Leverage S04E05 "The Van Gogh Job" 17 July 2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Amnesia, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm not the biggest Leverage fan---I usually consider it more background TV watching than anything else---but I really enjoyed this episode.

I particularly liked seeing Beth Riesgraf playing a different role. Parker is so cartoonish that it's nice to see that she can play something different...

2. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    Surprisingly offbeat and risky for them, and it worked very well. The Wurlitzer was a little obvious, as was Nathan's final trick, but it was really the flashback story that had the suspense (and a flashback within a flashback!). I did feel like Sophie's past-equivalent was a little forced in though.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She and Aldis Hodge were both very good at portraying different characters.

Timothy Hutton, as usual, did a terrible, cartoonish job of portraying a different character. How strange that the Big Gun of the cast may be the worst actor, or at least the most inappropriate for his role.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I had meant to come in and post on this episode!
    I'm agreed on Tim Hutton and it's disappointing because I like a lot of his earlier work, even in the last 10 years it's been a bit better than his Leverage work, but the ensemble just works so well that it's not an issue for me.

I know in some of the other threads it's been mentioned that folks didn't feel that this season got off to a great start, but I disagree, I think this has been much better than last season and the Moreau "big bad" arc, I've always preferred the little stand alone episodes.

This may be my favorite episode of the series, it certainly is for the season, in my heart I wanted the 10 Lil Grifters to be the one, but it wasn't as strong as this was in execution.

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This was a very good episode.

6. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I generally am a Leverage fan and I hated this episode.
    The whole characters playing characters back in time ploy was - - - stupid. I fast forwarded through all the time shifts and only watched when they were in the present.

I think the show works best in modern times with modern technology so it was not good for me.

Funny - during the first scene - I thought
    wow that guy looks like Danny Glover.
    I dunno why it seemed to impossible to me that MOVIESTAR Danny Glover would appear on a tv show but there you have it.

7. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I am with Cainebj... I love Leverage and HATED this episode. I am tired of the focus on Nate and his drinking. Move on.

This show works better IMO when it follows the Quantum Leap Model. Each week's episode is somewhat self-contained and an amusing and clever job. When they try and branch out to different things, I find they never work as well.

8. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    +1

The actors playing the people in the past stuff was plain silly. Skipped right past all the flashbacks.

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    You just said that SO much better than me!

I love it when they do a job and you get that final recap at the end on how they did it.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I thought it was very well done, sweet without being sappy, and probably one of the best episodes of what Leverage does *right* when they get it right in my book.

This of course is my opinion :D and very much how apropos the phrase "different strokes for different folks" is in TV land. I have this feeling I'd never watch the version of Leverage that those hating this episode would like, and I doubt they would like mine.

11. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I think that is my issue with this episode. Those types of shows are fine. But that's NOT what this show is about. The first season, and most of the second, had a very well done formula. Then they started to muck with it, and it leaves you with either a good episode or a less-than-stellar one like this.

I understand that actors and actresses and directors and writers all want to branch out. However, on certain shows, that isn't what I am looking for. I don't want branching. I want it all nice and self contained!

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Let them branch out. Shows like Leverage follow a certain formula every week. If they don't branch out every once in a while, you're pretty much watching the same episode 22 times per season.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Now now, don't exaggerate. You're only pretty much watching the same episode 10-16 times per season. ;)

14. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Count me among those for whom this was the favorite episode of the season so far. I really enjoyed seeing Reisgraf and Hodge flex their acting muscles. Hutton seemed to mail this one in, but since he was not as central to the story, it wasn't too distracting. I liked the diversion from the norm, and I'm sure the actors appreciated it as well.

15. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    In the other episodes I've blamed it on him playing a character who is playing a character. This time though it was total camp for no reason.

Beth Riesgraf :eek:

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But it's him playing a character who is playing a character who is portrayed as fooling everybody. Which makes everybody complete idiots.

A good actor...no, wait, Hutton is a good actor...a suitable actor would be able to pull it off. Hutton either can't, or can't be bothered.