Life on Mars

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Church AV Guy, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    What ever happened to the BBC broadcasts of the second season of Life on Mars? I was expecting it this summer. Did it happen? Did I miss it? My old SP never picked up any of them, and I totally forgot about the show until the actor turned up on Doctor Who.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    BBC America won't air them until after the new year.

3. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    That's weird, I just finished watching Season 2 and came here to make a post about it :)

4. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Whoops... Yes, I meant BBC America, not just the BBC. I had heard that BBC America was going to air them this last summer, or was that wrong? Has it been rescheduled, or was I wrong?

thanks

5. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    Last I read, it was going to be February on BBCA for Series 2. But that was when they were still shooting the final episodes and they hadn't aired yet in the UK

6. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Shoot, I misread the thread title.

I read "Life After Mars" as in Veronica Mars. :(

7. Dec 5, 2007 #7 of 32
    tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
  8. Dec 5, 2007 #8 of 32
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
  9. Dec 5, 2007 #9 of 32
    JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    Season 2 starts on Dec 11th according to http://bbcamerica.com/

FYI. The new show Ashes To Ashes featuring Gene Hunt and the gang, set in the 80's starts in the UK in January.

10. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I am looking forward to this. I hope it lives up to my expectations. the first season was very good. I wonder if HDNET will ever show it? I really like the "no commercials" part.

11. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    Season 2 was fantastic, much better than season 1 (which I thought was great) IMHO, some real laugh out loud stuff, especially as a brit of a certain age.

12. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Just started watching this. Starting with season 2 I have a few questions. Why does everyone but Sam have long hair? How did he get a job without an identity? Did he fake IDs, paperwork etc? I would think/hope a police department would be able to pick up on forgeries.

13. joeinma

joeinma New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Mass
    Sam doesn't have long hair for the obvious reason that he is (supposedly) from present day while everyone one else have 70's long hair.

He got the job because in season one when he was hit by the car and woke up in the 70's he went to the station where he worked. They were expecting a new detective that was transferring from a different city in England and they all assumed he was that guy. Don't know why the real guy never showed up though. Remember, this is early 70's where as you can see in the show, the station was very lax in paperwork and in modern day police techniques. It's bash heads then ask questions later.

14. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Thanks!

I just figured he has been there long enough and would want to fit it and would grow his hair out a bit. How much time has passed since he woke up to the start of season 2?

Thanks!

15. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Just finished season 2, that was SOOOOOO good!

16. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I thought it went back and forth too much. The payoff wasn't worth the intervening confusion. It was only "okay" in my book.

And, as far as Sam Tyler is concerned, that the series finale, not the season finale.

17. stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
  18. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I still havent watched Series 2 yet. I need to I guess. I loved 1.

Ashes to Ashes? I will have to check that out.

19. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Okay, I have seen the finale, and I agree, it was merely okay.

I am still a bit confused. Was Sam from the future and hallucinating 1973, or was he from 1973 and hallucinating the future? How could he not be from the future when he knew so much about it? The wording of the arrest caution, and so forth.

He was saying that he could only prove he was actually alive if he could "feel it," so when Annie slapped him, he felt it, but when he hurt himself in the meeting, he couldn't "feel anything" which convinced him that he needed to go back to '73. But if it was all in his mind, then is he truly just in a coma in the hospital?

Are we meant NOT to know exactly what was going on?

Did Annie shoot one of the bad guys?

20. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Even tho' it felt like a cop out (no pun intended), I reconciled myself with the idea that there were 2 Sam Tylers, one an DI in 1973, one a DCI in 2006, who were soul joined, the original accident and the subsequent leap from the rooftop, forced the DCI Tyler's soul to leap to it's twin in 1973/4.