Lifetime subscription question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by brianfuchs, Jan 27, 2012.

1. brianfuchs

brianfuchs New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    While there are a lot of threads asking lifetime subscription questions, I can't find a recent one that answers my question.

I just ordered four Premiere boxes from Amazon. One Elite and three XLs.
    The XLs were going for $251 through Amazon (not a marketplace seller). That's $49 less than full price. The Elite was $449 ($50 less than full price).

MANY years ago, I was a Tivo customer, having purchased a 1st gen DirecTivo with a lifetime subscription. I never dealt directly with Tivo again after buying the lifetime; all dealings were with DirecTV at that point. Tivo probably doesn't even have a record of me, as I was living at a different address at the time.

I mention this because at this point, I believe Tivo would consider me to be a new customer.

Will I be able to get the Multi Service Discount on my new Tivos? Let me make it clear: I'm NOT asking if I'd get a discounted subscription or lifetime rate on all four Premieres, just because I owned a DTivo 10 years ago.
    I'm asking if I be able to get the following Lifetime subscriptions:
    Elite: $499 (full lifetime subscription price)
    XLs: $399 each, via the MSD

The thing that really concerns me is the fine print on the Tivo webpage for MSD. It mentions that Tivos purchased for FULL PRICE may be able to get the MSD discount. Will Tivo try to tell me that because all four units were purchased at a discount, none of them are eligible for MSD, and lifetime subscriptions would cost $499 on each one?? Honestly, I can't imagine that is their intention, but the wording on the website is clear as mud.

I know that Tivo's intent is to offset subsidized hardware - I'm fine with that. I just don't want to be penalized for buying these new units for only $50 less than Tivo sells them for.

EDIT: With regard to my mentioning of subsidizing - after reading the pages a few more times, it looks like Tivo is saying that the $99 Premiers and $299 XLs are by definition subsidized, and require either a 1 year commitment or lifetime subscription. They specifically say that the $499 Elite does NOT require any commitment.

I'm thinking more and more that my concern is misplaced, but I'd still like to hear it from the experts out there.

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The MSD works if you buy the Tivo from Tivo. Not sure it works if you get the Tivo elsewhere. Won't hurt to ask, and you may want to call more than once if you get a "no" the first time. If you call and tell them that you want to buy lifetime for four new boxes I think you have a lot of leaverage for getting MSD on three of them. Heck, I'd even ask if they would give you the discount on all four. Good luck.

3. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    MSD does work if you buy from Best Buy

4. brianfuchs

brianfuchs New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    From the Tivo website:
    (b) When purchasing a TiVo Premiere box from a third party retailer at $99.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere box or $299.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere XL box, you may only subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $19.99 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after one year) or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $499.99.

(ii) When purchasing a TiVo Premiere Elite box from TiVo directly or from a third party retailer at $499.99, you may only subscribe to the TiVo service on a monthly basis for $19.99 a month with no commitment or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $499.99.

Tivo only lists the payment options here.
    It's the bolded parts that bother me. They specifically mention the options if you buy from a non-Tivo vendor at the price they list. It really never mentions what plans are available to people who purchase Premiere units at a price other than the ones listed. It doesn't say you can get a lifetime but it also doesn't say you cannot.

Regarding MSD, this is also from the site:

Subscriptions Eligible for Multi-Service Discount

Discounted TiVo Service Fee. The MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT reduces the $19.99 Monthly TiVo service subscription to $14.99 per month, the $12.95 Monthly TiVo service subscription fee to $9.95 per month, and the $499.99 Product Lifetime service subscription to $399.99, while in compliance with all applicable Initial Qualification and General Eligibility requirements on new eligible TiVo service subscription activations (not existing TiVo service subscriptions). Only new full-priced $19.99 or $12.95 monthly TiVo service or Product Lifetime service subscription activations are eligible to receive the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.
    TiVo Service Cancellation. If the registered account holder's Qualifying Subscription is cancelled or otherwise becomes ineligible, the oldest eligible TiVo service subscription on the account shall become the registered account holder's Qualifying Subscription and will no longer receive the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT. TiVo service subscriptions currently receiving the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT shall continue to receive the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT as long as there remains a Qualifying Subscription in accordance with these terms on the same TiVo customer account.

