

I checked the output setting, it was set to 480. I changed it to 720 hybrid and shut down the Tivo unplugged it for a few minutes, with the TV off and unplugged. Then I started up the TV and set it to HDMI, then I pluged in the TV and it came up with the splash screen, but it was corrupt looking. Then eventually after a minute or two of startup the screen goes black and there is no HDMI connection. I checked on the S video connection and it works fine at the point when the HDMI connection goes black. Upon startup the Tivo is set to 720 hybrid now.

I think there is a problem with the Tivo HDMI port. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

6. Aug 7, 2007 #6 of 10
    moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    Did both setups fail? If not swap the working Tivo to the TV with the problem. If it works then it's the Tivo that failed, if not, the TV has failed.

7. Aug 8, 2007 #7 of 10
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    There are other reports of folks having problems with HDMI connections recently too. Since an S-video connection works the component video (YPbPr) connection should work as well. Unless you want to go to the trouble of getting a new TiVo I would probably switch to a component connection (there will be little or no difference in PQ) and whatever audio works best for you, RCA L/R or optical if at all possible.

8. dcvpool

dcvpool New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I am interested in the resolution here. I have two TV's affected. I say TV's because the problem does not seem to be either the source unit or the cable.

After the lighnting strike every HDMI port that had a source plugged in is INOP now, this is 2 on a DLP TV and 1 on a Plasma.

9. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Have you tried rebooting both TiVo as well as your TV's (unplug everything, wait 10-15 seconds and plug them back in)? HDMI requires a handshake that may have been broken.

It doesn't seem likely that a lightning strike would destroy only the HDMI capabilities of any CE equipment...but hey, you never know! :confused:

10. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I have reset the HDMI handshake this way several times. I have found that when I plug the TV back into power first, and let it sit 30 seconds, then plug the Tivo in it works better than doing the Tivo first.