Let's talk about ways to save shows to DVD!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hummingbirdbleu, Aug 17, 2007.

1. hummingbirdbleu

hummingbirdbleu New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I'm fairly new to TiVo, but I am in LOVE!! I purchased the Toshiba SD-H400 and silly me! thought I had bought the model with the built in DVD burner. Since I didn't, I am trying to find an alternate way to save some of the shows to disk. I would be thrilled if you have any suggestions. I have Lifetime Plus service on the TiVo and a mac computer.

Thank you!!! :)

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The easiest way: get an external DVD recorder.

I would suggest getting a DVD recorder _with_ a hard drive even if you think you don't want one.

Then you simply "save to VCR" (or just start playing -- save to vcr adds the IMHO nice title page at the beginning and prevents easily hitting a remote button and wrecking the recording -- though it will put icons on the screen and on the second hit put up a prompt.. but it still is useful imho) to the hard drive on the other recorder.

Then you can edit the recording and burn to DVD.

Though if your Toshiba is a series 2, you can also use the 'home media options' to transfer the shows over a network to the computer. I don't know what sort of editing/burning is doable after that, but I know it is doable. (I have series 1s and series 3s, the former which never have been able and the latter which aren't currently able to do the save-over-network thing. I would use it in the future though on my S3, at least for some things.)

3. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    The best way to do what you are asking can't be discussed here. You'll have to head over to deal data base dot com for the real skinny on getting your Tivo recordings on DVD without all of the digital to analog and analog to digital conversions which not only degrades the video but it strips out the Dolby Digital audio in the process (ooops, I forgot you have a Tivo that only records from analog sources so DD is not available to you).

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Simple, for your computer, you can get the TiVo compatible Toast package.