1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighting Strike!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by igirl, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Jul 4, 2018 #1 of 20
    igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Our house was hit a few hours ago and we're finding a number of our electronics have been fried - 70" TV & 2 Tivos among them.

One of them doesn't matter - it was just a Premiere box being used as a cable box only (no Tivo service) - it's totally DOA and doesn't even power on.

The "good" Tivo - Roamio 6 tuner - DOES power on - I had it running on a UPS - however the HDMI out shows nothing - blank - nada. On full power cycle it goes through the visual loading with the green light on and a series of light yellow flashes as the OS loads - it seems like someone is home - but no video out. - EDIT - correction - no HDMI Out - I tested this morning with the RCA video out and it worked. No telling if anything else is out on it as we don't have cable back yet.

Our router is fried too so I can't access it on the network to check if it has a pulse. I'll buy a new router and test tomorrow.

We're not hopeful and resigned to buying new boxes probably - but I would like to see if anyone has any thoughts on salvage or recovery potential?

Can our lifetime subscription be transferred to another box? Found the answer - NO!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. Jul 5, 2018 #2 of 20
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    For the Roamio Pro, you can at least continue to use component output (That's what we're using on ours since our older Onkyo receiver doesn't have HDMI).

Scott

Mikeguy and Teeps like this.
  3. Jul 5, 2018 #3 of 20
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Yeah, I have one of my Pros on HDMI and one on component. There's no video quality difference that I can see.

Mikeguy and Teeps like this.
  4. Jul 5, 2018 #4 of 20
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    When you're ready and know your desired available alternatives (a new TiVo box, Lifetime, annual subscription, a used TiVo box, etc.), recommended that you make a call to TiVo customer support, let them know the situation (emphasizing the lightning strike and the number of your electronics destroyed), how good a TiVo customer your are (length of time as a devoted TiVo customer and number of TiVo devices), and ask what your alternatives are/if there is anything that they could do. People have posted before having been given special deals when lightning has struck (no pun intended).

Sorry to hear of the circumstances--good luck, generally. :)

5. Jul 5, 2018 #5 of 20
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    But OP had a lighting strike (see title), not a lightning strike. ;)

But lightning does appear as a strike of light.

6. Jul 5, 2018 #6 of 20
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    that sucks. Maybe you can use a component to hdmi converter?

7. Jul 5, 2018 #7 of 20
    igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks everyone so far -
    DOH - "lighting" vs lightning - I was clearly still frazzled/in shock when I typed that one! lol

Interesting you're saying no difference between HDMI and component. I thought maybe it was digital vs analog?

Anyway we might still replace the unit going forward. BUT - good suggestion to use a converter back to HDMI! I think I bought one a while back to convert and Apple TV4 HDMI to analog (before we went and got a new HDMI Tuner) - I only have to remember where it went. Since the TV is hanging flat on the wall (cables run through the wall - the single HDMI cable is a better solution. It took a long time to just get one HDMI through there...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Jul 5, 2018 #8 of 20
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty picky about the picture, but back when I still had a TV with component input I saw very little difference between HDMI and component for 1080i feeds. Whether I used the TiVo or Panasonic TV scaler to get to 1080p seemed to make a bigger difference.

9. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Just touching back on this thread from a while ago. Turns out not only did the Tivo lose the ability to phone home, but it will not even record manually (programming like a VCR) - we can't even hit the red record button either so all we have is 6 tuners of 30 minute delay on our brain dead Lifetime box. Not the end of the world as it's just a cable box replacement now anyway. I just thought it was really messed up that it won't record like a VCR - that's not a hardware fault - it's locked out by Tivo that way. :-(

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You should try and get a replacement from TiVo. They been very liberal from reading other posts here.

Just tell them it isn’t working and you’ve tried everything. Don’t mention lightning.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  11. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Even for an out of warranty unit? We purchased the 3 year extended warranty - but it was up before this happened. We could just pack it up and send it in for service but that's paying to ship it and probably paying shipping again to get it back as is - everyone we talked to says it can't be repaired.

Everyone on the phone just tried to sell us a new one at a "special" discounted price. We bought a Roamio Pro w/Lifetime on Ebay for much better than they could offer - better by a huge margin.

Anyway I just don't see them handing out a replacement when they are in the business of hoping customer's product dies so they can sell new ones! Worth a shot though....

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep. It always can help to make out what a good TiVo customer you are, and to be nicely persistent in the call. Some people have reported that the TiVo rep. may start with one replacement $ number and then go down 1 or 2 or 3 times, as the call progresses.

13. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Dream on.

14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Do some searching here--it happens.

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    And just what was your experience, new member?

16. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry for my cynicism. I'm not a new member I just don't post a lot. When i first bought my Tivo equipment about 6 years ago it included 2 Mini's. I worked with Tivo for over a month to get them to work. They could find no solution. So i sent them back but they would not give me a refund because there system said i exceeded there return policy. After multiple calls to customer service. They basically told me to get my money back the quickest way would be to dispute my Credit card in which I did.

My second experience was actually a lightning strike. Which fried my HDMI port on my Premier XL. The only suggestion they had since the warranty expired was to pay full price or buy a box on Weaknees. Unfortunately i just have no faith in there customer service.

17. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I think the point is that TiVo has recently been very liberal on the out of warranty issues. Your experience in the past is, well, in the past. I don't think you should have discouraged the poster based on old experience.

18. pjazz

pjazz New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    I hope the OP has a more positive experience. Please keep us updated.:)

19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    The only other comment I would add is, TiVo seems to be rather strict in the use of the 30-day-return policy (hey, 30 days is 30 days), but has been almost liberal of late, as UCLABB states, in helping a customer replace non-functioning equipment, by giving price breaks. But, like so much in life, YMMV.

20. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

their