Leaving D* for Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by qposner, Feb 19, 2008.

1. qposner

qposner New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Vancouver, WA

Advertisements

I can't believe I am doing it, but Comcast offered the triple play for $129.99 with the Preferred Plus package, HBO and Starz. It goes to $164 after 1 year, which is still less than what I pay for D*, Vonage and Comcast broadband right now.

Anyhow, I don't know much about the Series 2 and 3 tivos. If someone could explain the differences, I would appreicate it. Also, I have read in the past about a Series 3 Lite for $299. Any further word on that?

Thanks!

2. dorian

dorian Resident Noob

Feb 16, 2008
    Mountain...
    The Series 3 Lite as you are calling it is already out. https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxdetails.do?boxName=180hourtivohd&boxsku=R65216 You can also pick it up at electronics stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, and Fry's.

The Series 3 "Lite" (called the Tivo HD) utilizes HD but doesn't deliver THX, and you can have the Comcast CableCard(s) installed so you don't have to use their cable box. You currently lose the "On-Demand" features as well as Pay Per View from Comcast if you go with a CableCard.

Its confusing to say the least because its hard to find all the information in one place. I searched around here for days, then bought the Tivo HD. I learned a lot more after I had it at home.

3. qposner

qposner New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks, Dorian.

As it turns out, when I called D* to cancel, they gave me a great deal so I will stay with them for the rest of my contract. Free HR20 and I keep my HR10-250, $26 a month off for the next 12 months (remainder of my contract), free moving and NO EXTENSION to my contract!

So, looks like it is 12 more months of D*.

4. riekl

riekl New Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Watch your bill carefully. I'll bet you DO get an extention regardless of what they told you on the phone.

Those contracts are the only way D* is able to keep subscribers since they aren't competing on any meaningful front anymore.

5. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX

Advertisements

When that HR20 lands, you'll have a new 2 year committment with DirecTV.

Death, Taxes, and the 2 year DirecTV committment. Things you can bank on.

6. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    Another $5 on the surprise extension. Sorry.

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    +1 . There is no doubt that you WILL get a new 2 year contract... regardless of what they told you on the phone.

8. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    You still have a chance, if the HR20 hasn't arrived yet.

9. Onazuka

Onazuka New Member

Sep 22, 2001
    Maryland
    I did the same thing ! Got Comcast triple play and got rid of DirecTV, and Vonage. For at least the next year my bill dropped by $35/mo and I got Starz and unlimited phone calling which I didn't have before.