TIVO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO IMMEDIATELY SUSPEND OR TERMINATE YOUR TIVO SERVICE SUBSCRIPTION AND/OR YOUR USE OF THE MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT IF YOU GIVE TIVO INACCURATE OR INCOMPLETE INFORMATION OR IF YOU ARE NO LONGER ELIGIBLE FOR THE MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.

Changes To The MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT. TiVo reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to increase or decrease the amount of the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT or discontinue the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT or change any of the terms, restrictions, or conditions for eligibility for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT at any time, for any reason. If you are dissatisfied with any such changes to the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT and/or the TiVo service, you may immediately cancel your use of the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT and/or the TiVo service (subject to any applicable early termination fees, if any) as provided in the TiVo Service Agreement or the terms of your TiVo Payment Plan, as applicable.

I don't see anything here that precludes any Premiere purchased anywhere at any price from MSD.

5. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Do you have an account with TiVo.com? If so, I would try to activate the new boxes there and see if you get the MSD or not.

6. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    At the end of Nov, I bought 2 Premieres directly from TIVO for $50 each. Black Friday sale pricing. They gave me 30 days to decide on Lifetime. I got two Lifetimes just as the 30 days was expiring, (1) for $499 and (1) for $399. They did not count my time with my Series 2 (like 10 years) with DirecTV toward the MSD. But they had record of it. THey knew I was an old DirecTIVO customer for 10 years. They said this did not count as an old customer. If they had counted me as an "old" customer I'd have saved $100 on the first Lifetime. But the discounted price on the Premieres did not count against the MSD. They also promised me back the first month service fee that they took when I initially bought the Premieres if I decided to go with Lifetime. They did give me that credit ($35) after I paid for the Lifetimes but only after a few weeks and after I badgered them a bit to do it. I have to say, that left me with a bad taste. But the product is great. No complaints there.

To me, the basic Premiere is the way to go. Couple this with a "wired" network for streaming ( I'd say this is important) , and upgrade your own hard drive space as needed.
    The only reason I see for an Elite is to have 4 tuners in one box.

7. brianfuchs

brianfuchs New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Thank you - you addressed every single question I had. Your case sounds extremely similar as well. The one thing I can't figure out is why Tivo would only give you 30 days to opt for a lifetime sub (other than to try to forcefully nudge you). I mean, why would they care when you opt for the subscription? Let's say you have paid monthly for two years - Tivo doesn't want you to pay $500 for a lifetime subscription on top of the several hundred you've already paid in monthly fees? Makes no business sense. Personally, I think the 30-day thing was a bluff.

As for my choice to go with the upper end stuff, I've currently got three fully h****d Series 2 D-Tivos. I had a great time messing with them, and they served me well. I will miss them, and will miss TivoWebPlus and all the other great stuff. But I simply don't have the time these days to do the h**k stuff or voiding warranties, and I don't even want to mess with external drives as easy as that is. Because I got each box for a $50 discount, I got Square Trade warranties on each "for free". But I reserve the right to rip the lid off those boxes the day the warranties run out :p

8. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I would keep the elite and ditch the xls for premieres. Once wired in with a wired connection...you don't need that much space on each DVR.especially with the multi room streaming. Save the money for something else.

either way..welcome to TiVo family. I got 2 premieres almost 2 years ago and now couldn't live without it. When I goto friends house I cringe when I use their cable dvrs.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I believe they put the poster down for a one year commitment and you have 30 days to cancel. That is why the poster got 30 days to decide on lifetime. You either commit to 1 year or get lifetime. If you commit to 1 year, you would have to wait until the end of that term to get lifetime.