"Life on Mars" New BBC Tv series

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Malcontent, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004

Advertisements

The first 2 episodes of this new BBC series is on the Newsgroups and Bittorrent. I watched the first 2 episodes and thought they were great. The show only airs in the U.K. You have to find the episodes on the Internet. It's a 8 episode series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lifeonmars/about.shtml

John Simm stars as Sam Tyler, a driven and ambitious young detective, determined to keep the streets of 21st Century Manchester safe. But after a near fatal car accident, he wakes up, dazed and confused, in 1973. Has he gone back in time? Is he in a coma? Or has he simply gone insane?

What follows is Sam's 21st century account of 1970s life, where he feels like a fish out of water. He must come to terms with an unfamiliar environment and an archaic CID unit. There, using his modern know-how, he becomes integral to the unit. But he must adapt to their old-fashioned technologies and etiquettes.

Sam works on some of the hardest cases he's ever been involved with. It's a world where witnesses are regularly intimidated, it takes two weeks to process forensics, and his colleagues will nail their suspect whether they have the evidence or not.

Sam's new boss is hard-nosed DCI Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister), who gets results by trusting his gut instinct and, all too often, sheer brute force.

The rest of his team have similar attitudes towards their work. Except WPC Annie Cartright (Liz White), an educated and open minded woman. As well as helping Sam battle criminals, she aids his quest to find the truth about his new circumstances.

Jane Featherstone, executive producer of Life on Mars, says, "Life on Mars is a fantastic idea which takes the cop show genre and gives it a unique, humorous and irresistible twist. By taking a character of our time and throwing him headfirst into our recent past, it gives us a chance to explore what makes us who we are today."

John Yorke, Controller of Continuing Drama Series and Head of Independent Drama at BBC explains, "The beauty of Life on Mars is that each week it concentrates on catching criminals through two completely opposing styles of policing. We put a modern DI bang in the world of the old school copper and so explore two totally foreign worlds. Sam's both repelled and fascinated by this prehistoric world, and the drama lies in how he tries to accommodate himself to life on a completely different planet."

Julie Gardner, BBC Wales Head of Drama adds: "We are delighted to have collaborated with Kudos on such an exciting and bold project as Life on Mars. And, to have such a talented cast can only highlight the quality of the writing and the production."

2. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow, sounds really cool. I'm gonna check it out. Thanks!

3. funbox

funbox New Member

Apr 5, 2002
    I think this is on HBO On Demand for people that have it.

4. Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...
    BBC is on HBO on demand?

Anyways, its a fun show, sort of an anti-CSI.

5. funbox

funbox New Member

Apr 5, 2002

Advertisements

Nevermind I'm totally wrong. Its some show called 'From the Earth to the Moon'.

6. jones07

jones07 eff.org warrior

Jan 30, 2001
    Phila, Pa....
    :p

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Maybe it'll show up on BBC America.

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's really a good show; it's like anti-CSI in a way. It's amazing how far we've come in just 30-some years. :)

9. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    It took me a minute to figure out from the description that Sam is from our present. I guess that whole "21st Century" thing hasn't really sunk in.

10. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    I watched the first 3 this weekend. I absolutely love it. Sam is great,
    but Gene Hunt is an awesome character. "I'm 'aving 'oops!"
    I can't wait for the next episode.

It is stunning how un-PC they were back then (or at least how they are being portrayed.)
    Sam's pleading to be in 1988 vs. 1973 was hilarious.
    I was thinking of how far we've come as I was watching a BT'ed show from the
    BBC that I put on my Tivo, sitting on my couch in the US, with a cup of tea and an Orange Club bikky.

11. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    DITTO! I thought *exactly* the same thing. In fact I thought I read 2066 on the description from the BBC website. Then I started watching it and was like "gee, that future doesn't look very futuristic!"

12. Bars & Tone

Bars & Tone Will Draw for Food

Aug 28, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Ok, I've watched eps 1–4 and while it's no 24, I expect I'll stick it out to the end if for no other reason than to see how they resolve everything.
    It certainly took him long enough to try and find "himself".
    I did get a laugh out of the bit about the one-way glass for suspect line-ups, though.

13. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Assuming there's no anti-blogwhoring rule around here...

I lived in London from 1970-3, so this series fascinates me since 1973 sort of "is" England to me, even after all these years. I wrote up my reactions to the show here.

14. Andrew_S

Andrew_S Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    Yeah, no one has been stuck in a bear trap and menaced by a couger just yet. I've only seen one episode so far, but it's head and shoulders above 24.

15. mclark11

mclark11 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    If anyone remembers this reminds me of of The old comic series Fish Police. Where he and everyone else is some kind of fish and they are police. Eventually it's revealed that he's actually human, but I don't remember the explanation of why everyone was a fish in this other reality....

16. Bars & Tone

Bars & Tone Will Draw for Food

Aug 28, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Sooooo, now that the season is over, what do we think?
    I was hoping for more from the last episode, but then I learned that it's being picked up for another run, so I guess Sam has to wander around in 1973 for a while longer.

17. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/schedule/schedule.jsp

Judging by the advertisement that I just saw on BBCA and some content on their website, Life On Mars is coming to BBCA.

18. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    Flashbacktion Weekend
    Get a sneak peek at the new series Life on Mars while we air marathons of some of our best retro action series, including The Avengers, starting Saturday, July 22nd.

19. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    This show is great. Make sure you set your TiVos for it when it's on BBC America!

20. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    Another 'this show is great' comment. Don't miss it.