1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG C8/Tivo issues.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Kaguado17, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Kaguado17

Kaguado17 New Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Hi guys, I have an LG C8 OLED along with a TiVo Bolt Vox 500GB. Sometimes they seem to have real problems connecting with each other. I'll turn on the TV and the box and sometimes it'll say "HDMI not supported", other times it just straight up won't display anything at ALL even though it's on the right HDMI input; the LG screensaver will just loop. I had to memorize the button presses on the remote to reach "Enter Standby" on the menu so that I can do it blindly (home, left, OK, left, down, OK). I'll turn it back on after a bit and it will work. What is happening here? This never happened until I upgraded my TV. I love it but this stuff is annoying. Can anyone give me some advice? I plan on bringing up the same thing with LG, but I figured I'd post here, just in case.

2. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    If your tv has an HDMI ARC input use that for the Tivo.
    I had some similar issues with my Samsung tv, and using the ARC input solved most of the trouble.

3. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Try not using stanby, it does not save much juice anyway...

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I have a LG OLED connect to my Bolt. Two things. First set up the bolt with a fixed output. Test it. If it works well you are fine. Second, in the LG menu, setup the HDMI input. For mine I turned on HDR.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty sure that he's using Standby to correct the problem by re-initiating the handshake, it's not what's causing the problem in this case.

6. Nov 2, 2018 #6 of 10
    Kaguado17

Kaguado17 New Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.

*I boughy a new HDMI cable and switched it to the ARC input, did not work. If anything, it seems to have gotten worse.

*I am not using standby, I have it turning off completely.

*I will try using a set output instead of auto.

7. Nov 3, 2018 #7 of 10
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Was the original HDMI cable the one that came with the TiVo? What brand is the new one? It goes straight from the TiVo to the TV with nothing in between?

8. Nov 5, 2018 #8 of 10
    Kaguado17

Kaguado17 New Member

Oct 29, 2018
    I dunno about the original HDMI cable, it was just one that I had laying around. The brand of the new one is an Audioquest one from Best Buy, the cinnamon one. It goes straight into the TV.

However, it seems that setting the TiVo to a fixed resolution has helped. Let's hope I'm not speaking too soon. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. Nov 5, 2018 #9 of 10
    Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    I had a similar problem with a Samsung TV, had to set TiVo to fixed Video to stop 2 second blackouts between scenes and commercials. And ARC on did not work either.

10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    If you want to use Auto you might need a Certified Premium HDMI Cable

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115428-Certified-Premium-18Gbps/dp/B01GCGKI3O

HDMI :: Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program :: FAQs

The one that came with the TiVo might also work.