Less than 3 months, Bolt Dead

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by bellbm, Nov 22, 2018.

1. bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago

Advertisements

Went to watch tv this afternoon, and noticed 4 flashing lights on my less than 3 months old Bolt.
    Very disappointing. Laughable when I called support and they said to try plugging it into a different outlet.
    Anyway, a "replacement" is on the way, but I'm really disappointed. Not even 90 days??? What junk.

Thinking selling my "replacement" unit and buying a roamio on Ebay. Any thoughts? Do you think an older Roamio is more reliable than these new junk bolts?

Really upset that I got rid of my Roamio for this.

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Have had my Bolt for a year-and-a-half, now, and no issues (knock wood). For whatever it's worth, as you've seen, TiVo seems to have a more liberal replacement policy (gallows humor).

If you want to go the Roamio route, note that TiVo should be offering a refurb. Roamio 1TB OTA, with included Lifetime subscription, for $299, as part of its on-going Winterfest sale, starting tomorrow. (And if you're a cable person and don't mind a modest hack, a cablecard adapter can be purchased and be added to it, fairly easily--there is a thread here on the topic.) I purchased a refurb. Roamio OTA from TiVo a bunch of years ago and have had no issue with it--it felt like it was new out of the box (no scratches or mars/all the feet there/etc.).

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Laugh all you want, but they were not wrong, moving to a different power source and/or removing it from a power strip is considered a standard item in most support scripts for products.

mrsean, jrtroo and compnurd like this.
  4. bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago
    Ok - so maybe I should try plugging it in to the wall directly? I guess at this point I’ll try anything since I don’t want to lose all of my one passes

5. djones18

djones18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Alexandria, VA

Advertisements

I would suggest you have a backup TiVo if you go with the Bolt again. My first Bolt + lasted 16 months. Hard drive died. TiVo replaced it out-of-warranty for $50.00. I still have a TiVo HD and a TiVo Premiere which have operated flawlessly for many years. One of these duplicated the One-Pass recordings from my Bolt +. Glad I did this as I lost about 200 hours of recorded programming on the Bolt. Loosing everything you've recorded can be very frustrating.

When a DVR with the great UI, flexibility and recording hours TiVo has allows me to save my recorded programming to the cloud in case of equipment failure, I'll be jumping ship in a heartbeat. Or maybe TiVo will add this capability, at additional cost, in the future.

6. bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago
    I had TiVo HD for 5 years, no problems. And my roamio was fine after 5 years too. I wish I would have never sold it. Now that I’m noticing the inferior picture quality others have mentioned about the Bolt, I think I’m ready to go back to roamio. I hope they have one on sale tomorrow as someone mentioned up thread.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    One drive going bad does not make a box junk. Your sample size is a little too small, and interpolating data from a forum samplimg is also silly, and clearly very biased. Hard drives go bad. Sucks, but they are easily replaced. I have it on good authority tivo does not manufacture the drives themselves.

8. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Their has been a lot of posts of Bolt problems needing replacement.

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    True. I've never seen the multitude of complaints for previous models. Pretty clear that the drives are not as robust as the old 3.5 inch drives. Not sure if it's the drives or the heat. I've taken steps to reduce the heat in hopes that will extend the drive life.

10. ohboy710

ohboy710 Member

Jun 30, 2008
    My roamio has been going strong for over 6 years (gave it to mom). My first bolt died after 13 months. They put crappy hard drives in the bolts and not enough cooling. I added a fan below my replacement to help.

11. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    It really is sad that the Bolt doesn’t meet the standards of the former TiVos as far as build quality. I also added some external cooling as a precaution hoping that it will prevent future problems. In my opinion the bolt’s hardware is very responsive and very much improved but it leaves a lot to be desired as far as design.

12. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    My Bolt has been running fine for over 2 yrs. I went through 3 Roamios in 4 yrs although the last one is still running fine. Each had a tuner fail.

compuguy and Mikeguy like this.
  13. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    On my third Bolt in less than a year. I feel ripped off. Tivo used to be great but now they simply suck. Their hardware is flaky and prone to overheating. Their software is flaky, the UI is a cluster and their "technical support" is neither technical or supportive.

14. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    With no data to back this up, I have always felt when I did notebook repair that the 2.5" drives were much more delicate than the 3.5".
    I had also liked the shock mounting (the rubber isolation discs) with the larger drives that are not used with the smaller drives.

compuguy likes this.
  15. aspexil

aspexil Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Our Tivo Bolt with a 2Gb drive I put in has been running since we got it in 2015 when they were released. We are OTA only and no cable card. It has been on a laptop cooling pad for the past year with OTD of 52 even when the Mini is streaming from it.

I can't comment about the Roamio as I never had one.