Let's start at the very beginning....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mb_taylor2@yahoo, Dec 10, 2015.

1. mb_taylor2@yahoo

mb_taylor2@yahoo New Member

Dec 10, 2015

Advertisements

A very basic question I can't quite find the answer to....
    I heard that the TIVO Bolt will allow me to ditch my Uverse dvr and the 3 additional receivers we have around the house. So I set up the Bolt at our main TV. Now, how do I watch what it records at one of our other tvs?

I had one of the original TIVOs in 1999 and was absolutely in love with it. Thought it had the best interface and customer service ever. Then we went the way of the free DVR's offered by our providers and not one has come close to the TIVO experience. I'm excited to put the Bolt on my Christmas list and stop paying ATT the $27/month rental fee for their receivers.

Thanks for your help.

2. Robbo1

Robbo1 Member

Oct 31, 2015
    CT
    You buy 3 Tivo Minis and connect those to the other TVs. The Mini's can stream recorded content from the Bolt or grab one of the Bolt's 4 tuners and watch live tv.

Note that everything needs to be connected via either Ethernet or Moca.

3. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Current Tivo's will not replace a ATT Uverse or PrismTV STB's.

Not compatible!

You will need traditional Cable TV service or use an Antenna.

4. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hold on, I don't believe Tivo will work with UVerse at all since UVerse doesn't use cable cards.

Edit: Looks like foghorn2 just beat me to it.

5. Robbo1

Robbo1 Member

Oct 31, 2015
    CT

Advertisements

Yeah-- you would have to switch to cable TV or OTA.

6. mb_taylor2@yahoo

mb_taylor2@yahoo New Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Well darn. Thanks for letting me know.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Assuming you can ditch uverse and get cable instead you should look at the math. Let's assume a cable plan with the same channels costs the same as uverse. (but you should consider that if it doesn't) A TiVo Bolt costs $300 and includes 1 year of service. After that you pay $150/year for service. The Minis cost $120/ea on Amazon right now and don't have any extra servuce fee. So your initial layout will be $660. That makes the break even point for TiVo compared to your existing setup roughly 3 years. After that it would cut your bill a little less then half down to $12.50/mo.

If you could save a few bucks by switching to cable it would make the value proposition a little better. But if cable is more then you might be right back where you started, or worse.

Your other option is to cut the cord and use OTA and streaming services instead. That could save you a substaintial amount if you can deal with the more limited programming selection.

8. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    S2s with an IR blaster will work with U-Verse. Of course it'll only be in SD, so this would appeal to only a small minority of folks.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On the other hand, a setup like that strips out the CCI byte, so you can copy said SD recording off to PC and/or other TiVo with same MAK.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not necessarily true. The S2 units supported Macrovision protection and some cable boxes will actually output Macrovision on protected channels, which in turn blocks copying just like the CCI byte can.