Life Span

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by reidjr, Apr 24, 2008.

1. reidjr

reidjr New Member

Nov 10, 2006

Advertisements

What is the avg life span of a tivo.

2. weaknees

weaknees Active Member

May 11, 2001
    Los Angeles
    In our experience, the hard drive is the first part to fail. This makes sense since it's spinning 24/7. General life span of that part is 3 to 5 years. Replacing it is very easy.

Beyond that, fans do fail (but are easily swapped).

Next, power supplies can fail - but that usually takes many more years in the absence of a strong power surge or lightning hit.

Finally, motherboards do fail, but as they're solid state, that's extremely rare.

3. webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    My parents have a tivo that has been in operation since 1999. I think the Hard Drive is the only that that has been replaced on it.

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    As suggested above, you should get 3-5 years on the built-in hard drive so long as the box gets enough ventilation. Storing the the TiVo in a tighly enclosed space with little ventilation, thereby increasing temperatures, could shorten the lifespan.

5. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...

Advertisements

I've got six TiVos with a total life now of about 17 years and have never had anything fail on any of them. And I have not used anything special regarding power supply or temperature control. Very reliable boxes, at least for me.

6. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    My Series 1 is 8 years old but I've replaced the hard drive a few times for upgrade purposes. Other than that there have been no problems.

7. nmiller855

nmiller855 Active Member

Sep 26, 2000
    East of...
    I'm using my stock original Series 1 that I won in an essay contest in September 2000.
    I've bought several others & the only thing I have had go out was the second tuner on one of my combination units. I didn't get it fixed. I just used the one tuner as a back up for scheduling conflicts.

8. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    The lifespan of the Tivo > technological advances.

You'll probably upgrade before your Tivo dies.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I've never had a Tivo die..
    My 2000 Series 1 Sony is still with the friends I sold it to
    My S2 favored child is living with a friend with it's year free
    I retired Mom's S2 when I moved lifetime to my S3, it's not running, but it has no service, it didn't die
    My S3 is happy
    My TivoHD is happy