Let the CES RumorMongering begin!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Justin Thyme, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Dec 28, 2005 #1 of 291
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Maybe we need a thread for the wild and not so wild rumors flying about before the consumer electronics show.

Here's one story today- Tivo partnering with DirecTv and Dish to provide portable video content.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/12/28/cesrumor_dvr_partnership_mobilemedia/

I can see them maybe agree on standards making it easier to get stuff onto a Portable device from their own proprietary dvrs, but would you call this partnering? Whatever. I checked around and I don't see this rumor on other web sites. AVSforum just points to the same article.

Anyone see this one, or read of other rumors to add to the heap?

2. Dec 28, 2005 #2 of 291
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Maybe they got it all fouled up from the story on DaveZatz's site-

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2005-12/directv-goes-mobile/

Which only mentions that direcTv will announce a new partnership so they can do portable video too, not that there is any sort of broader partnership between the satellite carriers and Tivo. I suppose the folks at tgdaily get paid more to write than to read though.

3. Dec 28, 2005 #3 of 291
    dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    Yes ... it looks like someone grossly misunderstood DaveZatz's use of the term "join".

4. Dec 28, 2005 #4 of 291
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Heh, I was thinking the same thing. Dave reported that DirecTV will be 'joining' Dish and TiVo in offering a mobile solution. He meant just that they'd be joining the market, not that there would be a partnership. Then PVRWire picked up the store from him. I suspect those are the 'several' sites.

5. Dec 28, 2005 #5 of 291
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm guessing the confusion comes from the following in Dave's article:

It should be obvious that the partnership will not be with TiVo or Dish, but I could see how someone might misunderstand.

6. Dec 28, 2005 #6 of 291
    raianoat

raianoat TiVoBlog.com

Jan 27, 2004
    Isn't it great how other people repost content without fully understanding what somebody is trying to say :).

7. Dec 29, 2005 #7 of 291
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Wow, I didn't even stop to think my poor writing initiated that rumor. Doh! I guess this is one of those cases where it's OK the site didn't credit me with the info. ;)

I assume the parternetship will be similar to Dish/Archos or TiVo/Intel VIIV... definitely not DISH/DirecTV/TiVo - ha! CES should be real interesting next week on many levels.

(I'm thinking I'll have more fun sitting back and reading the coverage than immersing myself in the frantic data overload. I was naive when I registered and didn't think that my email and cell phone number would be provided to each of the 2500 vendors - I've been inundated with product announcements and meeting requests via email AND phone.)

8. Dec 29, 2005 #8 of 291
    lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Dave:

Yeah, I learned that the hard way two years ago.

J

9. Dec 29, 2005 #9 of 291
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am thinking we are going to be hearing a lot about two things and two things only.

1) Cable Card HD TiVo

2) iPod/PSP functionality

10. Dec 29, 2005 #10 of 291
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    What we don't hear will be equally telling. ;)

I'd like to know more about the Comcast initiative, but that may be Comcast's baby to unveil. I'd like to find out if these next gen TiVo's are going to have Bluray drives. Are S2 devices going to get the ethernet support the Chinese boxes have? What sort of VOD is in the works?

The iPod/PSP software will probably get a lot of press, but from my perspective it isn't a huge deal and any sort of conversion features through TiVo Desktop are overdue. The'll probably have the new adapter on display... again not a huge deal, but pretty interesting to see hardware other than TiVo boxes being produced, packaged, and sold.

The anti-TiVo news also interests me... what sort of portable does DTV have in the works?? And is Apple (after CES at MacWorld) really announcing some sort of media center PC (very possible - a good way to sell more shows and then movies) and will it offer PVR features (doubt it).

Anyone else catch the stock story from yesterday? Some firm changed their rating from Hold to Sell saying nothing in 2006 excites them. Weird, guess they didn't hear about China, Comcast, and HD. (Yes, I know stock talk is banned, that's why I'm being brief.:))

11. Dec 29, 2005 #11 of 291
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    The iPod/PSP compatability is part of a larger TiVo desktop initiative. Don't forget the watermarking and later in the year Mac compatibility.

also here is hoping rocketboom is just a teaser and they have more video download partnerships (diggination anyone) to announce at CES.

PS - I love how the internet spawns these reports. Everybody in a rush and no one looks to even find two independent sources anymore to make sure they read the first one right.

12. Dec 29, 2005 #12 of 291
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    The watermarking IS interesting... at least to a dozen of us on the board. ;) I wonder if that gets communicated at CES? If not to the press, to the NBCs of the world who might want to sue?

