Lifetime dvr who only have Tivos respond!!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Billy Bob Boy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1 of 19
    Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Somboby said to me (No Names) That when D* switches to Mpeg 4 and your dvr(directivo) no longer works with D* That They will not replace the dvr with one that works or refund the lifetime service. What do you think. Perhaps they will try and not do one of the two but what will be the end result. Mabye they will send out a new version that will start us rebooting again :rolleyes: When I paid my 250 LIFETIME service There were no r15 or hr20. They call it dvr service fine either make my dvr work,The one i have Tivo or replace it with one that works or give me back my lifetime money. D* Made a fatal error when the changed the dvr fee to the account. Cause by now all or most of those S1 boxes are long gone and this would not be an issue.

To the gentleman who said D* wont accomodate The liftime subs w only tivo I say I will be looking in my magazines for one of those class action deelies or I may get one in the mail. I may Have to pay for the crappy hr20 now but will be seeing 100-200 credit on my D* account after suit ;) ;) ;) Or I will just leave D* in which case they lose like 80 a month x 12 Whoa 960 bucks. I figure I am good for about another 20 years Whoa thats close to like 20,000 per say 1 million subs lost At least :eek:

Remember There are many out there that WILL just Leave when tivo is not supported So it is in D* best interest to keep as many subs as possible Now I have 2 Directivo dvrs on my account 2 free hr20s are for sure worth it vs losing another sub. We will see. I reall hope Liberty is a smart company and will see that if they kill 4 million dvrs they will lose a SH*TLOAD Of money.

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 19
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    And you heard this where?

It will be several years before the current MPEG2 standard defintion channels are converted to MPEG4 (or whatever compression scheme is used then), so this is hardly an issue to be worrying about today.

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 19
    Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    I would rather not say who told me this. I hope you are right. I hope to use my sd tivo for many years to come. Hd just dosent do it for me.

4. Aug 4, 2007 #4 of 19
    samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Considering that even now you can get your DTiVo replaced with DirecTV DVR for free (if you call customer retention), I can't see why they wouldn't do it years from now if they do switch to MPEG4.

5. Aug 4, 2007 #5 of 19
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    That someone would be me... via PM.

That is not what you asked... (see PM quote above).
    You asked if you would get a REFUND for lifetime... not if the lifetime service would continue

When you paid that 250 Lifetime... there was no HR10-250 or Series 2 DTiVo's either... but they did carry over to those... and instead of the original concept of the LIFETIME service... was for a SINGLE BOX, not for an entire ACCOUNT of boxes, which it ended up covering.... I think you got a HECK of a lot more out of the liftetime amount.... even compared to those on SA Lifetimes.

Before you spend your money on your Class Action deally...... .be sure you know what you are getting into... and make sure you have all your facts straight...

And make sure you ask the CORRECT question, and don't interpret an answer for a different question... to be the answer for the one you really wanted to know.

The truth of the matter is: if you would have asked.
    If you activate a DVR+ unit while you still have your LIFETIME active on your account... you will still get LIFETIME coverage for that unit... that hasn't change.

So next time you ask me a question via PM... be sure you ask the question you want to ask... there isn't anything to hide... and frankly... in all honest.. don't bother PMing me... just ask out here in the public forum..

And BTW... where did you get the number that there are over 1 Million LIFETIME subscriptions out there active on DirecTV coverage?

6. Aug 4, 2007 #6 of 19
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The HR10-250 will continue to work fine for years to come. It will not receive the mpeg-4 channels but that does not keep it from working.
    If you currently have a HR10-250 you can currently get a HR20 for the cost of shipping (if you find the right CSR) and a new commitment. Why would you expect lifetime service to be refunded? Lifetime service applies to all DVRs on your account even if they are not TiVo.

Good luck with a class action suit. What harm have you suffered?

7. Aug 4, 2007 #7 of 19
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    It is even less restrictive than that. You can complete stop your programming and reopen your account on the same account and you will get lifetime.

From the Customer Agreement http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=P400042

8. Aug 5, 2007 #8 of 19
    Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Ok forget lifetime, forget everything so far. When my Directivos no longer work I wll follow tivo. This sub forum will go as well. If there are no directivos working I guess there is no need for Directv w tivo :rolleyes: I am hoping this thread is moot and tivo reups with D* Or They will lose a massive amount of subs all at once should they stop supporting Directivos. I am Hoping to be LMAO At the ones who posted in this forum putting down tivo and Praising Directv dvrs.. "IF" D* Goes the other way and develops a mpeg 4 tivo and its the r15 andhr20 which go. Or Perhaps we will all get along and both platforms will be working side by side. What ever happens i will have a tivo.

IMO D* will do what it can to keep Tivo and Directv dvr subs as losing either is a major loss to the company. But I will say there are more Directivos out there running than Directv dvr. At least at the present. Directivos have been around allot longer than the directv dvrs. Right now thanx to Circuit City there are even more directivos coming into service.

