Lifetime Subs.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by lower, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 10
    lower

lower New Member

Mar 22, 2003

Advertisements

I've made the leap from Monthly subs to lifetime subs. :)

Fingers crossed Tivo lasts another 20 months (at least) :up:

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 10
    dribble

dribble New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    Bedford
    Well, at least you've made the move.

I know some work colleagues that have paid out over £240 in monthly payments before making the move over to lifetime subs. Ummm... :D

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 10
    Furball

Furball Totally TiVo

Dec 6, 2001
    Hampshire...
    Been on life time since day 1, just subbed my mums new e-bay machine on a LT sub.
    Theres always loads of rumours floating about that they will pull out of the UK but there is still soooo much interest in TiVo over here,also after my chat to the CS the other day to LT the machine he did say that TiVo were aware of the hugh E-bay presence that TiVo was having and the prices the machines were going for :eek:

Its interesting to look at the second hand value of a TiVo now compared to other electronic goods :eek:

Current values seem to be in the order of £120-£200 for a machine without LT sub, this would appear crazy for a bit of kit that could be +5yrs old and originally cost £400

If I was to sell my DV video camera today which is 5 yrs old I wouldnt expect to get more than a few hundred pounds if I was lucky , five years ago it cost me over a grand :eek:

So if you were to transpose that to TiVo we should be paying at most £80 tops for a unit :confused:

One thing that did amuse me while looking for a TiVo on e-bay was the fact a standard LT machine would fetch +£50 more than one without for some weird reason :confused:

Fur

4. Jan 7, 2006 #4 of 10
    andyjenkins

andyjenkins New Member

Jul 29, 2001
    England, UK
    I've been on a monthly sub since picking up my shiny TiVo from Comet all those months ago.

How many months?

About 54 !!! Thats .. 54 *£10 = I don't want to know !!!

5. Jan 7, 2006 #5 of 10
    Craig B

Craig B Member

Aug 11, 2001
    London

Advertisements

I've had my Tivo for at least 4 years and got lifetime from the start. Obviously I am happy with my decision but even now if I bought one I would get a lifetime. Tivo earn much more than it costs to provide the service so they would be mad to stop it, not even considering the bad will if they pulled out.

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 10
    SteveA

SteveA New Member

Oct 30, 2000
    UK
    Ironically the future of the TiVo service in the UK probably depends on people NOT opting for, or upgrading to Lifetime.

7. Jan 9, 2006 #7 of 10
    mk-donald

mk-donald New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Milton...
    Yes I'm pleased I plumped for lifetime subscriptions from Day 1.

Dec 2002 £199 * 2 (self and Xmas present for folks) = £398
    versus 37 months x £10 * 2 = £740 =

£342 saved so far between us! Which more than paid for the two Tivos which cost £99.99 each - and even for the 3 x Samsung 120GB hard-disk drives installed in them since.

If you are convinced you're keeping the Tivo and that it will continue to work physically, then why not pay for a lifetime subscription AS LONG AS you pay by Credit Card.

Your credit card company is equally liable for the provision of the lifetime service to you as Tivo UK is. So if Tivo UK give up providing the service and told you to go whistle and/or go bust, you would look to your Credit Card company for a refund of the unexpired portion of your lifetime subscription (however that's computed!).

If you want an in-depth briefing read the OFT's 4 page 2000 Adobe PDF 400KB document - 'Equal Liability - Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974' OFT 303 at
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/DB431C9A-F28B-488A-B4C7-58C51C045169/0/oft303.pdf

And finally for fuller OFT guidance about IT Contracts at a distance - eg Services which were bought over the phone/Internet rather than in person - see their OFT 672 a 77 page 600KB booklet which is very fresh as only published December 2005 at:
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/F0F8ED8F-CEF0-4C06-A500-F7C915DEEBD7/0/oft672.pdf

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 10
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    But surely, as soon as the company stop the service, that's the 'lifetime' of the unit? Or are you proposing that a company continue to provide a service, even at a loss, forever?

I can see your point, but I can also see the POV :)

9. andyjenkins

andyjenkins New Member

Jul 29, 2001
    England, UK
    Hello fellow MK Citizen ;o)
    Interesting link there Donald .. will keep that for some more indepth reading at a later stage.

Have to admit, I'm feeling inclined to opt for the Lifetime sub ... but as each month passes, I'm loosing faith that TiVo will continue to keep the service going - even if they are making money on us monthly subscribers as of today.

And of course - there's the other side of the coin. Should the day ever happen, where rather than TiVo cease the UK service - they instead opt to release a new unit to the UK Market (eg, for the Sky HD Launch would be nice), then you lot will have to get in line behind me to get one -as its a guaranteed purchase in our household (yes, we love TiVo *that* much!). At that point, a lifetime sub, on a Series 1 will be worth next to nothing - even to the uneducated on eBay for example ;o)

10. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    In the US when they introduced the Series 2, TiVo offered a reduced price deal to S1 owners with lifetime subs on a lifetime sub for the new S2 box - so your lifetime sub might be worth more than you think :)