Letter from D*

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Sir_winealot, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

Advertisements

Am I the only one who got a letter stating:

"We have been unsuccessful in our recent attempts to reach you by phone regarding an important change to your D* HD service. This change will require us to replace your D* HD equipment with upgraded HD equipment, FREE of charge to you. There is no COMMITMENT required."

Or are others receiving it? I've still got 3 HR10's running......and an old HR21 sitting on my shelf in a closet.

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    I got one. And, I cancelled directv months ago.

3. NOT-MEE

NOT-MEE New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Got one the other day also.

4. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    I got one, and was amused by the line about being "unsuccessful" in reaching me by phone. Uh, nobody's called -- at least not in the last year. In any event, I put it in the recycle bin -- I've already got two HR20s and an HR21, but use the HR10 for all OTA recordings. They will not pry that away from me until the new HD TiVo comes out ... assuming it will also do OTA.

5. willmw

willmw Tech Nut

Apr 30, 2000
    Thomson,...

Advertisements

They actually have been unsuccessful calling me...several times. I have privacy director service and by the time I got the notification of the call and listened to enough of it to realize it was an automated call from D*, the call had ended. But, yeah, I got the mailing. Not planning on doing anything at present because I'm only using my 10-250 for standard def and OTA.

6. whsbuss

whsbuss Advanced Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Phila, PA
    My question after receving this letter (and email) is what option do I have? I cannot get the new 5-lnb dish - I can only keep my 3-lnb dish. Can they give me a receiver to continue with HD programming???

7. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    You can't get the new 5 LNB dish? Why?

I figure I'll get a HR21 or 22, keep my HR 10-250, and upgrade to TiVo service with DTV when the new DTV mpeg 4 TiVo box comes available.

DTV will bring me to new HD DVR, upgrade the dish, and activate it.

8. jmayes

jmayes New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    Knoxville,...
    I got it too, does this mean there is a firm date when hd-mpeg2 will end? Was hoping to hold out until the new Tivo is out.

Jmayes

9. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    End of the year for most, already been posted in the forum here.

10. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    If you don't have a 5 LNB dish you won't get any HD from DirecTV in a few months (end of the year for most) as they are moved to the new sats. You can still get OTA HD of course if you do now.

11. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    And just a few minutes ago, I received an email from them with the subject line "Service Notice: HD Receiver Exchange Needed." Guess they are really getting serious about trying to get these old guys out of service.

12. whsbuss

whsbuss Advanced Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Phila, PA
    Well I guess no more HD for me when they officially make the switch (any official date announced?). I will not permit the huge 5-lnb dish to be placed on my roof. Since 1998 the dish has always been placed on the eave of my house. FiOS is slated to be available in early 2009 so that's where I will be going.

13. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=404012

14. BGLeduc

BGLeduc Member

Aug 26, 2003
    New Mexico
    A bud and I got the letter about the same time. He asked what our options were. This is what I said:

Option #1. Do nothing. We will lose all HD channels (not counting OTA) at some point soon, and we of course will not have access to all the MPEG4 HD channels, which means all HD other than OTA. It will suck having to watch ESPN2 stuff in SD. Supposedly at the end of next year, they will have a new Tivo, and depending on the deal, we can do something then.

Option #2. Let them give us their HD box, which is not a Tivo. If the damn thing had a Tivo style guide, I might actually be willing to try it just to get all the HD channels, but I can not stand the DirecTV style guide. I actually switched the Tivo over to it just to see if I could tolerate it, and for me it just plain sucks.

Option #3. Flip 'em the bird, cancel, get Comcast, and buy a Series 3 HD Tivo.

Option #4. Flip 'em the bird, cancel, get Dish and see what their DVR is like.

I am doing Option #1.

Brian

15. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    I've got an HR 10-250 and I've been getting calls and emails and even letters out the wazoo.

The annoying thing is that I answered the calls and told the operator I wasn't interested and I'm STILL getting calls and letters and emails.

The operator was very peeved that I declined a "free" offer like that. Especially after I said "I'm keeping my Tivo".

16. georgemoe

georgemoe TiVo Army Grunt

Nov 7, 2001
    Central...
    I got both the letter and email. I have just one HR10-250. I've been contemplating going to Comcast for the 3-deal for a while now and FIOS in my town is right around the corner.

So the letter says "free" dish and new HD DVR but does this come at a cost? Do I have to sign up for a new 2 yr service commitment? I won't do it. I may also have a hard time getting a signal with the 5lnb slimline due a tree. No way I'll allow the 5lnb on my roof.

My thought now is to wait until I lose the D* Mpeg2 HD then just cancel the HD service and go only OTA. I hate to lose HDNet, etc. but I'll do it until I have my 3 options to choose from once FIOS shows.

17. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    The letter states "no commitment," and I would assume there is absolutely no cost. I'm thinking about getting 3 of the HR-22's to replace my HR10's until the new TiVo comes out.

18. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Don't understand why #2 isn't an option if you plan on staying with DirecTV. Get the free DirecTV DVR, use it for HD only, hate on it if you wish, keep the HR10 for OTA HD and SD, then get the new DirecTivo in 1-2 years when it comes out. In fact, since there is no commitment what do you have to lose? At least in the meantime you get access to all the HD channels while you wait it out. And you could go to Comcast or Dish at any time.

I do find your comments on the guide interesting. Unless you watch a lot of Live TV I'd think the guide wouldn't matter a whole lot. Set up all your season passes and be done with it. ;) But yea, everyone uses their DVR differently. For every person that loves the Tivo guide there is someone that hates it. Anyway....

19. Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona
    I got an email version. Called today. First support didn't know about the letter. Transferred me to retention. No debate. 2 HD DVRs to replace my two HR10-250s. New "slim" dish. Notation to give me 2 free AM21s once the boxes are activated. I get to keep the old HR10-250s since I own them. The boxes are leased, and I have no 2 year commitment. I currently have no commitment on my account.

Total cost zero.

Since I am keeping the HR10-250s, if they the other boxes suck, I can swap back.

Can't wait for the new Tivos however...joe

20. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    I got the letter and I have already installed the slimline dish and a HR20 myself. Even though they know I have the dish, they keep calling to upgrade. I'm keeping my 8 HR10's until they go up in smoke or they replace with a TiVo.