Life 11/14/2007 (S01E08) "Farthingale"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Nov 14, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

That was a neat death (the IRS guy, not Ames).

I guess it can work both ways when your lawyer gets a job at the DA's office... the DA might think he's pulling a fast one, but loyalties don't always get swayed by the current employer. ;)

2. dansee

dansee Sayonara

Oct 23, 2003
    "Imagine being married to two different women."

"OK, I'll play... are they hot?"

:D

Great episode.

3. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Really weird story/plot though. This show never ceases to amaze!

Anybody else practically pass out from holding their breath when they broke into THE closet? I love how they didn't show us that the photos were gone at first. I was sitting there going "OMG...OMG...they're-going-to-see-the-pictures-and-he's-going-to-look-so-guilty!" :D

4. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    Even though the death was cool, it was unrealistic that there were absolutely no trace of the lower half. There should've been blood, bone, and/or flesh everywhere.

I'm glad that the hot lawyer is back. And she's separated from her husband, too.

As for the main arc, it's seems to go too slowly. All we got this week is that Ames had an argument with Dani's dad. I'm getting the feeling that the writers do not have the answers for the initial episodes order.

5. tunabeard

tunabeard Tunabeard

Sep 22, 2005
    Staten...

Advertisements

what was he listening to in the car while he was taking the pictures?

6. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    "One" by Aimee Man

7. dansee

dansee Sayonara

Oct 23, 2003
    Oddly, I feel just the opposite. Since every episode is so well self-contained, I look at the 'mystery' portion as simply being a small bonus, and as tidbits are released, I find myself more intrigued.

8. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    How big does the conspiracy go? The way Crewes said "a week before Ames died the DA took my lawyer from me", made it seem like someone at the DA's office is in on it.

J

9. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    I thought that too. I also thought it very odd that Crewes' lawyer would accept a job at the DA's office. It just didn't seem to fit with her attitude/approach at all. I don't care how much money the DA's office offered her. There's no way it could compete with what she was making in a private firm. And upsetting the salary structure of a DA's office would just piss off everyone (DA salaries can't be kept secret - they're public information).

The only thing that I could come up with is that she somehow thinks that she'll be in a better position to protect Crewes (like being able to tip him off about the impending search - something that is, itself, a crime) by being on the inside, but even that feels like a stretch. It probably wouldn't bother me so much, except that I REALLY like this show, so anomolies like that make me cranky.

10. dansee

dansee Sayonara

Oct 23, 2003
    See, with the calls to the house before the raid, and to Crewes, what struck me is: "There's more to her joining the DA's office than just putting away bad guys." In fact, I had the sense that the entire reason she took the job offer is because she knew something was afoot... in spite of what she told Crewes.

11. DirecTiVoTexas

DirecTiVoTexas Jeff - P1 TicketHead

Aug 25, 2003
    Keller, TX
    You could also look at it another way. The DA's office is counting on her to feed Crewes information and tip him off on raids, etc. They just monitor her activity, which will lead to Crewes.

12. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Abingdon,...
    I think it's more like taking his lawyer away from him. I hope this show doesn't get canned. The storyline is becoming interesting.

13. Dignan

Dignan _

Jan 27, 2002
    _
    And another Deadwood cast alumni makes an appearance, the Union rep was Steve the drunk bigoted horse store owner...

The death scene reminded me of something from a modern art exhibit. I've always liked the Aimee Mann version of Nilsson's One.

14. OldFantom

OldFantom New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    SE Texas
    So how many shows have recycled the multiple wives and multiple lives plot? I can get past that little problem. There really is anything very original on these cop shows. But the death – please! First, as previously mentioned, there would have been bit of IRS agent all over the place. The blast would have to be super hot to flash fry the legs. No damage to anything but the door of the fridge, the legs and the stove? Do you think a pressure wave strong enough to peel the oven would have left the fridge door open let the guy drop like a stone straight down? Losing your lower torso is not instantly fatal. It would hurt and you would bleed out in all likelihood. You would not die on your stump looking all serene. Unless there was that pressure wave, that would kill you pretty quick, but see my thoughts above. I can suspend reality with the best of 'em - I love a good (or bad) zombie flick - but come on.

15. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    There were several logic problems with the episode. The death was one, and the other glaring problem that pulled me out of the episode for a moment was that the IRS didn't have anything more than a PO box for the terrorist guy. They never accept a PO box as an address, as I know from personal experience.

But I still like the show a lot, and I'm willing to get past these inconsistencies with little more than an :rolleyes: so far.

16. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I love this show as much as Journeyman, I hope they both come back next season.

17. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I put a thread in SP area but this show is going to be on Monday night 12/3 after Heroes. It is a 2-parter that concludes on its regular Wednesday night two days later.

18. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Maybe the LIFE writers went on a premature secret strike, because a once intriguing show on several levels with an interesting cast has gone downhill quickly into goofy, ill considered plot lines. I'm hanging on but only because of the lead cast and the premise. OK, the lawyer is seriously hot but I like to think I'm above that.

19. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I found it interesting that they "took his lawyer from him a week before" the old detective died. To me, that seems more like a pre-emptive strike. They want to get him off the police force. She's the attorney that helped get him back on. Not many attorneys would have been able to do that. This way, there is a conflict of interest, and she can't help him anymore. That's why Dani was partnered with him. Her father is involved in what is going on, so it makes sense that she'd be loyal to her father to protect him. I'm glad the Lieutenant chick mentioned that Crews had done some good police work. I do think she's going to continue to feed info, though.

As far as Crews' response to the IAD interview, I think he was just falling back on the Zen stuff he was listening to when he was put into a stressful situation. I think his response was what got the house searched. Good for the partner/money guy. I think he's got to wonder what's going on in Crews' head.

I did think the funeral of the detective was weird, though. Why would Dani be the first one behind the coffin with the Lieutenant? Why was Dani's father not in uniform? Is he retired?

I'm really liking this show. I thought this episode was a good episode.

20. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    I do think Dani's father is retired. He seems to be a contemporary of the guy who was killed.