Lifetime TV Roamio, reason to keep old non-lifetime Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Jason Reckner, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Jan 9, 2020 #1 of 46
    Jason Reckner

Jason Reckner New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I have just jumped into the TiVo world. Picked up a Roamio and 3 minis from FB used a few weeks ago. Got them all up and running and seems to be a great/cheaper alternative vs. my old Dish Hopper setup.

I took the plunge and purchased another used Roamio w/ Lifetime service (and two more minis) off of eBay. Upgraded it to a 3TB WD Red and transferred all the recordings/passes via TiVo online.

Just called TiVo to turn off the original Roamio. I was wondering if I should KEEP the original Roamio to use it as a loaner for parts, to keep my Lifetime Roamio up and running as long as possible, or is that not really a "thing"? Should I just re-sell it on the used market.

Thoughts?

CopRock likes this.
  2. Jan 9, 2020 #2 of 46
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can keep it running along with the rest of the Tivo devices. You can use it as spare tuners to record, put on another tv, etc. Instead of turning off the Subscription, make it lifetime (all-in) Subscription. Paying monthly or yearly is too much.

Alternatively, you can sell it with lifetime and can gain more than the lifetime alone.

3. Jan 9, 2020 #3 of 46
    Jason Reckner

Jason Reckner New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Where? Putting Lifetime would cost $550. I paid $300 for the 2nd Roamio w/ Lifetime and two minis.

4. Jan 9, 2020 #4 of 46
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Selling it without service would either not sell or get you less. Ebay is the most common place.

5. Jan 9, 2020 #5 of 46
    Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Call TiVo. See if they will offer a cheap (like $100) lifetime upgrade vs just ending service. Tell them you don't need it any more except maybe as a spare. You won't get much money selling a non-lifetime box. The serial number (and lifetime status) is burned into the motherboard but other parts could be spares for your lifetime box.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, the lifetime (or just Tivo service) is linked to that TSN service number.

7. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    I can confirm that $99/$199 retention deal for old Roamio is still available as of this morning

Mikeguy and CopRock like this.
  8. CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Can you expand on $99/$199 [havent heard of this offer]? Is it To upgrade any tivo ?
    I still have an old Series2 hooked up to two DTA boxes in spare bedroom and would love to get a refurbed basic Roamio from Tivo as long as I could transfer the lifetime to the new one [yeah I know probably wouldn't happen] ... Thanks in advance.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo does not sell Roamio models any more, its mostly Bolts and the new Edge.

The $99/$199 is just lifetime service upgrade for those on monthly for a time. For this, you MUST call Tivo. You will not see it on Tivo.com, your account there, etc.

CopRock and kpeters59 like this.
  10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And does TiVo initially offer $199 but then is willing to come down to $99 if negotiated?

CopRock likes this.
  11. Elton Noway

Elton Noway New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    [sigh] I wish that was the case... I've been on the month to month plan for a while now and have recently been contemplating switching to a Tablo. (Mainly because Tablo offers their lifetime plan for $149, whole house streaming... etc etc.) However, in truth I'm lazy and would rather keep the Tivo because I'm familiar with it and not keen on having to learn a new device. So... I called Tivo and selected the billing prompt. I told them I wanted to cancel my account. Obviously the CSR said Tivo would be sorry to see me go and wanted to know if I would consider staying if they were able to make the pricing more attractive. I said Yes. The CSR put me on hold, came back and said the best price they can do on a Lifetime is $199. I asked if they ever had any promos or sales on lower pricing for their lifetime plan. She said No... its never been lower than $199. When I said "No thank you" and told here "the $199 rate was more than I could afford"... She didn't pause, just said okay and cautioned me... I should be aware I need to cancel within the next 8 days or my month to month would rebill for another month! She was very polite, pleasant and professional... but for me anyway... the $199 was a take it or leave it. :(

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Time for a go at TiVo customer support rep. roulette? ;)

unclehonkey likes this.
  13. wbrightfl

wbrightfl Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Orlando,...
    My roamio is pro is approaching 5 years and when I called in to get a lifetime deal the best I was offered was $549.99. I also need to begin the CSR roulette game. $99 is fair at this point, but nothing higher.

14. 53richart

53richart New Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Acworth, GA
    I don't consider $199 to be a bad price for lifetime. If you use it for 5 years, that comes out to $3.32/month. Of course if you can negotiate them down to $99, that is twice as good.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo will let you convert a Premiere to AllIn for $99 or $5/month. A Roamio will be $199.

wbrightfl likes this.
  16. vaquero

vaquero New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I just bought a Roamio OTA and the only option to activate it was $14.99 month, no yearly or lifetime plan. The CSR also told me that all Roamios were both OTA and cable capable, that's why the service was twice as much as the Bolt OTA. Yet, I thought I had read on this forum that the Roamio OTA units might have the cable card slot, but it wasn't functional. The literature (setup guide) which came with my unit clearly says several times "TiVo Roamio OTA DVR" with no mention of cable.

I had planned on paying $69.99 for a year of service just to try out the Tivo experience, but no way I'm paying $14.99 a month for a tryout. Was the CSR being accurate with me?

Thanks.

17. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Sounds like you might have got an old OTA model. When the Roamio OTA first came out (2014) it was $49.99 and 14.99 a month with no other option (at the time the Roamio basic which did OTA or cable was 199.99). I bought one the first day they came out (have since upgraded a few times). The old ones still will only allow a monthly fee. I think the only way to get lifetime on it is to get the package deal (thats how I upgraded). The Roamio OTA never had a 6.99 option. The cable card slot was removed from the OTA (on the bottom there is a spot for the cable card. Take that cover off and you'll see there probably isnt one)

edit: I wonder what the first few numbers of the TSN is on yours? Reason I ask is I looked at my account and my Roamio OTA with All In (that I got as a package) the TSN starts 846-0011 whereas my Original Roamio OTA is 846-0001 (that one can only be on monthly)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020 at 9:08 PM
    vaquero likes this.
  18. vaquero

vaquero New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Thanks for your response. Evidently, I've got one of the old ones. So, the service cost is tied to the machine? Sure makes it complicated for the used market. Of course, that suits Tivo just fine, they'd like for everyone to buy a new unit.

Does the Roamio Basic have a different service price structure from the Roamio OTA? I'm having difficulty trying to understand why the OTA only service would be $6.99 for one machine (Bolt) and $14.99 for another. Isn't it the same service that each is receiving? That would be kind of like saying that Netflix service is $16 month for Sony TV's but $23 for Samsungs.

I bought the Roamio just to try out the Tivo experience. It appears I should have bought a used Bolt. Are all Bolt OTA units subject to the same price structure as other Bolt OTA?

Thanks.

19. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    what is the first 7 digits of the TSN? Its on the back of the machine and would be like 846-0011 (its 16 digits but as I mentioned above I have 2 different Roamios and the first 7 digits are different)

correct

well the monthly for Roamio is 14.99. Most have a yearly or lifetime option except for the old Roamio OTA

Both are 14.99 a month minimum. I know on the Roamio OTA the lifetime was cheaper.
    I dont have a Bolt so I cant comment on the guide difference. I'm running a Roamio and a TivoHD (Series 3...Roamio was series 5)

can you return it?

If you buy a used Roamio you can go month to month if you want to "try it out". New units have a 30 day cancellation policy with Tivo. The Bolt OTA is the only one with the lower monthly fee

vaquero likes this.
  20. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    So looking at the pricing info on tivo.com they mention this in regards to the Roamios

Untitled.jpg

vaquero likes this.