Life Unexpected "Pilot" 1/18 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Neenahboy, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA

Advertisements

This show has a lot of potential. Really enjoyed the dynamic between the characters as a whole, though I think Cate's boyfriend would function better solely as her co-host. It's clear where they're taking the whole Nate-Cate thing (even if they've dismissed it as a mistake for the time being), and I don't look forward to the manufactured tension when they inevitably break up her and Ryan.

A lot of reviews called this the next Gilmore Girls, and I can certainly see similarities. Not sure if the banter is all the way there yet, though I'm willing to give it a chance. The whole constant soundtrack thing is going to get annoying pretty fast, though.

2. Neenahboy

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    No one? Really?

3. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I watched it but didn't have a strong opinion, good or bad. Just kinda meh... Not really my type of show I guess. Shiri Appleby is easy on the eyes for sure.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    ...and that pretty much killed any chance I'd want to check this one out.

:)

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA

Advertisements

I thought it was pretty good for what it is. It has potential.

6. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I thought it was touching, and very well written.

The dialogue is adult and clever; by that I mean it had a purpose, it was not just a trick to provide exposition. You know the kind: sometimes in the pilot, several characters drone on to help provide some of the backstory, a why-we-are-where-we-are narration that seems out of place. Not here: when Lux is explaining what she is doing, she is actually explaining it to her bio-Dad who is meeting her for the first time.

Both the viewer and the Nate get up to speed at the same time. It makes sense, and moves the story along crisply.

Brittany Robertson as Lux is sweet, and refreshing. She is a very young looking girl, although imdb has her at 19. She easily holds her own with the adult actors around her. Her facial expressions are a delight... She can break my heart with a slump of her shoulders, and a subtle downcast look in her eyes. Those same eyes can light up the screen when Lux gets good news.

I'd watch it for her work, but the rest of the cast seems genuinely likeable, too. I encourage folks to give it a try. The pilot sets the stage well. If the following episodes keep the standard, we have a good show on our hands.

7. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Finally got around to watching this and I really enjoyed it. I figured I would as I was a fan of Gilmore Girls and Everwood both of which I think this show draws elements from. I was also a huge fan of Roswell; it's about time Shiri Appleby got a lead in another series.

I thought it was funny that the judge dismissed the 'emancipation proclamation' (I don't remember what it was called) with a reason that the signatures weren't notorized nor witnessed. Yet the people who signed the form are standing right there in the courtroom. And when it's said they're both the birth parents, the judge believes it with no further proof needed and immediately bestows custody of the girl to them.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Aww, gee, and I'm sure everyone was looking forward to your contributions to the episode threads.

Oh, wait. I'm talking about Alfer here. Sorry, what was I thinking? When has watching the show stopped him? :D

9. Neenahboy

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    BTW, she looked really familiar, and it bugged me for the longest time (I usually try to figure it out on my own instead of consulting IMDb) before I checked and realized she was the oldest daughter in Dan in Real Life.

10. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I remember her from that, but she really caught my attention in an episode of Law & Order CI. She played fairly young in that, too.

11. Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
    Ok, I have been watching this one from the beginning and decided to chime in now. Generally, these type of shows are not my thing but I wanted to try it out as I liked the premise. I think this is an above average show for me but doesn't have a "wow" factor. I will keep watching it. Last nights episode was really good compared to other episodes.

12. Neenahboy

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My problem with it is that it doesn't know how to use drama properly. Every week, there's a plot point that triggers a "OMG, the world is ending, I'm cutting Person X out of my life forever!" or "OMG, the past is being dragged up again...why can't I get over it?!" plot line. I simply don't understand why it has to be all or nothing with these types of shows.

And I have to say, for a former foster kid Lux sure is an entitled little *****.

13. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm still watching this show, even though the drama sometimes goes way overboard, even for a veteran soap watcher like me.

Ryan (played by Kerr Smith) ought to realize that he'll never fit in, because his first name is two syllables and everyone else's is just one -- Cate. Baze. Lux. Bug. :D Jones would've had a shot if he wasn't such a d**ch*

14. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I've been watching too and I just want to smack Lux around. She's got to get over herself.

15. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I guess they changed the time of the show because it got bumped off my TiVo. I watched it, and enjoyed it, but agree everything is super over dramatic and the last line of every show felt like a cheesy hallmark card. I couldn't stand Lux's friends though.

16. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    After watching the first few episodes I've been saving them up for summer viewing. It did move to 8pm a few weeks back. I only noticed this after one episode had been unexpectedly recorded from analog cable instead of in HD because Chuck and House were in the way.

17. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
  18. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    While those are possible, and maybe a little creepy, I think Baze's Dad is simply too caught up in enforcing a rule from the office.

We've seen Baze's Dad be too rigid about his expectations toward his son, and when Baze rebels, Dad becomes even more inflexible. This time, however, the expectation involves others as well---the entire company. He may be mentally panicking, trying to think through all the consequences if the Baze-Emma relationship continues.

He'll come around.

19. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I canceled my SP. I wasn't in love with the show in season 1 but it was enjoyably watchable when nothing else was available. Then season 2 started and it became painful to watch. I stopped watching after the camping trip.

So something interesting finally came out of the Emma/Baze story line? I had a feeling that Baze's dad was somehow involved. Emma kept talking about her being involved with an unavailable man (Let's call him Mr. X). She brings a gay man as a date to some retreat so I assumed that the Mr. X knew about Emma's gay friend and was okay with it since the gay man was obviously not a threat to Mr X. The writing kind of points you towards thinking Baze's dad is Mr X.

Is Lux and the teacher still in that plot that feels like an after school special? Lux's friend who was covering it up has the most to lose IMO so I felt bad for her. Has it been pulled into the light yet? Honestly I was watching only hoping to see Baze or Ryan kick the **** out of the teacher.

20. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Well, you called it... at least the first part. My hat's off to you. But I put it back on again because the the weather around Lake Michigan is bitterly cold today.

However, the Grandpa-Baze-Emma thing... I still think it's mildly creepy.