I think My Directivo Lifetime service( Yeh thats what i call it Tuff turkey D* can call it what they like, When I got it thats what it was :rolleyes: ) Is in good shape.

For Now

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 19
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I'm pretty sure the lifetime service is considered to be the lifetime of the DVR itself, not your lifetime. It will sure be horrible to have to pay the monthly DVR fee to DIRECTV. I think it's $5.99/month or so. You'll have to get a 2nd or 3rd job to pay for it. :rolleyes:

10. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    That is the way it was for the original lifetime contracts... they were tied to the exact receiver....

Then when they got moved to DirecTV, they got tagged to the account, not just the specific receiver.

11. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Boy all you ever do on this forum is post false information. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: First that Directv dvrs are better than tivo and now this. And you wonder why I am Pissed at you ;)What will you say next that the hr20 can record 5 shows at once. It has 6 live buffers and it scratches your butt. I cant wait for your next pearl of fact.

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    What a complete and utter waste of time and space this Thread is.....

Lifetime Service was originally tied to the DVR unit, but when Directv switched them over it went to the Account.

As ebonovic stated, and many will tell you this:

So you have got more than what you paid for. Not only did you get to change the Lifetime over to many units instead of just One, but you have been able to upgrade your units over the Years.

Its alot like Tivo's own "Lifetime" Service, and yet you are not bitc**ng about that are you?

So lets examing your workings:

Just leave Directv and stop moaning about it. I do not really think Directv is going to miss your $80.00 a Month. As for being good for another 20 years, I doubt it since you are piss**g and moaning about it now.

As for the Million Subs........ Good Luck :D One last quote:

Go and get Cable then, Tivo, pay large amounts of Money and be happy.

13. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    wolflord11 -

I don't like D* and even I agree with the logic you presented.

However, paying $80 bucks to any company for a handful of channels.... IMHO is a waste of time and money. So, telling the OP to go to cable is just as bad as staying with D*.

14. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yes I agree, paying $80 for a handful of channels does not sound right. My whole Directv Bill is about $80.00 a Month for the Total Choice Plus Package (No Longer Available) DVR Fee, Stars, Showtime and HBO, 3 DVR's, One Standard Receiver.

So in my case, I cannot complain.

Why I told the OP to go to Cable is this reply from them:

So when the OP's Directv/Tivo no longer work, he will be following Tivo.... meaning the Series 3, Cable Service, etc etc.

Maybe the OP should look at the Cost for them to switch to Cable, change over the setup they have, DVR's etc etc. The Commitment, then the Tivo fees on top of it all......

Maybe if the OP did that, they may not be bit**ing so much about Directv :D

15. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Well, I think the OP could find more legitimate reasons to b*** about D* than this. I think he's received good value for his initial investment and will continue to do so, if he does not jump ship.

If he finds value in the $80 he is spending per month then that's cool but as far as DVR fees go.... he's got it made.

16. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Yeh! Who am I kidding! I am not going anywhere. When Mpeg 4 is fully out i will have whatever box will work. It will suck But that is the way The Directivo crumbles(or perhaps not we may see a series 3 directivo yet). I will have a free one(hr20) I can bet you any amount of money on that one. I am Out of commitment now :up: (if there is a S3 directivo I wont get a free one but will get one no matter what)

And about the lifetime I have gotten My moneys worth. I am just Pissed at the prospect of possibly Not having Tivo anymore. I have plenty of time before this will happen. I am sure my SD directivo will work for a while :up:

17. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yes the SD Directv/Tivos will still work for some time. Any SD Receiver will also. Think about it, if Directv did away with SD all together it is going to take some time, as they will need to replace nearly every Standard Receiver out there... a costly upgrade.

18. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    very costly. How many SD units are still out there. Tivos, directvdvrs, ultimate Tv. Many of these people will choose to leave D* Other than Use The Hr20. Making several million Dvrs useless in one swoop will effect D* In a profound way. This change will come slowly. But My big question is. Can Mpg 4 and mpeg 2 work side by side? Can they still broadcast mpeg 2 from the old sats and broadcast mpeg 4 from the HD sats. That way Only the HD customers are affected by the change. Or is this the plan anyway. SD Directivos just cant record the HD Channels and At the present arent the channels being broad cast in SD and HD.? If this is the case Only The hr10-250 will be rendered useless not my Hughes Tivo!

19. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    I beleive the plan is to eventually broadcast all HD Channels in Mpeg4, but all other Channels as they are now. And Yes, SD and HD can work side by side.

Right now, all HD is Mpeg2. Once they switch to Mpeg4, this still only effects HD Channels.

The HR10's will still pick up and record SD Channels. And all other Receivers still pick up the same programming.