Life after Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by utvnut, Mar 26, 2007.

1. utvnut

utvnut New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Clifton, Va.

Advertisements

Well, 2 weeks into my H20 and life goes on. We still have 3 HR10-250's in the house for the rest of the family to watch but the main viewing on the 65" screen is the new D*DVR.
    First impression=everyone hated it. After 3 service calls, one box swap-out (!) and numerous software upgrades and secret insider (dbstalk intell) adjustments I have decided it is actually a good mix of Tivo and the extinct Ultimate TV of the past.

I will post more info if anyone wishes but as this is a Tivo forum I just wanted to ad my opinion for the readers that it is not as bad as some lead you to believe. Like anything, it takes time to adjust to change. My overall grade now, even with the changeover problems is that after it is adjusted properly, it is just slightly superior in functionality to the Tivo.

If you transition, be sure to turn off the screen animations for no guide lag and fix the guide button to one push from 2 and you will be much happier.

Tivo=B
    H20=B+

2. Cudahy

Cudahy New Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Cudahy,...
    One of the hardest thing for me to give up is the feel and convenience of the peanut remote.
    Is the H20 remote as bad as other Directv remotes?

3. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Yep. They are all the same shape and feel now. I liked the peanut a lot better. The HR20 is OK though.

4. utvnut

utvnut New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Clifton, Va.
    The remotes not bad, the "back" function is pretty cool. The one that lights up is a bit easier, I got that one with the replacement box, and have the non-back lit one too. They dont make you return remotes with swap-outs.

The universal part is OK with my Denon receiver, and all functions are just as good, some better than the peanut. For example in the list you just press the yellow button to go to "to do" instead of going through a few pages. The colored buttons, red, green, blue yellow all have specific functions that are easy to use even with out your glasses on (50 year old eyeballs) so I have to give it a draw at least for Tivo lovers or objectively a slight edge over the peanut.

Also, I have my Harmony 880 all converted and have no problems at all.

5. itzme

itzme New Member

Dec 6, 2004

Advertisements

With the H20, have you found a quick easy way to swap between 2 channels, pausing the each while watching the other (i.e watching 2 football games)? Have you found a 30 sec skip? those are the 2 things I think I'd miss from my HR10

6. evilklown

evilklown New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    question,I have Hr10-250 and am happy with it I guess, what advantage do i have NOW if i switch to the H20,I already get "locals" from OTA and get free from NYC stations via sat..I live in Chicago.

7. Hersheytx

Hersheytx New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Dallas
    Got my 5lnb dish hooked up this weekend. Got to see the new slots this dish can receive.
    99 & 103. THis was the main reason for getting the Directv HD-DVR. I want to see the new channels popping up on my guide as they go live. My only regret is knowing I will need more hd space to record.
    Having 3 Tivos made it easy to resolve conflicts.
    So far I see no 30 second skip. I was hoping they would implement dual buffers. RIght now you would have to record one show, then bring up the guide and switch to the other channel. When you want to go back, you would bring up the guide and find your recorded show.
    Its takes to much time to do it, so I just try to use my other TIVOs and use my receiver to switch between boxes.

8. utvnut

utvnut New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Clifton, Va.
    As has been noted here many many times, there is no dual buffer. You have to record a channel to save it so you could record game 1 on CBS and game 2 on FOX and use the "previous" button to go back and forth. That is probably the only main drawback to the box.

You get a nice bar indicator to see how much record space is used and left so the double record is not a total crap shoot. Also, the end of a show says "end/save or end/delete so it's easy to discard both games at the end.

The 30 second skip button is built in and on the remote. It is just a super super fast forward doing a 30 second jump in about 1 second so it is just as good as the HR10 but you dont have to program it

9. itzme

itzme New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Hershey,

I'm still using an HR-10 Tivo only, so can I use you as a sort of gunea pig and ask you to play around with Utvnut's suggestions/work-arounds (above) to dual buffers and to the 30-sec skip? Give us your opinion and critique on using his recommendations. Thanks!

Also, Utvnut, regarding your dual buffer work-around, can you pause each channel so that when you hit previous, it returns to where you left off?

One more question, am I correct that there is no "suggestions" feature that might automatically record shows that have Thumbs Up and put them into a separate "Now Playing" area?

10. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    You don't have to hit the pause button. The previous button actually returns you to the program at a spot several seconds before you switched away from it.

11. miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv New Member

Sep 29, 2005

Bet they don't have that feature that lets you use the fast-FORWARD button to go BACKWARDS in a program! Sure wish Tivo hadn't patented that one...

:rolleyes:

12. utvnut

utvnut New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Clifton, Va.
    To get the "jump" (either way) the D* box requires you to press FF -or- RW for a second, let go and press again but hold for 2 seconds and it will jump to the next tic mark on the bar. It works in either direction, about 3 out of 4 times. : )

13. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX
    Instead of discussing it here- head over to www.dbstalk.com for tons of HR20 info and experts

14. utvnut

utvnut New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Clifton, Va.
    OK, gotta join there but one warm Tivo fuzzy is going to another room with the HDTivo and knowing all the tricks. It stilll works well and now that I have one new box I am in no hurry to change out my 3 10-250's.

That 2 year commitment looms as the only complication.

15. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I've owned two HR20s since about September and all I can say is that I MUCH prefer TiVo!

The ONLY reason these POSs exist in my house is because I'm too far away to get OTA locals and my local cable service it total cr@p.

I've lost count of the number of lockups, resets, programs failing to record and other problems (including never being able to use HDMI).

Give me the TiVo interface any day of the week. It has its faults, but not nearly as many as the NDS joke box.

16. tividiot

tividiot New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Beware of dbstalk.com. The site has become heavily biased in favor of DTV, while simultaneously banning those who report problems or question the slant of the site. DTV offers proprietary information and hardware to the site's owners and moderators, as well as advance beta software for DTV's receivers, to be tested by the site's users. The mods closely scrutinize and sanitize the feedback posted by users. Instead of maintaining an open forum, the mods openly question the truthfulness of those who report problems with DTV's receivers, and outright ban those who dare to question whether mods have deleted negative feedback, thus forever tainting the feedback DTV receives. I know. I was banned today. It appears to be an effort to maintain their relationship with DTV. It's unknown whether they are paid to do so.

If you want an open discussion on the HR20 that is unbiased, where all sides are free to post comments, you're better off looking elsewhere (or staying here, even though the HR20 doesn't contain TiVo).

17. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    is your banned posting or any portions thereof still on there? Id love to see what all the fuss is about

18. tividiot

tividiot New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Nope. They deleted it, even though I've posted the same info nearly word-for-word (quotes from the CNet review of the HR20) many times before. They just didn't like the second paragraph, which was new and questioned the ties the site has with DTV).

I'll PM my post to anyone who wants to see it. It's incredibly benign. newsposter, it's on the way to you.

19. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I guess "they" have the right to free speech too :) nuff said...

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Believe me, tividiot is plain wrong. In my experience, the mods on dbstalk let too much trash talk to go on, including direct namecalling of the mods themselves.

Of course, if someone goes in there blasting the site and the mods, what do you think will happen? There isn't a forum in the world that will put up with blasting the mods.

Oh, and of course tividiot must not realize that dbstalk, this forum and avsforum are all run by the same group of people. Yeah, there is a bias. Right.