Letter to D*TV & TIVO CEO/Chairman

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jonra, Sep 23, 2006.

1. jonra

jonra New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Warrenton,...

Advertisements

First of all - I am for TIVO/DirecTV.

Like many of you, I haven't had good service from various cable & phone companies in the past. Lately I've had crappy service & options from D*TV.

I'd like to be part of a letter signed by customers (especially who have been with D*TV and or TIVO for many years) who feel the same about D*TV offering us CHOICE....

Of course this Letter to D*TV & TIVO CEO/Chairman will have to be re-written since I'm not a good writer.

In our (anyone who wants to join me) opinion... maybe I'm the only one who feels this way?

In the long run - If D*TV wants to continue (or keep us as customers) as a significant provider in the future. IT MUST offer customers CHOICE and make deals with TIVO, wireless, & phone companies again. DirecTV WILL HAVE A DIFFICULT TIME otherwise & BEING STINGY....

In a finanacial show on CNBC one of the traders recomended TIVO stock as a buy becuase TIVO makes the best DVR. Tivo only does one thing. That is why TIVO will stay ahead and is better. He said "all TIVO wants from the cable and sattelite providers is $1 per month".

The cable companies and phone companies make available CABLE CARD for TIVO Series 3, TVs, & other products.... SO why won't DirecTV offer TIVO for any customers that want it? It may hurt you in the future not to make a TIVO for this purpose, especially if there are customers who want it, and some willing to pay for it. The phone & cable companies allow for this.

IN THE LONG RUN - The system that does best is open and offers choice.

2. BillsIn05

BillsIn05 New Member

Aug 14, 2006
    I would sign been customer since Primestar

3. jym

jym New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    I am a new customer and would definitely sign.

4. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I really don't want to be a skunk at your garden party, but I don't see how this accomplishes anything, other than giving signees the impression that somehow they have some control over the situation. They don't.

First, you're preaching to the choir (Tivo management) for one of these letters. They were not happy on any level to sever the DTV apron strings. They are on your side. But that ship has sailed.

And DTV has to "dance with the girl that brung ya". IOW, they have made their decision, and are not going to back down for any variety of reasons. They have to at least drink the Kool-Aid and pretend they're doing the right thing. They can't look weak, or like they're wavering, and there is too much ego involved to allow them to be shown up in their own customers' living rooms by some now "rogue" PVR, that they know deep in their hearts can kick the HR20's ass.

This explains the machinery now in place to de-Tivo their customers as swiftly and thoroughly as possible, while still placating the Tivo faithful with a 3-year service agreement extension with Tivo for existing boxes. They plan to eventually outlive all DTivos, and then the HR20 and its successors will be the best DTV PVR by default, since that is their only hope for such regard.

It would take a colossal failure of the NDS DVRs and a signficant erosion of customers or revenue for them to admit in a couple years that this was a bad idea, and even then, they're not going back to re-marry their old ex-wife, Tivo, under any circumstances.

But I would also love to see anyone who is motivated let them know how unhappy you are, so vaya con Dios, mi amigos. I think they shot the golden goose, frankly. Murdered it in cold blood. I hope it all causes enough puckering around their little brown rings to get someone to start pushing this company in a much more sensible direction. Any little bit of aggravation can only help.