Life On Mars general discussion (season to date--may be spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Oct 31, 2008.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Anyone watching this? I've kept up with it, but have mixed feelings. It just doesn't completely click for me, yet the premise is good, and the stories ok.

Not all the characters are clicking for me. Harvey Keitel-he swings back & forth from bad to good too much for me. Why would a cop clearly on the take (and for some time) turn on the bad guy like he did last night? Was the 3rd murder that much worse than the first two? And burning all that money? No way! At least you could drop it in the collection plate. I just don't buy it when a character who's been living in the gray area all his life suddenly gets a conscience.

Chrissy--another cop on the take. He's just one step from joining the Sopranos.

The girl next door (hey 2B)--I get her character, she's the inner voice foil, but she doesn't click for me.

Last night was typical of what bothers me. It was an interesting plot, running into his mother, but it was too Oedipal for me. Instead of making it a "Mother & Child Reunion", they kept throwing out hawt flashes. Eeewww :thumbsdown:

Without letting this devolve into a BBC vs ABC discussion, I'm thinking this type of show would make a great half-season mini-series (sorta like "Kill Point"). Use it as a spring filler. I think a lot of people are disinclined to get involved with a serial drama. But if you knew it had a defined ending, perhaps more people would watch it?

2. bleen

bleen Protein from the Sea

Aug 9, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Agreed, that ending was definitely "out there" even amongst the realm of wacky suspension-of-disbelief situations on TV. Not only that the crooked top cop suddenly changed his ways, but that the whole department applauded them when they walked in. And, relatively minor detail but still...what's with that haircut on the top cop? Sure the average man on the street had longish hair back then, but doubtful the head of the police department would :p

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The only thing that REALLY weirded me out about the episode was his mom's name: Rose Tyler.

For those not familiar, according to Wikipedia:

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The show also needs to be more careful. During the scene where Harvey Keitel was talking to Sam, there was clearly a large building with a Verizon sign on it. Verizon as a company DID NOT exist in 1973. It was either Bell Telephone or AT&T. All they had to do was take the camera angle 3 steps to the left and they would have been ok. That is just SLOPPY. Another example of sloppyness was a line from the previous week's episode where Michael Imperioli's character said something like "1968 is calling and they want their suit back" This is an expression that has come into vogue over the last couple of years and was NOT said in 1973. Now if Sam's character had said it, that would be cool, but not from a character like Michael's.

5. grant33

grant33 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Manassas, VA

Advertisements

Wow, I noticed both of those things and pointed them out to my wife. Glad I wasn't the only stickler watching. The Verizon sign was prominent enough to almost be purposeful product placement, but that wouldn't make sense.

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    It may indeed be purposeful... don't forget, last night, Sam was seeing a Nirvana album cover on someone's T-Shirt...

7. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Stephen King had an apt description for this kind of show/story. You need to "suspend disbelief"

If you're willing to accept that Sam traveled back in time to the 70's then why nit pick about the production values.

8. Nov 1, 2008 #8 of 38
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The British version at times did anachronisms and didn't care. They knew certain things were out of synch with actual history, and went ahead and did them anyway.

There was a reason...

I'm not tellin'.

9. Nov 1, 2008 #9 of 38
    TivoFan

TivoFan Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Northampton, MA
    I'm frustrated with this show because of the way they are handling the future. Either there needs to be more connection to 2008 or less, but all these semi-flashbacks do is annoy me.

And the fact that he has a girlfriend that he's committed to in 2008 really limits the show. I can't believe that he ends up falling for one of the girls in 1973 because that pretty much portrays him as a jerk. Which means that I don't get invested in the "possible" relationship with him and annie.

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    So Tyler's mother's name is Rose.

Hmmmm. Coincidence?

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    If I were to guess, I'll bet he winds up having feelings for Annie. He may not act on them, but he'll have feelings. And I think Annie definitely has feelings for him.

12. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I kept saying Rose Tyler, why does that sound so familiar?
    Then it hit me. DUH...
    :D

13. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Is she the ABC version of the BBC's test card girl?

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Who's Rose Tyler? Why should it sound familiar?

15. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
  16. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    I just gave up on the show after one and a half episodes. I could struggle further and hope it gets better, but shows rarely do. I think this is as good as it's going to get, and it's just not worth the effort.

17. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    I've been thinking the sane thing. The American test pattern Indian just wouldn't be as flexible or universally known as the test card girl.

Flashbacks/flashforwards/Visions are all part of the process. His memories of 73 come from a small child and *should* be a little distant and confused.

Blame the pilot episode for not setting up the ongoing struggles all that well. Sam/Maya UK was a rocky relationship and Maya was in jeopardy when Sam left. Each time he thinks "if I fix this I'll return" and it fails he accepts 73 a little more as a reality. And if 73 is the reality, 08 and Maya must be the illusions. So how is he a jerk if he's accepting 73 as real?

I'm enjoying the show for itself and not wasting time with comparisons to the UK original. :)

18. jtlytle

jtlytle Un-Registered User

May 17, 2005
    Sacramento,...
    I saw the show for the first time. I just added it to my SP and hope it will be good. Wish I have seen the pilot episode.

19. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I think she is the US version of the bartender.

20. KyleLC

KyleLC Unregistered User

Feb 6, 2002
    Sugar Land, TX
    He didn't make up that one. I learned about that in 10th grade English class.

Having a show set back in time does not excuse it from having production values. If that were a legit excuse, you could say that about any TV show.