Lifetime for REALLY old subscribers...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by peet, Sep 17, 2006.

1. peet

peet New Member

Mar 24, 2005

Advertisements

So I bought my first Tivo in 1999. I got a lifetime sub right away. Great - loved it.

Fast forward a few years, I couldn't get along with cable and their antics, I jumped ship to DTV. Everything was grand, but Directv wanted me to buy new boxes (expected) and - shocker - pay for another lifetime sub for Tivo.

So at this point, I'm now out over $500 on 'lifetime' subscriptions.

Fast forward another six years, Directv is right back where cable used to be - in quality and attitude, time to bail and go back to cable.

I get a local cable DVR - H O R R I B L E - but I put up with it knowing full well that the S3 is around the corner. Now the $200 lifetime sub 'transfer' fee.

Ugh.

So the question is this - I've now bought two lifetime subs, granted one from Tivo and the other from DTV - but two nontheless.

I want to buy two S3's - but cannot transfer one sub and pay $20/month for the other - or even $7. Any experience in this situation from the field?

Do you think I can get two lifetime transfers for $200? I can see paying that, but not even $400. This is nutty.

Between the cost of equipment, "lifetime" subscriptions (whatever) and regular service subscriptions I think i may have been able to buy directv ;)

thanks all for any advice you may have!

P

2. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Your 1999 Tivo (if its a Series 1) may be able to have it's lifetime transferred for free, but I don't know the cutoff date.

I don't believe DTV Tivo lifetime subs are transferrable.

3. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    If you still have your original TiVo with lifetime, you may be within the grandfathered group of subscriptions and eligible for a free transfer of lifetime from that unit. If you've disposed of that box, then this obviously doesn't apply. If your DTV unit is then eligible for lifetime transfer at the $199 VIP price, that would get you where you want to be. That's a lot of ifs, though.

4. peet

peet New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    LOL - yea, a lot of If's - but I'm hoping someone in customer service can make that happen.

Tivo, in all these 7 years, has gotten about 100+ sales from our referrals (not the kind where you give your email address - just friends learning from our pioneering efforts).

Thanks for the quick feedback... anyone at Tivo reading this and can actually confirm my 'desire' to get two units for one fee? I am in the grandfathered class for the one unit for sure.

PM me if that is the case (and as not to start a riot).

Thanksa gain!

5. Gregor

Feb 18, 2002

Advertisements

No offense but I'm curious why DTV customers are thinking they are entitled to the Series 1 offer?

Weren't Series 1 boxes all standalones and the original DTV boxes called something else?

6. peet

peet New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Gregor if you actually read my post, you'd see that I have a Series 1 Cable, and a series 1 DTV. I bought TWO lifetime subs.

As far as dtv boxes being called something else, they were not. They were always called Tivos - until the spat between tivo and dtv which made them Directv DVRs.

So as I was saying, I bought lifetime from Tivo in 99, I bought lifetime from DTV a few years later.

7. Gregor

Feb 18, 2002
    Peet, I read your post, and if you read my first reply, you'd see that I know you have both.

But if you bought lifetime from DTV as you said, why are you trying to get TiVo to honor that?

Just genuinely curious....

8. peet

peet New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Gotcha.

Well, in case someone from Tivo is listening... the answer to that question is simple..

I licensed a Tivo product, not a directv product. Even when sold by DTV, it was a Tivo product. As far as a consumer was aware (me) I was paying my $300 to DTV, who was keeping a $Ben and passing the $200 to Tivo (which is what lifetimes cost at that time). No one said otherwise.

It really wasn't until late in the relatinoship that the tivo DTV chasm developed - and at that time it was clear that the consumer got nothing on the deal.

So hopefully that makes sense on the subscriptions.

On the receiver front, the Tivo devices had a premium all their own as well. I'm sure there are many here that forked over $1000 for a Hughes 250 - myself included. This was at a time when a standard HD receiver for Directv was between $200-400. Prior to that, the straight series1 DTV receiver was $100-200, the Tivo one $400. So on that side, I definitely paid my dues - of which, I can only assume Tivo got a good chunk of.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to defend myself here, but since you asked, really make the case that it may make sense in situations like mine to "throw the consumer a bone" and do a 2 for $200 transfer.

And again, for the tivo listener in the crowd... PLEASE?! :D

9. peet

peet New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Oh yea...

Gregor - sorry for making that snap remark, I glossed over who answered first.

best,
    P

10. Gregor

Feb 18, 2002
    No problem, peet, and thanks for the background. I asked this question on a couple other threads and just got a rant about how Tivo "owed" this to DTV customers.

Nice to get a rational response :)

11. ARC

ARC New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Lago Vista
    I am really confused after reading the review up here by MegaZone - he says that the new S3 will not work with satellite, which I take to mean DirecTV.
    Is this accurate!!!???
    Never mind - I searched the FAQ and discovered this:
    Does the Series3 HD DVR work with satellite programming?
    No. Series3 HD box provides access to HD Digital Cable, analog cable and ATSC over-the-air signals. Satellite programming is not supported.

why in the world does it not support DirecTV ?? I'm heartbroke! (and going to have to refuse the box when it arrives in a few days!!!)

12. TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes, the Series 3 is a cable product. It takes cablecards. This has been crystal clear for months.

13. ARC

ARC New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Lago Vista
    Only if you have known about it for months essayy, I reviewed the "VIP" email from TiVo I received just last week, the first I had heard about the S3, and guess what - they don't mention the lack of support for satellite!

And as far as the cable card crap - I've had a 65" Mits HD that accomodates cable cards which can be ignored if you have off-air, so I don't worry about it. Figured it was the same case with the S3. Go figure.

14. ARC

ARC New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Lago Vista
    I mean, has TiVo ever marketed a recorder that wouldn't work with a satellite receiver? Until this moment it was not something conceiveable to me - an insane notion. sheesh.

15. TostitoBandito

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's a TV. You can have other input sources there. Unless you are doing OTA with the Tivo, the input must go through the cablecards which means you need to be using cable.

16. ctakim

ctakim ctakim

May 7, 2006
    So I'm 95 years old with a Series 2 Tivo DVR and I get anginal chest pains when I walk 10 ft to check the LEDs on the front of my unit. My cardiologist says I can proably live for 1.5 to 2 more years if I get a quadruple bypass, but I have about a 45% mortality rate for the operation according to my cardiac surgeon. So my question is, do I go for the lifetime transfer or do I stick with a monthly fee?

Thanks in advance, youngsters!

17. TostitoBandito

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    They've never made a product which uses cablecards before so your assumption is correct. I don't know a lot about the satellite issue since I don't use satellite, but I've heard the issue stems from the fact that the satellite companies have basically refused to allow Tivo into their markets. It's not surprising that Tivo didn't make an effort to support them here.

18. colleenp

colleenp New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Where did you get information on the grand-fathered original units? I called Tivo and they told me that all units cost $199 to transfer.

19. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Any unit lifetimed prior to Jan 20th 2000 is eligible for a one-time transfer of service to a new unit for free. This stems from the early confusion regarding person's vs unit's lifetime. I'd have to poke around here to find the exact reference though. There is a code posted somewhere here that you can reference if the CSR doesn't know about it. I would just nicely ask the CSR to speak to his/her manager regarding 'grandfathered lifetimes'.

20. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Grandfather transfer: The one-time "Grandfather transfer" (for people who purchased Product Lifetime on or before January 21, 2000 [as in, more than six years ago], and who have not already used their one-time transfer) is still allowed and will also be honored for future hardware releases from TiVo, such as the Series3. If you have any trouble when you call, please mention KDB code 09-07-04 to the agent.