I guess since I've reported legit stuff before, some sites are more likely to take me at face value these days? Granted, I've never heard of TGDaily before but they are crawled by Googles News or Yahoo News so it might continue to spread. (Again, good thing they didn't give me credit!) The silly thing is, my secret source was one of those CES spam emailings - theoreticly quite a few people got the same message (at least one Engadget writer I know also got it) and could confirm or reject as neeed. Anyhow, I changed a few words on my original post for the sake of clarity but there's no turning back. Ah well!

EDIT: Looks like PVRWire misunderstood first. What I wrote made perfect sense to me! ;)

13. Dec 29, 2005 #13 of 291
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    wondering of the watermarking is a way to drop the DRM or is a response to how easy it is to break the DRM on a .tivo file? and what kind of DRM will be done on a Mac ? Will it just be a quicktime plugin and thus even easier to "break" since with quicktime you can just dump it to an mpeg without needing to add in any extra software. Will this mean that Macs get predominance at handling TiVo video?

But the Cable Card TiVo - if they show a working model complete with ethernet - will be such a big deal that other things take a small seat to the side. Of course portbale Video players can generate some good buzz, I would expect multiple companies to be reporting on that again. Be nice to hear Intel or AMD has a chipset that is actually going to be used in marketable devices

14. Dec 29, 2005 #14 of 291
    Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl

TGDaily is part of TomsHardware which is a very popular hardware review and news site. I have been a frequent visitor of it for many years. I am quite surprised that they didn't quote you on their article as it's very much out of the norm for them. Anyway they are usually a pretty good site. :)

15. Dec 29, 2005 #15 of 291
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Ah... I know Tom's Hardware - good stuff! Maybe they saw it elsewhere or maybe because the details were sketchy they didn't say which web sites. I know PVRWire and Engadget ran with it too... there could be others. Either way, I prefer not to be mentioned in connection with misinformation. ;) I'm not perfect but I try to get it right and cite other sites when applicable.

16. Dec 29, 2005 #16 of 291
    megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Odd - no phone calls for me. I get plenty of email, but I setup a dedicated email address so it all stays in its own box.

So, does that mean you're going or not?

17. Dec 29, 2005 #17 of 291
    megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I always try to take things back to a primary source. Whenever I see a report on another blog, even those I trust, I look for them to link to the source and/or I search for other sources that coroborate the information. If anything is shaky I'll either not repeat it in TiVo Lovers, or I'll qualify it as a rumor. I've seen too many 'facts' spread around over the years.

18. Dec 29, 2005 #18 of 291
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Normally I don't answer my phone when I don't recognize the numbers, but one was NYC and figured it was the Engadget guys. Turns out Samsung wants show me some stuff at CES... unless they're showing me a LCD HDTV that I can take home, I'm not so interested. ;) Netgear sent me an invite to a party in the private House of Blues nightclub on the top of Mandalay Bay which was amusing. Hanging out with the Netgear executive staff doesn't sound very stimulating though the view looks impressive and who am I to turn down free food/drinks.

I'm most likely not going at this point. If I went with Engadget I'd be "working" the whole thing, and I waited too long to book a hotel on my dime. Also I used most of my work leave relocating my mom - her car was totalled (she should get the insurance check next week) and she had to move into a hotel for a few weeks followed by another apartment after Wilma thrashed her part of South Florida. So at the moment I have 4.91 hours of leave and get 6.67 more 1/1/06 which is close enough to the 16 hours I'll need. If a great deal shows up on Priceline or somewhere it's still possible, though unlikely. I'm thinking I'll have more fun reading about it all rather than dealing with the feeding frenzy myself. (I do have a new camera, the Panasonic Lumix FX9, with builtin image stablization that I'm looking forward to trying out though...)

I think Alex of TiVoBlog is going. Haven't heard anything from PVRWire or PVRBlog and assume they aren't covering it in person. So will TiVoLovers be represented?

19. Dec 29, 2005 #19 of 291
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Yes, that is the right way to do it and I think you and Dave are usually looking more for solid info or interesting rumor than just the outright scoop so should not have been so all inclusive. I also am surprised that Tom's Guide daily would have jumped on such an odd "idea" of TiVo and DirectTV entering an agreement on portable Video.

20. Dec 30, 2005 #20 of 291
    megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yeah, this'll be my 3rd year going to CES. The first year I was ill-prepared and overwhelmed. Last year went more smoothly.