lifetime or multiple room discount

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by zedhawk, Dec 29, 2005.

1. zedhawk

zedhawk New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Ok I got another tivo for xmas and heres my question. I have a tivo in the house that has the lifetime subsciption on it already. Now for my 2nd Tivo should I pay the 299 for the lifetime or just hook it up with the multiple room discount. I figured it out as in the long run to be cheaper for the the 2nd unit to be on the monthly plan. Heres why
    299 for lifetime
    6.95 month x 43 months = 298.85
    so i guess for the multiple room discount you would need to have the tivo for 4.5 years for it to be worth the lifetime price. i mean whats the average lifespan on tivos. cause if i pay for the lifetime and it breaks then tivo makes out on the lifetime when u have multiple tivos in your house

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I always go lifetime - I have on all 5 units I've owned, and I currently own 2. Because I'm the sort who tends to upgrade to newer units as they come out. So I end up reselling my old boxes, and with lifetime they're worth a LOT more - like $300 more. ;-) I've come out ahead. Between getting a couple of years of use out of a box and then reselling it for a few hundred dollars, it is FAR better than paying monthly - even the reduced rate. And I don't have the bother of monthly payments.

I even had one box get corrupted and I just used InstantCake to re-image the drives. Still came out ahead.

3. markandjenn

markandjenn Member

Sep 21, 2003
    South Florida
    You did not mention if your first unit has lifetime on it. If so, then your logic is sound, but if your first unit does not have lifetime on it then, while $299 is worth 43 months of a $6.95 subscription, your original unit's subscription will go from $12.95 to $6.95, so the breakeven is 23 months ($299/12.95), as you would then be paying $6.95 per month for the original.

Answer: If you aleady have lifetime on the first unit, then I would go monthly. If you don't have lifetime on the first unit, go Lifetime.

4. PeteEMT

PeteEMT NF2 Guy

Jul 24, 2003
    Unadilla, NY
    He said it has lifetime right in the part you qouted :)

I'm on the fence with this myself, lifetime does increase the resale value though.

5. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Wait --

When you have two TiVos on monthly, do you pay $19.90 per month ($12.95 for the first plus $6.95 for the second), or $13.90 per month ( $6.95 plus $6.95)?

The terms aren't exactly clear:
    I had understood the discount to apply to the second through sixth boxes, but you'd continue to pay the full$12.95 on the first box.

markandjenn's comment above seems to convey another understanding.

6. markandjenn

markandjenn Member

Sep 21, 2003
    South Florida
    Oops. My bad. I read it twice and missed it both times. My eyes must be going.

Lifetime on the first does make the second, third, fourth and fifth TiVo boxes eligble for the multi-service discount. I have three "active" boxes. One with lifetime and two with monthly. The two with monthly cost $6.95 each.

7. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Lifetime subscription on the first box, or monthly subscription on the first box, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th boxes are eligible for the multi-service discount it doesn't have to be lifetime subscription on the first box to qualify or multi discount.