Left Directv...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by joemamafresh, Oct 29, 2011.

1. joemamafresh

joemamafresh New Member

Jan 26, 2003
    BLOOMINGTON,...
    Is the TiVo Premier box a dual-tuner? I just left Directv because they're dropping FX (And American Horror Story), so I'd love some info on it. The Premier Elite is a "little" pricey for me...
    Thanks guys...
    ~joey~

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, dual tuners, but for antenna or cable, not dish, u-verse, or direcTV. FYI. You may need cable cards, they are provided by the cable co.

The Premiere Elite is for digital cable only.

Tivo require a Tivo service subscription to operate, $19.99 a month.

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Or a one time fee of $499, generally a far better deal than paying monthly.

4. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    I know this is going to be speculation only but, do you think those of us that want to use Antenna only in the future should get the Premier (not Elite) now? I'm asking because when I retire I only want to have antenna only and I'm worried that TiVo and possibly others will only manufacture DVR's that are for digital cable or satellite only.

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    lujan asks a good question. Of course, you should not worry lujan because we live in the age of Ebay, and you will be able to find the TiVo that meets your needs there, especially lot of Premiers.

6. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    You may not realize that the threat to drop FX is just a negotiating tactic between DirecTv and Fox, and chances are they won't drop FX at all (or not for long anyway.) This kind of crap comes up every time DirecTv has to renegotiate a contract with one of the network groups. They usually come to an agreement at the last minute. (And it's not just DirecTv. Cable companies and Dish often go through this same exercise when they renegotiate a contract.)

Just saying you might have wanted to hold off for a week or so.

7. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    If you are going to leave D*, do it because of the ever increasing prices. That is my plan, and Tivo is part of it. I picked up a leaf antenna last week, and I get great reception with it. Now I just need to convince the wife...

8. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    But not always...RIP G4.

9. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    I made the leap a month ago from DirecTV to Comcast and I'm saving $50/month for the next year and will be saving $30/month after that. Over the next two years (the commitment window D* wanted), that saves me $960! That covers my two Premieres with Lifetime...the Elite is a different story, but the features available on the Premier series is incredible. We're using Amazon, Hulu and Netflix like we never really could before. Due to that, we may scale back our Comcast package for even more savings.

The wife is happier too. We now have 1 remote to do it all and she can access Hulu and Netflix without me helping. The Quad-Tuner Elite is a savior too! We no longer have to play "guess what is recorded on which TiVo" or the occasional missed show due to the dual tuner conflict.

TiVo has a good product line in the Premiere, however they do need to iron out a few bugs. They are also on the edge of greatness with the Elite if only they would get their act together and start selling the Preview slave units so we can truly have a whole-home DVR solution.

10. cbessant

cbessant New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    DTV prices are getting a tad obnoxious. And, the majority of the channels are just junk (same w/competitors). I won't bring up the DirecTivo mess.

In my case, it is either OTA, Dish or DTV. I'd make the jump to cable or Uverse if I could. I call it "voting with my Dollars". This is THE ONLY thing too many companies listen too.

Good example: I called my credit union last week, and when I was done I asked if they were getting new subscribers due the the debit fee being imposed by commercial bank. The answer was a strong YES. 90% of consumers don't need a commercial bank. The new debit card fees really ticked people off. My credit union pays members back up-to $5 each month in ATM fees. Now, the commercial banks are talking about rolling back the new $5/month debit card fee. You can vote with you Dollars.

11. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    I have a plan of leaving Dtv too. I've already have 2 Tivo premieres and an antenna still in the box. As soon as my house is completely built and I get to move in to it, I will check to see if I can recieve all my OTA network channels. If I'm good on that I can say bye to Dtv next August. I'm still under contract until then.

With streaming Netflix, I'm sure I'll never miss them and their around $90 a month bill.

12. Spiky

Spiky Macman

May 30, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I left DTV a year ago. Most shows we watch are on OTA, anyway, and the rest are available online at their websites or through Hulu, although TNT is f****** with people recently.

It's gone reasonably well without pay TV, had issues with my HTPC-based DVR, so rejoined the Tivo world this month.

I loved DTV, but just couldn't handle the price anymore, or ESPN's crap. Dropping that $94 bill gave me space to have high speed internet to cover all the net-based TV we now watch.

And I really don't miss the kids watching junk cartoon reruns daily. Easier to control with internet and computers than with a settopbox.

If you want a great example of dollar-voting, read Netflix' recent activity.

13. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Wow. No G4 on DTV?

It amazes me that some people are so ardently loyal to a company that has become nothing more than cable from the sky. I've saved over $1500 since dropping them four years ago. They've raised their prices at least twice as often as my cable provider during that time span.

For those looking at the OTA option, keep in mind that if you have cable Internet you can probably get a very good deal on a basic cable bundle.

14. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Yup... A year ago the song was the same, just the network was different (G4). A year before that it was the Versus and WEC networks they kicked. Versus was back 6 1/2 months later, but hockey fans took it in the shorts. Each and every time DirecTV is out publicly painting the content provider as the bad guy. I'm beginning to see a pattern, how about you?

G4:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/11/directv-drops-comasts-g4-in-latest-tussle-between-media-giants.html

Versus:
    http://urdirt.com/2009/09/02/direct-tv-officially-drops-versus-and-the-wec-blames-comcast-cable/

15. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    ditched DTV about 2 months ago... really happy with my Premiere and Verizon Fios.

don't plan on heading back either.

16. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    And the content provider's always paint DirecTV as the bad guy. Yep I see the pattern.

And as predicted:
    DirecTV, Fox networks reach new deal

:)

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The pattern is when the content providers want more money your satellite/cable provider will give it to them and your costs will go up by more than the increased programing costs.

18. ski9600

ski9600 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Hi, I got the Premier XL when it was released (2 years ago?) and it was/is awesome then my cable provider (which used to/still does receive signal from a huge antenna and a satellite) switched providers to DISH about 9 months later. Now they claim that they won't provide a CableCARD for Tivo because they are a satellite system receiving the signal from DISH and it's not compatible with the Tivo. However, they are pumping one signal through the old cable/satellite system for a small village of about 1500 beds. IMHO they are still a cable provider.

However, they are claiming that they only provide SmartCARDS and can't provide a CableCARD for the Tivo unit.

Is there a hack for this?
    Is that legal?

Thanks,
    Ski

19. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Where they get their feed should be irrelevant. If you use a satellite receiver, it's a satellite system; if they deliver the content to your house via a cable network feeding a cable-type set-top box, it's a cable system. Satellite systems are technologically incompatible with TiVo. Are they claiming that they don't use the QAM signals used by cable systems? Are their set-top boxes completely different from those used by cable companies? Most cable company set-top boxes these days use cable cards just like the ones used in TiVos.

20. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    I just went ahead and bought a second Premiere in case the later ones don't allow OTA alone. It was so cheap on Amazon I figured "why not?" I know there might be more monthly costs but thought it was good to have a spare anyway.